openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

I successfully installed RaspBian, but I had to modify the DNS settings of the router in order to connect to the network. In practice I added the google dns (8.8.8.8), and then all proceeded smoothly.
LoinHe

Hello Karel,
openHABian can be used on the Pine64. In fact we are providing an image for the pine. The alternative is always to install a normal Debian/Ubuntu based system and execute openHABian from there. Both paths will result in the full openHABian experience.

See:

@Lionello_Marrelli you went the manual setup path then?

How much faster is a pine64 vs rpi3 or rpi2?

Hi,

thanks for Openhabian, it is making life so much easier.

I have had Openhabian running OH2 for several months now, but today I used openhabian-config menu to upgrade to OH 2.1.0. But after the upgrade my PI3 is changing MAC-address every reboot, making it impossible to assign IP in my DHCP.
Anyone have any experience with this?

I ran the following command:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
And have read that revision should be something different than 0000.
processor : 0
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 38.40
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4

processor : 1
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32

processor : 2

processor : 3

Hardware : BCM2709
Revision : 0000
Serial : 000000007dc3326f

No. I simply reflashed and started again after having added the google dns in the router (a fritzbox) settings.

1 Like

You need to find the problem in your operating system, not openHAB:

If you are using wifi and ethernet, your Pi may connect wired or wireless alternately after each reboot, resulting in a different mac adress.
Also take a look here:

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for fast reply.

I could not get MAC-address to stop changing, but I configured static-IP so it works for now.

In the files it say I have kernel for RPI 2 but I am running RPI3, could this be the reason, or something I should bother to investigate?

Best regards

Jostein

I found this posting:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=90975#p95876

So, if

cat /proc/cpuinfo 

gives you something like

BogoMIPS	: 697.95
Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xb76
CPU revision	: 7

Hardware	: BCM2708
Revision	: 0000
Serial		: 0000000000000000

(serial and revision is 0)

the first step would be to

Add these to config.txt:
program_serial_random=1
program_board_rev=2

Then reboot and undo the editing of config.txt (this is the one in boot-space)
After that steps, the serial number should stay permanent and so should the MAC.

Negligible. But please keep this thread clean on-topic.

Sorry - anybody here can confirm credentials to access openhabian installation via samba share? Tnx

http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html#raspberry-pi

Thanks Thom - don’t know why are not working. Anyway, i aimed to download a copy of openhab folder and i used winscp.

Hello and thanks for your reply.

My concern is, that Pine-A64 and Pine-64LTS are slightly different regarding the hardware, even the producer states, that Pine-A64 images cannot be used on Pine-64LTS

From https://www.pine64.org/?product=pine-a64-lts:

2. OS builds same as SOPINE platform due to LPDDR3 memory configuration. Please don’t select Pine A64+ OS builds.

For this reason I am wondering whether I can use the pre-build OpenHabian image or have to set up OpenHabian manually (Debian/Ubuntu + OpenHAB)

I can’t answer that for sure but that’s not really important. The manual openHABian installation doesn’t take much time and in the end you’ll reach the same results. The prebuild images are a treat for everyone using them but behind the scene they call the openHABian scripts just as you will following the manual path.

Hello Thom, many thanks for your time and for pointing me to the installer. I am sure I can install some minimal Debian/Ubuntu Image on the Pine64-LTS in a way it boots from the emmc module.

1 Like

I know the Stretch openHABian image isn’t ready due to the Mosquitto install problem. When openHABian does eventually go over, is it going to be a breaking change that requires a fresh install? I am having some problems and am planning to do a fresh install anyway… but I’m hoping to not do it twice.

Hey @Dome, my answer is a bit mixed.

The new openHABian image will be based on stretch and existing installations will not be upgraded to stretch automatically. In the long run a small gap might open between old and new systems. However you have to know, that it would be possible for you to upgrade an existing jessie installation to stretch manually. In the end differences between the two distributions are mostly unimportant for us.

In conclusion I’d say it might be worth to wait for the new image but I wouldn’t wait for it if the problems you mentioned need to be dealt with rather sooner than later.

