Openhabian migration between openhabian version and in the same time from Rpi 2 to Rpi 4

Finally I bought Rpi 4 and during weekend I plan migrate my openhab installation to this new device.
Currently I have following situation:
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B rev 1.1.
Openhabian with Openhab 2.5.1-2, I do not know what version of openhab I have but it display during login : “Openhabian 7.05.170509”
I use many device e.g Xiaomi, Z-Wave, MCP MCP23017 and InfluxDB with Grafana.

I would like to migrate to:
Raspberry 4 with 4GB and Openhabian 1.6

My question is how to make it properly. I can install everything from zero, first openhabian and after add new devices but it will take a lot of time. Second scenario that I think about is to use backup/restore functionality but probably I should start with openhabian with openhab 2.5.1 (question which version of openhabian use 2.5.1 ?) and use backup/ restore and after upgrade to new openhabian.
What is best /recommend way to migrate?

Michał Szymański

Install from scratch (use the image) then backup openHAB config and restore to the new box.
If things go wrong you can revert to your old system.

Hi Markus,

let me jump in here and ask a specific question on migrating from OH2 on RP3 to OH3 on RP4 which I intend to do.

I read the section “On Openhab 3” carefully at your openhabian documentation.

Can you verify if this is the right way to go?

1. Take a config backup on the RP3 with OH2 (with openhab-cli tool )
  2. Install a fresh openhabian on the RP4
  3. Downgrade to OH2 on the RP4 (Menu option 42)
  4. Restore the config backup
    4a) check if OH2 is running ?
  5. Upgrade to OH3

Would this be your recommendation?

It should do. Probably you can just restore the OH2 backup into OH3 without downgrading.

If I recall correctly I already asked you not to ping people didn’t I ?

Thanks, Markus.

Yes, you did, which is why I intentionally did not PING you with the @-notation, but I just wanted to be polite by using your name in the answer :slight_smile: . I did not use the @ notation. Does that even ping you? Maybe you got notified because I replied to your comment?

Yes now I see. All good.

1 Like