I’m just starting with OH2, to see if it’s the right fit I tried to read as much in the forum as possible but would like to ask also for your feedback/inputs.
- RaspberryPie 3+ running OpenHABian OR Raspbian as a Control/Webserver
- Remote Access capability via reverse proxy
- Running a separate Media-Server (e.g. Plex, Emby,…)
- Controlling media-server via OpenHAB
- Controlling various devices (lights, …) via MQTT
- Creating own custom UI for the overall Home-Network (Media, Control, …)
My questions are related to the capabilities of OpenHAB as a Control Server as well as a Webserver:
- If I understood this post (Advice about making a custom UI) well, any custom UI can communicate with OpenHAB via the REST APIs, correct?
- What would be the advantages/disadvantages of REST API vs. a MQTT communication?
- Assuming having an own Custom UI (probably written in React), would OpenHABian being able to host a react webapp? Or would I need to install (a full) nginx?
- Reading about the reverse proxy with nginx (https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/security.html#running-openhab-behind-a-reverse-proxy) it is already included in OpenHABian. Can this instance of nginx also be configured as a Webserver (hosting React)?
Or would you rather recommend to use Raspbian on the Pi and install OpenHAB in parallel to NGINX?
Thank you in advance for your feedback/inputs!