Openhabian not boot anymore after upgrade to OH4

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi4 4GB with external USB SSD
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu JDK 17.07
    • openHAB version: 4.0
  • Issue of the topic: not booting after Upgrade to 4.0
    on Openhabian is also running MQTT Broker, Grafana, InfluxDB and Zigbee2MQTT

I upgrade OH to 4.0 and also upgrade to Java 17
After the Upgrade Openhab running normal few minutes than I reboot due putty, after this Openhabian will not boot anymore, also no connection in Network or via SSH possibel.

I boot via a other USB Stick and mounted the non-booting drive, so I have full access to all files.

The question for me is now can I got the drive back to booting or if I need new install openhabian how can I restore my data, I would also like to restore the InfluxDB and Grafana settings.
If possible even the Zigbee2MQTT configurations.

For the normal openhabian restore, overwriting all config files with my “backup” files will work?

Have you ever read the relevant docs such as this and this ?

I’ve been using openhab since version 1.5 and have quite some issues with SD-Cards, After I switched to USB sticks and later SSDs, I had no issue until now (and this has been a few years).

If this instant disqualifies me from asking a more general question about manual backup/restore and perhaps providing some information for other people that run into the same problems (that have not been related to the USB Drive), that’s okay than not.

Part of your question was if you can get your old drive to boot again.
You have to figure out yourself…

yes, this answer is fair, when you tell me this part of my question the community will not support.

If you tried to do an in place upgrade of the OS from buster to bullseye (as Java 17 isn’t available on bullseys), the general experience I’ve had and others is that it won’t work. It likely isn’t refusing to boot though. It seems that this upgrade path breaks dhcp or all of the networking.

For restoration, InfluxDB, Grafana, and Zigbee2MQTT you’ll have to see what those projects say to do. openHABian installs them but they are third party. We are not the experts on those.

Assuming they are the same versions (i.e. the backup OH version matches the version you are restoring to) it should work just fine. If not the same versions :person_shrugging: . It could work but it’s not guaranteed. There is now an upgrade tool but it doesn’t handle every breaking change nor does it do everything that apt does during an upgrade to adjust your configs for breaking changes.

1 Like

thank you, I will check the hint with the networking
on the network status leds I can see that there is no activity (both static on),

But you are right I only assume it’s not booting, the RPI runs headless and I have also no microHDMI adapter to check the output during boot.

Your hint was correct the upgrade (I don’t know what part) broke the network config.
in /etc/network/interfaces
all configs are missing
so I add

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

and I have access via web or ssh again.
the only thing thats not working seems the mqtt broker and the local app connection (it switches always to Remote) , I have look in to this too.

Edit: The MQTT issue was probably caused by the Router, after reboot all client requests are now forwarded to the correct client.

BTW it’s still on buster

Thanks again for the fast help :grinning:

2 Likes

sure ? Why / how is your installation broken then ?
I would assume that you will get other problems then earlier or later as openhabian for OH4 is expecting Bullseye which relies on other shared libraries.

at least the ssh connection tell me thats its buster,
how this got broken, sorry I don’
t know
grafik