openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

I would like to switch from stable to snapshot, but I do not find any help following your links
(beside: “If you want to switch over to the testing/beta or the snapshot release branch, please do so manually on the SSH/Linux console.”).
Anyone out there who has experience to move back to the snapshot?
Thanks.

You’ve reached the right place but sadly didn’t give any details about which problems you are facing. There shouldn’t be the need to flash openHABian on your SD card more than once. We are making sure that every update to openHABian can be applied to older setups without problems.

Often when I hear about problems with openHABian the actual problem is the Linux environment. Did you read up on a few Linux basics?

You are trying to get MQTT to work. Did you install Mosquitto? Did you connect from a Desktop client (e.g. mqtt-spy)? Did you configure the mqtt binding? (check the forum for beginner questions regarding the binding)

I saw a message that mqtt was running. Couldn’t find a mqtt software to run to test it. I’m learning and reading. Be back with more detail later.

1 Like

Is there a way to switch after choosing the normal dashboard, to go to expert?
I still can’t use MQTT, but I saw others were talking about enabling legacy to use 1.9.0 mqtt binding with OpenHAB 2

You can edit your /etc/openhab2/services/addons.cfg and set

package = expert

If you install the 1.x Bindings (e.g. MQTT) from PaperUI, the dependencies (including the 1.x compatibility layer feature) will be installed automatically.

If you are experiencing MQTT related issues, open up a new thread with some config and log info and many people will help :slight_smile:

1 Like

wandering if someone can help me,
thought i would take the plunge and set up openhab2 for my home automation project. very new to it all and have found myself stuck early on.

I’m using a raspi 0 w , 16gb microsd card.

i’ve downloaded the openhabianpi-raspbian 206mb

edited the openhabian.conf file to update my wifi settings (do they need to be =“dfgwssgg” )

unzipped and flashed with etcher to the sd card.

plugged in the sd card and given the raspi power

when i’ve checked on it a little while later. the led is blinking like mad (error during setup) when i return the sdcard to the laptop it says there is errors.

as i said new to this , so a bit unsure where to go from here.
cheers for any help

I advice you to use a Pi3 but at least a Pi2. The Pi 0 is a single core board which could be very very slow for the desired task.

Nevertheless it should word on a Zero.

Hey Patrick, the Pi0W is actually perfectly fine for a small apartment setup or to control just a bunch of devices. See the openHABian 1.2 release notes.

@sabbath what you are describing sounds about right. Are your steps 2 and 3 in the wrong order? You need to first flash, then edit the conf file. quotation is not needed. I don’t get this sentence: “return the sdcard to the laptop it says there is errors”. Please try again from the start and connect to the SSH console 1-2 minutes after connecting power. You’ll see the progress of the setup.

Oh, ok. I was not aware of this. Thank you :thumbsup:

thanks thom,
when i put the sd card back in my laptop, in order to restart the whole process it says there is an error in the card (might not be connected, just worth a mention) steps 2 and 3 are in the correct order.

the issue is i cant find the ip address of the raspi, so cant connect to the ssh console.
done an ip scan and looked on my router.

as i said very new and could be making a very rookie basic mistake.

Something is indeed wrong here, can’t pin it. Please follow the instructions given here: Tutorial (Beginner) catch 22(?) · Issue #384 · openhab/openhab-docs · GitHub - These will soon be part of the official docu.

I have installed openhabian, and acivated habmin. I can open habmin from http://openhabianpi:8080/start/index but none of my configuration in Paper can be seen. There is just “menues” but no content in Habmin, Do I need to make some additional configuration for Habmin to get it to use the info in Paper

so followed the steps in the link, 2-3 times. completly wiped and formatted the card, for a fresh install each time.
sat an watched the led, intermittant blinking for the first 2-3 minutes then switches to fast blinking each time.
also tried fresh download of openhabian.

i’m using putty for ssh , could you possibly help with how to connect with ssh or a link. cant move forward with out it and struggling to learn all i need to guarantee i’m doing it right

After 2-3 minutes nothing much can have happened. You need to have a bit more patience.
You should have a look at the ssh console. Just open Putty, enter “openhabianpi” as address and “22” as the port. When asked for, username and password are openhabian. Remember that all of this is documented at http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html#raspberry-pi
If the address can not be found it might be needed to connect to the ip directly. You’ll need to connect to your DHCP server interface (in a normal household this is a function of your router) and find the IP of the Pi there.

