Openhabian and multiple zigbee coordinators

I use two zigbee coordinators, therefore I have two z2m processes running.

I’m studying the possibility of using openhabian. I’ve installed it and noticed that it has support for one z2m process. Is it possible to use two z2m processes ? How ?

I doubt openHABian has built in support for multiple instances of any service. But you should be able to have openHABian config one instance and then you’ll need to follow the instructions for a manual installation of zigbee2mqtt to install the second one. Make sure to change the ports used by the second instance.

As an aside, it seems odd that zigbee2mqtt doesn’t support multiple controllers by itself on one instance.

I think most Z2M users add routers if they need to have more end devices than the coordinator can handle on its own. If so, there’s not much value in adding the capability for a second coordinator in one Z2M instance.

I need two zigbee networks to detect car presence near the garage and not in the front street. I would prefer to have a single zigbee network but in that case I need to know if the car is in the front street or in the rear street.

Very interesting use case! How are you using the coordinators to determine that? Is it based on which coordinator the car connects to first?

I wonder if you could get the same results using the Zigbee binding for one of your coordinators.

The house and garage are two separate buildings in a rectangle of 30x10 meters. The coordinators are rj45 and use different zigbee channels.The car (and other devices in the garage) are paired with only one coordinator. I have 2x cat6 cable between house and garage to connect AP and zigbee coordinator. The front street has zigbee signal from the house coordinator but is too far away from the garage coordinator to receive any signal from it.

I thought about that but my coordinators are not in the binding support list. Furthermore I’m using some custom devices supported by z2m and I doubt that the binding supports them.

Why not habe two zigbee devices in the car itself and pair each of them with a different coordinator in z2m?
So you can easily distinguish the car locations.
Using mqtt binding any logic required could be added.

But personally I’d prefer adding repeaters, this would allow to link devices on Zigbee level only without the need to have z2m or OH running (fallback solution)

Thanks but, at least for the moment, I don’t need to know when the car is in the front street. I just do not want that the car, passing in the front street, opens the garage door (in the rear street) and this is achieved by having a zigbee network in the garage not powerfull enough to cover the front street.