Debian Stretch and Raspbian Stretch brought some interesting changes and I want to get them into openHABian. One blocking issue was the mosquitto dependency error, for which there is at least a workaround available.

openHABian stretch - estimated date

I am traveling the coming week and it might take some days to configure, test and deploy the new openHABian image. I can’t make any promises yet. Maybe I can spare a few days at the end of October. If anyone knows a good reason why the stretch image should be available rather sooner than later, let me know :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Thom

There seems to be small issue with the install instruction for openhabian on the raspberry Pi. When I got to the step where I tried to mount the Samba Shares I executed the following command on the Pi:

sudo chown -hR openhab:openhab /etc/openhab2 /opt/openhab2/conf

This returned an error

chown: cannot access ‘/opt/openhab2/con’: No such file or directory

I had a look at the file locations in the manual installation instructions and it seems that this file is for the manual install not the pre-configured image?

Anyway I went ahead and tried to get access from Windows10 (latest update) . No luck. This surprised as I had a previous version of Openhabian and that was working OK.

I made sure I had the correct Windows WORKGROUP in the Samba config file on the Pi. I had to change that as I had changed the Windows default. Didn’t change anything else.

I updated the Windows 10 Credentials to tell Windows the correct login details See Control Panel/User Accounts/Credential Manager/Windows Credentials and add the Raspberry Pi Samba user and password. Still no luck.

Then I found a site that showed how to access a list of shared folders on the Pi

net rpc share list -U openhab where openhab is the user name you are using and omit the **

This gives the ACTUAL names of your shared folders.

For me these were:
openHAB-share
openHAB-conf
IPC$
openhab

I then used the FileExplorer/This Computer/ Add network location . When it asked me for the address I typed in

\192.168.1.39\openHAB-share {change to your ip address and the folder name you are mapping}

SUCCESS this worked but only for the “openHAB-share” and the openHAB folders. When I tried to link the openHAB-conf folder, permission was refused. Probably because the chown command failed on that folder as it could not find it 9see comments above). Also I wonder is this openHAB-conf the same folder as found in the openHAB-share and having the same name?

Previously I had not been able to get my Windows computer to recognize ANY of the folder names provided or shown in the documentation. Getting the ACTUAL names using the net command seems to have done the job. So I feel the documentation would benefit from an update in this area. Also I suggest mention of the best command for users to get the shared folder names (thus preventing a problem if the docs get out of sync with the actual)

Apologies if this is a bit long but I have just spent the whole afternoon trying to sort this out and I thought I might provide the steps for others having the same issue

Anyone else seeing this ?

Running “tip of the spear” Openhabian/Openhab2 for months. I update every couple of weeks. Twice in the past week, my USB boot partition (as in “move to USB” from Openhabian) has crashed HARD. Meaning “rebuild your installation from near-scratch” – I say “near” because I was able to mount the crashed USB and copy my config/rules/etc info BUT the important part in both cases is that suddenly the USB drives no longer booted with a “sudo shutdown -r now” ---- Kernel Panic etc…(two different NEW 32 GB Sandisk USBs involved here, which does tend to support some low-level OS issue and/or Sandisk I/F mess-up.)

Random possibilities: (1) some flaky RAM on the Pi3…(2) some OS/OH vulnerability to transient network connectivity — not sure about the first time, but during the second incident there definitely was some questionable connection internet from Comcast…(3) USB-Sandisk low-level fault, (4) zombie apocalypse.

I’ll discount option 4 (for now), but is anyone else seeing this kind of behavior ?

Hi,

I’m running openHABian on a Raspberry 3 since some weeks to control Intertechno and Homematic devices. The openHABian Version is from the 16th of June.

After some technical problems (Intertechno didn’t react) I did a reboot yesterday but since than the system didn’t start anymore. The Raspberry is working (green and red light is on) but that’s it. The dongles are off and also the network connection didn’t start.

Anyone any idea what has happened and if there will be a chance to repair? The SD card itself is readable when I put it in my Mac. And with another SD card with FHEM everything is working.

Many thanks,
Sebastian

PS: No, for sure I don’t have an backup…