When installing current version of openHABian it shows a failed message “Can’t apply …noobs_os…”. Anyway there seams to be no drawback.
Compared with my other installation based on Raspian Jessie there is cleary more memory available :slight_smile:

One thing I could not get to work is ComfoAir binding. It can read values but it can’t write (response is always null) although I added user “openhab” to group “dialout” (sudo usermod -a -G dialout openhab) and also added to file “/etc/default/openhab2” the extra arguments with line EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/USBair:/dev/USBheating".

Any ideas?

i’ve finaly started with openHABian on my Pine64. but running in the same problem with the RFXcom Binding. (2 weeks old image)

Created an symlink:

Made the changes to

/etc/default/openhab2

Finding this in the log:

[ERROR] [g.rfxcom.handler.RFXComBridgeHandler] - Connection to RFXCOM transceiver failed: invalid port

checking with:

sudo systemctl start openhab2.service

pointed me to a failure regarding the Java Serial port handler RxTx

I’ll have to check my system for all details.

Details from my side:

openhabian@OpenHAB2:~$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_131"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

details from the running service:

● openhab2.service - openHAB 2 - empowering the smart home
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/openhab2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2017-05-29 08:03:52 CEST; 3 days ago
     Docs: http://docs.openhab.org
           https://community.openhab.org
 Main PID: 744 (karaf)
   CGroup: /system.slice/openhab2.service
           ├─ 744 /bin/bash /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/bin/karaf server
           └─1187 /usr/bin/java -Dopenhab.home=/usr/share/openhab2 -Dopenhab.conf=/etc/openhab2 -Dopenhab.runtime=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -Dopenhab.userdata=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dopenhab.logdir=/var/log/openhab2 -Dfelix.cm.dir=/var/lib/openhab2/config -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port=8080 -Dorg.osgi.service.http.port.secure=8443 -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyUSBrfxtrx -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/jre/lib/endorsed:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/endorsed:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/endorsed -Djava.ext.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/jre/lib/ext:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/ext:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/ext -Dkaraf.instances=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/instances -Dkaraf.home=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -Dkaraf.base=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dkaraf.data=/var/lib/openhab2 -Dkaraf.etc=/var/lib/openhab2/etc -Dkaraf.restart.jvm.supported=true -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/lib/openhab2/tmp -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/var/lib/openhab2/etc/java.util.logging.properties -Dkaraf.startLocalConsole=false -Dkaraf.startRemoteShell=true -classpath /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.diagnostic.boot-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.jaas.boot-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.apache.karaf.main-4.0.8.jar:/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/lib/boot/org.osgi.core-6.0.0.jar org.apache.karaf.main.Main

Jun 01 23:22:12 OpenHAB2 start.sh[744]: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
Jun 01 23:23:12 OpenHAB2 start.sh[744]: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver

So it seems that the serial port is not hassle-free.

i got the 32 bit version running;
Topic: 64 bit arm serial

At the moment i’ve made it working with the following commands:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre-headless:armhf

Selecting the new installed Java:

sudo update-alternatives --config-java

And after a restart i could use the RFXcom.

Next task for me is to move to config file instead of the GUI and update to the latest openHAB

According to systemd (which is pointing to /usr/lib/systemd/system/openhab2.service) user is “openhab” - so an easy one :smile:

Good day. Today I installed the latest updates via sudo openhabian-config on my RPI3, rebooted, but the openhab was unable to boot. I decided to perform a fresh install. I downloaded the image, wrote it to SD. The installation lasted about an hour. After installation was complete, openhab try to reboot and again nothing

@ThomDietrich I have exactly the same problem.

What to do now and how can I access my config files on the sd card if I have to reinstall everything?