openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Related to OpenHAB2 + Razberry + Z-Wave Binding ?

Added users pi, tty ,root and openhab to the dialout group. Added -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyAMA0" to /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/karaf/bin/setenv Z-Wave serial still has the same error: Port dev/ttyAMA0 does not exist

Did you make sure the serial port is not active? If it is indeed still active this should be changed first. If method 1 didn’t change anything, try with method 2 or with the most direct way, method 3.

Yes it is disabled: “Serial console on /dev/ttyAMA0 is disabled” Can it be some kind of permission issue?

I went through the steps myself and while disabling the serial interface via raspi-config doesn’t change anything, method 2 (this script) got the job done and presented the message you quoted.

Please ask for further help in the other thread related to that problem.

What you probably wanted to do is add user “openhab” to group “tty”!?

sudo adduser openhab dialout
sudo adduser openhab tty

Edit: /dev/ttyAMA0 doesn’t exist anymore

That’s probably something you want to fix. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=155434 → first answer. This was tested by me to have the effect you want.

[15:25:36] pi@openHABianPi:~$ cat /boot/config.txt
[pi1]
kernel=vmlinuz-4.4.0-1-rpi
initramfs initrd.img-4.4.0-1-rpi followkernel
# to disable DeviceTree, uncomment the next line
#device_tree=
gpu_mem=16
enable_uart=1
[15:25:54] pi@openHABianPi:~$ cat /boot/cmdline.txt
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 elevator=deadline net.ifnames=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait
[15:26:03] pi@openHABianPi:~$ ls /dev/ttyAMA0
/dev/ttyAMA0
[15:26:11] pi@openHABianPi:~$ cat /proc/cmdline | grep AMA0
[15:26:14] pi@openHABianPi:~$

1 Like

Did edit config.txt and cmdline.txt. This is what i got now, but still comes up as /dev/ttyAMA0 does not exist

That’s as far as I can help. Now you indeed need to continue in the other thread
 Good luck

Great helpful tool!!!
Thanks a lot! It saved a lot of time for me.

However I do not see the folder /usr/share/openhab2/conf, but just /etc/openhab.
Usually there is a link from /usr/share/openhab to /etc.
Especially because the official website of OH2 mentions “configurations” was renamed to conf
I am confused.

And another point:
Where are the addons located?
They are not in /usr/share/openhab2/addons

Hey @NCO, great it worked out so far :wink:
All your questions are related to the different ways of setting up openHAB (2). It is favorable to set up using the official openHAB2 package repository. With this installation method, your files are a bit scattered on your filesystem, described here.
As you can see, your configuration is supposed to be under /etc/openhab2 and the addons folder can be found under /usr/share/openhab2/addons.

The mentioned paths and for example the link to /etc are actually not standard. openHABian follows the official installation instructions linked above.

I’m in the process of improving the documentation, could you show me where the mentioning of “configuration” was confusing?

Btw regarding bindings, you only need the addons folder if you have an addon you know is not part of the distribution. All existing ones can be found:

ll /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/karaf/system/org/eclipse/smarthome/binding
ll /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/karaf/system/org/openhab/binding

and so on.

Hi @ThomDietrich,

thanks for your extremely quick response. :slight_smile:
Your points above solved my confusion, which was actually not related to your openhabian, but the official website of OH2.
I was not aware that package repository folders are different to the manual installation.
Again, thanks. I might come back with other questions.
Anyway - a great help from your side switching over to OH2!!

1 Like

I’m very very tempted to give my Pi3 a refresh with this image. Thanks for all the effort with it.

This may or may not help with installing Go, but perhaps installing Docker first, and then Go/Influx/Grafana?

@ThomDietrich

I was not able to spend a lot of time on this over the weekend (the weather was simply to nice!) but here is what I have done so far:

1. Upgraded my system (RPI3) with a clean install using OpenHABian v0.9.
  • I tried to add the wpa_supplicant.conf file - with content matching my WiFi setup - but no success.
  • The green led was flashing steadily (on/off at ~1 Hz) and the RPI was never registered on my WiFi AP.
  • I then removed the file, and connected the Ethernet cable.
  • Some time later (after watching a movie) the system was installed and running.
  1. Downloaded the standalone ARM binaries for InfluxDB and fired it up. Seems to work OK (at least the system is reported as running, and the web interface is responsive).
  • I have not yet figured out where to put the various files - binaries and configuration - and how to make it start as a service.

hello tried your package and all went fine. problem im having is my zstick, which is normally on port ACM0 is not recognized as a valid port. Any ideas?

Have you checked that the stick really uses ACM0? Remove the stick, type

ls /dev/tty*

then plug it back in and run the command again. Compare both outputs and check which port it uses.

And have you allowed the user openhab to access the modem with:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout openhab

(after this you should do a full reboot).

easier: put the stick in and type dmesg. You should see the new device being detected and assigned.

The same command but easier to remember sudo adduser openhab dialout

So you didn’t need to install Go first? Now I feel like an idiot :smiley: I’ll have to look into it again

Okay, I’ll abandon that topic till it’s solved by the project above: Installation through wifi (RPi 3) · Issue #427 · debian-pi/raspbian-ua-netinst · GitHub

Nope. I just downloaded, unpacked and executed the “influxdb” binary.

No need for that - I think you have more than convinced us that you are far from it with the work you have done so far, :smile:

Thanks
 works great!

just an idea, is it possible to choose between the current "stable beta " and nightly build versions?

Or switch from nightly build back to beta4?