openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

I am syncing the openhab folders to my private cloud with owncloudcmd so I can remotely change rules and debug 2 openhab instances that are not at home.
Therefore I need one folder with all the openhab2 data.
Also when I connect via SCP I have lots of (folder)-switching to do if I want to go from rules to logs etc…
Everything in one place makes it much easier.

I did get you correctly, owncloudcmd accepts symlinks and you are already working with this setup? Sounds like a nice addition :thumbsup: I’d probably build this folder inside the home of the main user, I’d like to keep opt hidden from the unburdened user :wink: Wdyt?

I did not yet check if owncloudcmd follows the symlink because have to collect new cloud logins.
I suspect I will get to it this week. If it doesn’t work we can mount the folders on startup so I think this is not a blocker.

I don’t care about the folder location as I can symlink to the folder then. :wink:

@3DJupp @syrenius @anfaenger maybe you’ve seen the answer here. I can live with that and will leave rpi-update out from now on. Issue solved.

Warning (rpi-update)

Everyone, please be aware that rpi-update is not compatible with openHABian. Execution can break your installation. rpi-update doesn’t serve any purpose for an openHABian installation.

1 Like

I’ll wait for your findings.

Things went a little crazy last night. Rules didn’t fire. While investigating, I realized I no longer have access to my mapped drive. the Pi was not showing up in Windows under Network. Performing “sudo service samba status” gives me “Loaded: masked (/dev/null), Active: inactive (dead)”. Running “sudo service smbd start” gives me “Job for smbd.service failed.”

Linux noob and really no idea what’s going on.

I apt-get update/upgrade, and updated Openhabian via the config menu, performed Upgrade System, Basic Setup, and even did the Samba selection.

Any ideas besides a full fresh install?

First do a backup.

Secondly a side note: service is a legacy command. You should use sudo systemctl status smbd.service

Your situation sounds weird. You could try a clean reinstallation of Samba by first purging, then reinstalling via openhabian-config. I wonder what’s the cause for this random behavior, you should try to figure that out.

Seems like I got the same problem:

With sudo systemctl status smbd.service I get:

@ThomDietrich Can you tell me, what is ment with “by first purging”?

I don’t like the “error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/arm-linux…”, could you please retrieve this and any surrounding lines from /var/log/syslog?

When I do sudo nano syslog, I get permission denied.

1. I don’t see sudo :slight_smile:
  2. instead of dir you should use ll (which is an alias for ls -la)
  3. If you are interested in learning something new, look into the text editor vim. It’s amazing but you’ll have to learn a few things.
  4. Here’s how I would do something like this, as a general advice: open one console and execute sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog - then open a second console and execute sudo systemctl restart smbd.service - observe the first window.
1 Like

Shame on me: Got sudo in mind, but it didn’t reach the keyboard. :slight_smile:

Here is the syslog:

Feb 28 16:44:37 openHABianPi smbd[2418]: Segmentation fault
Feb 28 16:44:37 openHABianPi smbd[2418]: Starting SMB/CIFS daemon: smbd/usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/samba/libutil-tdb.so.0: nonzero padding in e_ident
Feb 28 16:44:37 openHABianPi smbd[2418]: failed!

Now we know the problem we just need to find a solution ;)… hmm what’s special about your system? What did you install on top of the base installation? Did you play around with wifi or bluetooth?

@RHINESEL could you check if your situation is the same?

This morning I switched from openhab 2.0.0-1 (Release Build) to openHAB 2.1.0~20170227013157-1 (Build #814)

Edit: Could this issue be related to sudo openhabian-config when I prepared the Serial Port two days ago?
(see post #751 above)

Edit: Did you play around with wifi or bluetooth? No, not as far as I know.

Seems like the owncloudclientcmd does unfortunately not follow symlinks.
So I edited /etc/fstab and added the following lines:

/usr/share/openhab2 /opt/openhab2/openhab2      none bind
/etc/openhab2       /opt/openhab2/conf          none bind
/var/lib/openhab2   /opt/openhab2/userdata      none bind
/var/log/openhab2   /opt/openhab2/logs          none bind

Sync to cloud runs fine now. :slight_smile:

I get a similar error:

Feb 28 12:49:47 openHABianPi systemd[1]: Started LSB: start Samba daemons for the AD DC.
Feb 28 12:49:48 openHABianPi nmbd[397]: Starting NetBIOS name server: nmbd/usr/sbin/nmbd: error while loading shared libraries: libutil-reg.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Feb 28 12:49:48 openHABianPi nmbd[397]: failed!
Feb 28 12:49:48 openHABianPi systemd[1]: nmbd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Feb 28 12:49:48 openHABianPi systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start Samba NetBIOS nameserver (nmbd).
Feb 28 12:49:48 openHABianPi systemd[1]: Unit nmbd.service entered failed state.
Feb 28 12:49:48 openHABianPi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd)…
Feb 28 12:49:49 openHABianPi smbd[821]: Starting SMB/CIFS daemon: smbd/usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libutil-reg.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Feb 28 12:49:49 openHABianPi smbd[821]: failed!
Feb 28 12:49:49 openHABianPi systemd[1]: smbd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Feb 28 12:49:49 openHABianPi systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start Samba SMB/CIFS daemon (smbd).
Feb 28 12:49:49 openHABianPi systemd[1]: Unit smbd.service entered failed state.

I didn’t do anything yesterday. I might have had a power drop which caused a reboot since one of my thermostats isn’t connecting to the wifi. The only thing I’ve done recently is to do the update to Openhabian but I never restarted the Pi since. I will note that during the update I forgot to remove Java and switch to Zulu but since it was listed as optional I didn’t worry about it and just figured to do it next time.

Edit: Just removed Oracle and added Zulu. No change. Tried to install Samba from the menu again and saw the wrong ELF class warning about the library flash by quickly. Is it pulling the wrong library? Not sure if that library is being downloaded or if it’s something that’s already there that it’s trying to use.

Edit2: Also, my password/user never changed to openhabian:openhabian. That should be the new one when logging in via Putty, right?

A little research indicates that the library class is 64 bits (ELFCLASS64) but Pi2 runs a 32 bit OS. The Pi3 runs 64 bit. Pine64 I’m assuming is 64…

Was this changed in the last update? Sorry if I’m asking silly questions, I barely understand what I’m even typing (hence me using Openhabian!).

Hi there,

did you change anything on the most recent image (openhabianpi-ua-netinst-20170218-git11d8ebc)? I just downloaded and installed the image but the Standard pi/raspberry combo does not work. It just tells me “wrong password” (and no, didn’t use a “z” instead of a “y” :-))

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot
Frank

Well sure there were changes, that’s why there was an update :smiley: You are already on the right track. This is related to the latest release. In fact you just have to read the release notes above the download: https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases

These release notes plus some extra comments were also posted here, this post is linked in the first post so everyone is able to find it.

In general all the latest info can be found on the documentation page: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html

Ok, I didn’t explain what I ment, sorry: Isn’t it that the image used to use the standard Raspbian User/PW combo pi/raspberry before? So due to your reply I just discovered, that this changed to openhabian/openhabian (which is just unneccessary longer than just “pi” :-)).
What was the point to change that, if I may ask?

Cu
Frank