openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

I tried to switch to unstable release. Now the openhab is not starting any more. the only entry in the log is:

2017-04-19 16:30:07.273 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped dashboard
2017-04-19 16:30:38.814 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at /start

done it back and forth no chance to get it running.

The pi is 900km away. How can I reinstall the openhabian from remote.

Hello everyone

I installed openhabian three month ago and everything worked very smooth. My only devices i have to control are knx bus devices. Two days ago I installed the Amazondashbutton binding and made an update, Since then everything looks the same (e.g. in HABPanel) i can push the buttons and control the dimmers but nothing happens to my lamps. The gateway to the knx seems to be ok, as it is possible to read the bustraffic via ets.

I dont know wher i should take a look at, to find the failure.

Maybo some of you guys can help me.

THX
Daniel

This happened to me as well. I went to install the latest snapshot and the result was a dead web gui. However, the samba and ssh still works. Go figure. Would love a step-by-step document on switching versions to snapshot directly after a fresh OpenHabian install instead of a reference to a general Linux how-to. I’m running and RPi3 so the devs probably should test OpenHabian version changing since there’s obviously something wrong with it and we’re using the OpenHabian config menu!

Hey @aolshove,
the openHABian menu actually has an entry to switch to the latest snapshots since 2-3 weeks, you didn’t see that?

This entry will however do nothing different than the “general Linux how-to” suggests.

Regarding the problem you are seeing, that’s unfortunate. This happened with a fresh setup? I’m not able to do testing right now (traveling). Could you try purging and reinstalling:

sudo apt purge openhab2
sudo apt install openhab2

Yes, I used that and was gifted with a dead web UI.

After that failed, I went back into the menu and clicked option 12a to try to return to “stable” and the web UI was still dead.

Will try again tonight with a new fresh install. I presume that it’s okay to hit that menu option even before registering any “things” (which is what I’m attempting)?

Thanks.

• Alex O.

Okay, I tried again and this time it worked fine. I think I mucked something up while following the manual directions for installing an addons snapshot (dropping it into the /addons folder) but I didn’t update the rest of OpenHab along with the addons. Maybe that’s where I took a wrong turn? Thanks again.

• Alex O.

Hello, as claims I’m “home atomation enthusiast” (and newbie) but not “linux enthusiast”.

so I follow installation instruction to setup Openhabian in my new raspberry Pi3.
All seems ok, after about 1h I can reach Raspi by ssh, access openhabian-config (little bit strange visualisation indeed) etc…

but I can’t reach by dashboard http://openhabian:8080, and via ssh didn’t appear “welcome message”.
I attach a couple of screenshot.

Can I have an help?

The second screenhsots says the setup process has not been finished.
In config execute steps 01,02,10,11b,12a,13,14 and 41

Actually if something went wrong during installation (a rare case in my experience) you should simply try a fresh start by flashing the image again.

OK, thank you @ThomDietrich . I execute steps 01,02,10,11b,12a,12b,13,14 and 41 but “setup process” is not finished yet.
This evening I try to flash again openhabian image.

Please use either 12a or 12b

Image re-flashed! Done! all OK!
My adventure in openhab world is beginning. Thank you

1 Like

@ThomDietrich
Updated the change password method to work with current HEAD commit on master branch.
Nice progress with the dist so far :relaxed:

Do the karaf console keep openhab as username to reflect OH2 documentation?
I would find it nice if it also used openhabian to have same username for all accounts.

Hello all,

I have some questions regarding the unstable/stable branches:

1.) Is it recommended to switch to the unstable release or should one stay at stable? What are your experiences with unstable?
2.) How often is the unstabe branch merged into the stable release?

Background of my question:

I am currently very happy with the stable release but due to https://community.openhab.org/t/keep-getting-endpoint-0-not-found-cannot-set-command-classes-for-z-wave/10882/11I need a new version of the Z-Wave binding.

Thank you for your help,Nico.

1.) Is it recommended to switch to the unstable release or should one stay at stable? What are your experiences with unstable?

Generally speaking stable branches in aspect of Openhab2 is more of a “working” snapshot of linear development. Eg.
close to the stable release more focus was on merging fixes then new features. Newly developed fixes and patches is mainly pushed into 2.1.0 and not to 2.0.x due to effort it takes to cherrypick across all different bindings.

I would therefor recommend unstable releases until you got a setup that works for you. Then keep it until next stable release or a specific improvement that you need like the one you linked to.

2.) How often is the unstabe branch merged into the stable release?

Openhab have historically had long cycles between stable releases.
OH2 is “new” so we will see how it turns out. Creating a stable release for openhab require the effort to focus all maintainers / contributors for a release as there are so many parts, currently 100+. Then the work of all those people need to be reviewed and merged.

@elias_gabrielsson, thank you very much for your helpful and detailed information!!! Kind regards!

This is an answer for @CurtJohn as a continuation of this thread:

Hey Curt,
you are not the first one to get confused about the intended use case of openHABian on a Raspberry Pi. Maybe it helps to not think of the RPi as a PC as we know it. It is not (necessarily) build to be used with a keyboard and display. You already own a powerful PC or Mac which you should benefit from. It would be a shame to have a powerful computer at your fingertips and then have to restrict yourself to a very limited graphical frontend on another device, wouldn’t you agree?

The intended use case of a lot of these small SBCs is to sit in a corner and provide a service reliably 24/7. You’ll find that most solutions for the RPi are characterized by this.

Moving on. What we actually want and what openHABian is aimed for is a dedicated headless system to reliably execute openHAB and to expose all interfaces needed to interact and configure it (PaperUI, BasicUI, HABPanel, openHAB LogViewer, Samba Network Shares, openHABian Configuration Tool, SSH). If you know how to work with these interfaces, you are set for a way better experience than the alternatives. The main challenge is to get used to the Linux command line, not even a GUI (like Pixel) will relieve you from that in the long run. If you are not willing to teach yourself a few fundamental Linux skills you will not become happy with any Linux system and should resort to a e.g. Windows machine. However as you are willing to tinker with smart home technology, I’m sure you are ready to teach yourself new stuff and expand your experience.

3 Likes

Urgent Notice - Your Help is Needed

If you read this, please execute the Update function in the openHABian Configuration Tool now.
Thank you!

It was brought to our attention that openHABian systems cause requests spikes on remote package update servers. This is a serious problem we were not previously aware of. This unwanted behavior is related to a simple cronjob configuration mistake and the fact that the openHABian user base has grown quite big over the last couple of months.

Every openHABian installation is currently requesting package update information from update servers at 3:03am local time. With hundreds of openHABian installations in certain time zones, these individual requests reach the update servers at nearly the same time, resulting in a DDoS like bombardment of their service.

I have implemented a fix for this issue but have to rely on you, the end users, to apply it.

What to do

1. Connect to your openHABian system via SSH/console
  2. Execute sudo openhabian-config
  3. Select “Update”
  4. Wait for the update to finish
  5. Execute sudo openhabian-config again
  6. You’ll be asked to apply the fix.

These steps are otherwise harmless to your openHAB/openHABian system.

Because the described problem effects other parties we want to resolve it as soon as possible and urge you to update and apply the patch as soon as possible!

1 Like

command not found , pi3 oh2

Are you running openHABian or the stock Rasbpian image on your rPi3?
This thread is for openHABian users and if you are not running it, you are not affected by this issue.

1 Like