openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Nope. I just downloaded, unpacked and executed the “influxdb” binary.

No need for that - I think you have more than convinced us that you are far from it with the work you have done so far, :smile:

Thanks… works great!

just an idea, is it possible to choose between the current "stable beta " and nightly build versions?

Or switch from nightly build back to beta4?

its always been acm0 b4, i have multiple rpi installs and sticks. i added to dialout group, still no success.

I completely forgot. …dumb me…/dev/ttyACM0 is the specified port, not just ACM0…I apologize.

Great installation process to get started when you need it quick and dirty …

I have one issue with finding the UUID for the installation, directory structure is not similar to OH2 documentation. I cannot find the /webapps/static directory nor the files secret, uuid, version

Found the files in
/var/lib/openhab2/uuid
/var/lib/openhab2/myopenhab/secret

did not find version file.

Works from inside the house now, will step out in the morning and try

Great work

See the Migration tutorial, towards the bottom I talk about my.openhab and the location of those files.

Hello @Abo,
the file structure is exactly as described in http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#file-locations

webapps/static has moved to /etc/openhab2/html

how do i use the rpi gui? cant use startx

I am 99.9% sure that Thom configured openHABian to not install X. It is intended to run as a headless server and be administered over the network using ssh.

i find it easier to search files with a graphical interface, but use terminal as a vopy paste from the gui. can it be installed?

If you want Xwindows you would probably be better off installing the standard Raspbian Image (not Jessie Lite) and installing OH 2 yourself instead of trying to install Xwindows on top of openHABian.

NOTE; From the command line I use find and grep to easily find files.

For example to find all my .items files but I forgot where they are in my /opt/openhab folder I’d run:

find /opt/openhab | grep items

@rlkoshak is totally right. openHABian was build with a headless Rasperry Pi server in mind. You shouldn’t rely on a Gui and even worse, a keyboard, mouse and display connected to it. Without the xserver openHABian is slimmer and less resource hungry. You should use the console for the (hopefully not too many) modifications you need to make to your system from your powerful better device. A very good, fun and interactive tutorial set for linux can be found here: https://linuxjourney.com

However I do not want to tell you what to do. If you are sure you want the extra weight, that’s not to complicated. Follow an tutorial similar to this one: Raspbian Lite - Install and configure with LXDE | Peter Moulding.com

Not that it is of importance here but that’s not really the ideal solution. I have to agree that find is not the easiest to use. http://bencane.com/2012/07/22/cheat-sheet-21-useful-find-commands

A lovely alternative is locate, which is a bit different as it works with an index locate › Wiki › ubuntuusers.de

locate is not installed by default on Raspbian Jessie Lite for sure. I don’t remember installing it so it must come with Ubuntu 16.1 (I need to check if the cron job has been running to index my files, I have some mounts I probably want to skip if it has).

Typically I wouldn’t recommend find for most things unless you know what you are doing, but if you want a POSIX only solution to finding a file without learning the Swiss Army Knife of find, it doesn’t get any simpler than piping the names of all your files into a grep to search for what you want.

Inefficient, yes. But its guaranteed to work on all POSIX systems. And it is a lot easier to say :

find / | grep myfile

than it is to say

“OK, first you need to install locate, then wait for it to run its first index of all your files…go get a cup of coffee… now you can run locate myfile.”

It is indeed a better tool in the long run but sometimes that is an exercise better left for the student. :wink: But with the above all the user really needs to know how to use is grep, which is a much simpler tool.

But, as the saying goes, there are a thousand ways to skin a cat. (English sayings are weird sometimes.)

ok, thanks guys.

Not much to add here. I basically agree in all you said. this+that is always better than not knowing how to do it at all :smiley: Looking at it like this, I actually like your find+grep approach. To be honest, my find magic is a bit rusty itself. Regarding locate, yes it is not installed by default, not even on openHABian (which I’ll have to change), but it’s a tool worth mentioning anyway.

@Branden_Smale hope you found a solution you are comfortable with. I wanted to suggest one other solution you might accept as comfortable: Connect to your raspberry pi via ssh (more precisely sftp) with Filezilla. With this file client you can access all files, search and edit in-place.

If that is a MUST, then you could go with
tightvncserver and a vnc client on your desktop.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/vnc/

i will ssh i guess, just havent much experience with it, will just take practice. thank for the insight.

what is the best way to update to the latest snapshot? apt-get? via ssh

Exactly.
Connect via ssh, then type

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

That’s not only the best way to do an upgrade, it’s the only one :wink:

thanks