OpenHABian first-boot.sh fails multiple times on a fresh Raspberry Pi 2 installation

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 2
    • Java Runtime Environment: OpenJDK 1.8.0-152
    • openHAB version: 2.3.0-1
  • Issue of the topic: Easy first time setup breaks multiple times, not fixable by beginners

I decided to begin with a fresh install because of to much problems with my Z-Wave infrastructure. It should be easy with OpenHABian.

The /boot/first-boot.sh Script failed for the first time at

2018-07-27_10:39:37_UTC [openHABian] Installing additional needed packages… FAILED
2018-07-27_10:39:40_UTC [openHABian] Initial setup exiting with an error!

When restarted (the script or the whole Raspberry Pi) then it would stop everytime at

2018-07-27_10:37:14_UTC [openHABian] Cloning myself… FAILED

because “/opt/openhabian” already exists and git gives back an error code.
Workaround 1: remove or move /opt/openhabian out of the way for every other try of reinstalling.
Workaround 2: insert an if not exists “/opt/openhabian” directory condition into first-boot.sh before cloning it.

Then it got to installing Node.js. That failed.

Installing the NodeSource Node.js 8.x LTS Carbon repo…

Populating apt-get cache…

I don’t know if it is the best idea to install Node.js without asking at first time install, because Node.js infrastructure is volatile to say the least. I guess it’s as a dependency of the now log file viewer.

So as a Linux Pro I keep on nursing the script for hours until it comes to a successful end, because otherwise it will start over and over with every reboot.

I hope reporting these two hicups is useful to others.

Thanks for the script and the effort nethertheless.

Greenoid.

Do you have used this instruction

and the 1.4.1 download?

Yes. I used the

Raspberry Pi image v1.4.1:
openhabianpi-raspbian-201804031720-gitdba76f6-crc9e93c3eb.img.xz

and the OpenHABian instructions.

I skipped nodejs und frontail installation and now the script comes to a successful end and the web-front-ends appear (after a while). Now I can reconfigure my OpenHAB to see my Z-Wave and LaCrosse Sensors.

I had this same issue. All I did was
Sudo apt-get update then reboot. All has been working.

I wanted to submit an issue in git, but never verified the problem again. Looks like maybe I should verify and submit an issue?