Openhabian : how to update kernel?

hi

for openhabian 1.3
which is the right way to update the kernel ?

Ale

Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

Kernel = Linux 4.9.35-v7+

Platform = Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

apt-get dist-upgrade

But as with any major update, make sure you have a backup of your old system ready.

ty mstormi

the command reports : 0 update needed

the kernel 4.9.35 was released on 2017-06-29
how to update on something more recent ?

4.9 would be about right for Jessie, which is an older version Debian (Raspbian). You would need to upgrade to Stretch to use a newer kernel, but this can be an unstable process.

Why are you looking to upgrade?

Right. Please answer Benjyā€™s question first. If you still think you are in need of a newer kernel, Iā€™d suggest to (re)install openHABian on another SD card, starting with the most current image. That one is stretch based which will give you a 4.14 kernel. Then migrate your OH config using openhab-cli backup/restore.

Hallo
Install rpi-update and run rpi-update, this will upgrade the kernel, firmware etc.

Better do not.
Best case nothing will happen but worst case this will install a kernel that the rest of your OS is incompatible with.

Hi Benjy
I think that if the software development has brought from the version .35 to the .134 through corrections, improvements, corrections of corrections, corrections of improvementsā€¦ in a continuous development cycle, this leads me to think that version 4.4.134 is generically ā€œbetterā€ than 4.4.35
Furthermore, later versions of the kernel reports ā€œbetter support of RPI3 hardwareā€ and general improvements on filesystem, scheduler and many other parts, this also leads me to think that a version 4.18 is generally ā€œbetterā€ than a 4.4

Where am I wrong?

1 Like

Bottom line is openHABian is no general purpose OS but built for use in a specific HW/application combination. You shouldnā€™t change any of the components unless there is a need to. Belief in ā€˜itā€™s betterā€™ is not a need.

You are correct, but itā€™d be up to you weigh the risks of upgrade with its benefits. Since openHABian is a raspbian variant, the way to do this would be the same as debian:

1. Update all software to their latest version.
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade
  1. Change all instances of jessie with stretch in /etc/apt/sources.list and the directory /etc/apt/sources list.d/

2. Upgrade the OS

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade

http://baddotrobot.com/blog/2017/10/26/upgrade-raspian-jessie-to-stretch/

1 Like

thank you both

I will evaluate a passage to stretch in the future, for now I stay with the current system

bye
Ale

If I may jump in with a related query here:

My Openhabian 2.3.0-1 running on a Raspi 2 with kernel 4.14.62-v7+ #1134 will not load a module for a USB CSR4.0 device.

On another machine btusb loads so a FS search shows that btusb is available at
/lib/modules/4.14.79-v7+/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/btusb.ko
/lib/modules/4.14.79+/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/btusb.ko

So should I install a later kernel to get a suitable module or must I go the compile route for a new module?

Hmm, 4.14.62 is pretty up to date (latest ā€˜longtermā€™ is 4.14.82) so must be something fairly experimental you want to use I guess. Honestly I donā€™t know what to advise. I wouldnā€™t risk breaking things so Iā€™d go compile. Or clone your system and try on another box first.

Thanks Markus. A reboot was required to get the bluetooth utils working and now btusb is registered and device is working. No compiling required.