openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Something is indeed wrong here, can’t pin it. Please follow the instructions given here: Tutorial (Beginner) catch 22(?) · Issue #384 · openhab/openhab-docs · GitHub - These will soon be part of the official docu.

I have installed openhabian, and acivated habmin. I can open habmin from http://openhabianpi:8080/start/index but none of my configuration in Paper can be seen. There is just “menues” but no content in Habmin, Do I need to make some additional configuration for Habmin to get it to use the info in Paper

so followed the steps in the link, 2-3 times. completly wiped and formatted the card, for a fresh install each time.
sat an watched the led, intermittant blinking for the first 2-3 minutes then switches to fast blinking each time.
also tried fresh download of openhabian.

i’m using putty for ssh , could you possibly help with how to connect with ssh or a link. cant move forward with out it and struggling to learn all i need to guarantee i’m doing it right

After 2-3 minutes nothing much can have happened. You need to have a bit more patience.
You should have a look at the ssh console. Just open Putty, enter “openhabianpi” as address and “22” as the port. When asked for, username and password are openhabian. Remember that all of this is documented at http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html#raspberry-pi
If the address can not be found it might be needed to connect to the ip directly. You’ll need to connect to your DHCP server interface (in a normal household this is a function of your router) and find the IP of the Pi there.

When installing current version of openHABian it shows a failed message “Can’t apply …noobs_os…”. Anyway there seams to be no drawback.
Compared with my other installation based on Raspian Jessie there is cleary more memory available :slight_smile:

One thing I could not get to work is ComfoAir binding. It can read values but it can’t write (response is always null) although I added user “openhab” to group “dialout” (sudo usermod -a -G dialout openhab) and also added to file “/etc/default/openhab2” the extra arguments with line EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/USBair:/dev/USBheating".

Any ideas?

i’ve finaly started with openHABian on my Pine64. but running in the same problem with the RFXcom Binding. (2 weeks old image)

Created an symlink:

Made the changes to

/etc/default/openhab2

Finding this in the log:

[ERROR] [g.rfxcom.handler.RFXComBridgeHandler] - Connection to RFXCOM transceiver failed: invalid port

checking with:

sudo systemctl start openhab2.service

pointed me to a failure regarding the Java Serial port handler RxTx

I’ll have to check my system for all details.

Details from my side:

openhabian@OpenHAB2:~$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_131"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

details from the running service:

● openhab2.service - openHAB 2 - empowering the smart home
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/openhab2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2017-05-29 08:03:52 CEST; 3 days ago
     Docs: http://docs.openhab.org
           https://community.openhab.org
 Main PID: 744 (karaf)
   CGroup: /system.slice/openhab2.service
           ├─ 744 /bin/bash /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/bin/karaf server
           └─1187 /usr/bin/java -Dopenhab.home=/usr/share/openhab2 -Dopenhab.conf=/etc/openhab2 -Dopenhab.runtime=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -Dopenhab.userdata=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dopenhab.logdir=/var/log/openhab2 -Dfelix.cm.dir=/var/lib/openhab2/config -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port=8080 -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port.secure=8443 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyUSBrfxtrx -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/jre/lib/endorsed:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/endorsed:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/endorsed -Djava.ext.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/jre/lib/ext:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/ext:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/ext -Dkaraf.instances=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/instances -Dkaraf.home=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -Dkaraf.base=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dkaraf.data=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dkaraf.etc=/var/lib/openhab2/etc -Dkaraf.restart.jvm.supported=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/lib/openhab2/tmp -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/openhab2/etc/java.util.logging.properties -Dkaraf.startLocalConsole=false -Dkaraf.startRemoteShell=true -classpath /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.boot-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.main-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.osgi.core-6.0.0.jar org.apache.karaf.main.Main

Jun 01 23:22:12 OpenHAB2 start.sh[744]: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
Jun 01 23:23:12 OpenHAB2 start.sh[744]: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver

So it seems that the serial port is not hassle-free.

i got the 32 bit version running;
Topic: 64 bit arm serial

At the moment i’ve made it working with the following commands:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf

Selecting the new installed Java:

sudo update-alternatives --config-java

And after a restart i could use the RFXcom.

Next task for me is to move to config file instead of the GUI and update to the latest openHAB

According to systemd (which is pointing to /usr/lib/systemd/system/openhab2.service) user is “openhab” - so an easy one :smile:

Good day. Today I installed the latest updates via sudo openhabian-config on my RPI3, rebooted, but the openhab was unable to boot. I decided to perform a fresh install. I downloaded the image, wrote it to SD. The installation lasted about an hour. After installation was complete, openhab try to reboot and again nothing

@ThomDietrich I have exactly the same problem.

What to do now and how can I access my config files on the sd card if I have to reinstall everything?

Hi all,

I did the same as user Estranged with the same result. Everyone any idea?

Thx

Use openhabianpi-raspbian-20170318-git9767b24-crc9616e8a1.img.xz instead of openhabianpi-ua-netinst-20170317-gitbd31755f-crc88a5ae46.img.

I have used 20170318-git9767b24-crc9616e8a1.img.xz, but the result was the same. Any other idea? Thanks for your answer!

Best regards

Look at this topic Unable to boot on RPI3 with latest update

Hi,
thanks for nice and easy setup of openhab 2 :slight_smile:
I have installed openhabian on both a PI3 and a PI0. On PI0 I can not figure out how to change SSID and PW. I have tried to enter configuration menu: sudo openhabian-config, and then option: 31 WiFi Setup, but an error appears and saying that this option only works on PI3, the same option is working fine on my PI3.
Have also tried to change in the config file on the memory card where I changed it before installation, without any luck.

Is there anything I am missing? Hoping someone can point me in the right direction :grinning:

has no wifi :grinning: unless you have a pi0w

I am sorry I ment pi0w :wink:

1 Like

Hey Jostein,
openHABian is under constant improvement and while the Pi0W as a supported device and the wifi support as a feature during setup where added, I missed to add the Pi0W as one of the supported devices for function 31.

I’ve implemented the needed change. Would you please Update and test it? https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/pull/150/files

Btw. from the diff you’ll see that the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf is which you normally want to edit in your situation.

Hi,

this worked like a charm! Thank you very much for fast response and nice fix :smile:

Jostein

1 Like

Nice to read I was not the only one struggling! :slight_smile: I spent about a full weekend (and some evenings) and lost the motivation in the process struggling(*) with the Linux setup (never even got to see openHAB). This because the openHABian required Ethernet for the self-configuring part (I only have WiFi where I setup the system) and I tried to learn the Linux part to get it to work anyway… I guess I will give it a second try once I have the time again.

I really like the concept of openHABian and recognize all the time and effort put into it. It is close - but not fully 100% idiot-proof (yet) for Linux-illiterates like me. :wink:

(*) I tried on RPi3b, RP0w and Pine64+ - all with built in WiFi

All,

I used the openhabian-config to switch back to snapshot.
However, after reboot I get a log entry that the packages cannot be found:

[ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-persistence-mapdb, ...

Isn’t the addons’ new location covered by the switch tool from stable to snapshot?
Do I need to install openhab from the openhabian-config again?
(I did not try it yet, because I am afraid to mess it all up :wink:
Thanks in advance.