Openhabian not showing up in network computers and devices

You should also remember what @Windrad mentioned: Use TAB completion. Nobody is typing full commands on the command line, you would go crazy :smiley: Almost everything can be tab-completed, meaning you type one part of a word and the console will suggest or insert valid candidates after two/one press of the TAB key.

Did you test the PR changes as described? Did everything work as expected?

I canā€™t seem to login the openHab-config or openHab-share. The login I used before isnā€™t working.

You tried openhabian:openhabian? Not sure why it didnā€™t work but there where a few users upgrading from older openHABian revisions having that problem. Just execute the following command to (re)set the password:

sudo smbpasswd -a openhabian

Not it should work!

Yeah tried openhabian:openhabian. Thatā€™s what I have been using. Reset the password but still didnā€™t work with new password.
Iā€™ll try upgrading again and see if that changes anything.

Donā€™t know if this matters but Iā€™m getting this on the logā€¦

The error in frontail is unrelated. Seems like youā€™ve got a not working exec rule defined you should look at at a later point.

After changing the samba password for openhabian, you might need to restart Samba. You could also restart the whole system (sudo reboot). Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Got it working after reboot. Thanks.

1 Like

What is the best way in your opinion to use the gpio pins on the pi with openhabian?
Iā€™ve struggled ever step of the way trying to get the GPIO binding to work. Iā€™ve even tried the Exec binding with wiringpi but I canā€™t get it work correctly. Iā€™m getting discouraged and wondering if I should find another software to use with my pi for my home automation project. One of the whole reasons I got the pi is to use gpio pins with relays to control everything.

Sorry to hear. Well you picked a tricky topic to start out with. However be ensured that other systems will have similar problems because talking to the GPIOs is tricky. Thatā€™s not the fault of openHAB but based on the fact, that you need elevated privileges to access gpio pins. Nevertheless, it should work if you follow the instructions you can find here and there. To make sure, you are using the openHABian raspbian image? If so the instructions as given in the readme should solve the issue, if you are using the openHABian ua-netinst image, you need to execute openHAB as root.

Please let me know which image you are on and what youā€™ve tried so far.

Another solution would be using http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio via the exec binding. Sadly I have no ready to go example for you. First try from the console, then try with root openHAB, then (ideally) try to remove the root requirement.

Iā€™m facing the same problem as @dasnake15. I installed the latest openhabian (Raspbian version) and followed all of the tipps of @ThomDietrich (update --> upgradeā€¦; (re)set password). But nothing worked out. The shares are shown in Windows (network) but access is always denied.
I have no idea what I can do and would be thankfu for help!

If you have done any modifications to openhabian, then try rebooting openhabian and your windows pc.

I can not confirm any problems with the samba share access. The shares should be accessible right away. Iā€™ve introduced some further improvements lately to make sure of that. Are you sure youā€™ve typed the correct username and password?

Thanks for trying to help. Iā€™m back on my openhabian Backup (Version 1.0 from december), where the shares work fine. I tried all newer versions (complete new installation), but always the was no access to the shares possible. I used username: openhabian and password: openhabian. And I tried others like openhab:habopen. Without success.
For the config-share there wasnā€™t any prompt at all appearing, where I could write the login data. Only the direct answer that access is denied.

I havenā€™t done any manual modifications on openhabian (only basic stuff via openhabian-config).

Hmm now this actually sounds like the problem could be your local system, caching the login credentialsā€¦

Hi Thom,

I just made a fresh install of openhabian 1.3, I followed the documentation, but I donā€™t get the samba share working. It always says no permission.bild1
What can I do?

@HolgerL did you solve the issue? I remember that this can happen when youā€™ve changed the username+password combination and Windows doesnā€™t offer to enter them anewā€¦

Hi Thom,

yes, more or less. I need to go via the \openhabian.local and I assigned drive tetters O: for the configs and L: for the logs.
So this has changed from the previous version. There I could go from the Openhabian Samba share as show above and open the subdirectories. This did not workā€¦ just checking againā€¦ now ist worksā€¦ hmm. Still some miracle :thinking:

i just had this issue to. change the name of the openhab server. i went frtom openhabianpi, and dropped the pi part.

Thank you dude

maybe I can help out somebody else with my encounter:
I had a problem where I couldnā€™t access the network sharesā€¦ extremely frustrating, considering it worked fine on my first try (but I had another go at it after a few weeks)
after numerous reinstallations of openhabian and a lot of tinkering in samba, heck, even after reinstalling windows, I still didnā€™t get it working again
in a desperate effort I switched my windows network profile from ā€œprivateā€ to ā€œpublicā€ and suddenly I could open the sharesā€¦ kinda counter-intuitive, eh?
I hope someone else might save some trouble by finding this comment