Openhabian will not boot

A few hours ago, I did a sudo shutdown with my raspberry 4 with openhab 3 on it. After unpluging and pluging it in again, it didn’t boot. I connected it with a monitor, but I get a blackscreen.
How can I bring it back to life.

Check the plugs and that the SD card is seated. If nothing makes a difference you can try a fresh SD card to see if that helps. If not it’s a hardware problem and we won’t be able to do much here.

I already tried to put the SD card into another Raspberry, which didn’t work. In addition, I have now cloned the SD card to a USB stick. Do you have any ideas how to change something.

It seems you’ve identified the culprit then. Your SD card is toast, or at least the file system on that card is toast. Cloning a broken SD card is just going to clone what’s broken. You should restore from a backup. I couldn’t guess why the card or files system is broken but as far as two RPis are concerned, it’s completely unbootable.

Ok, I will give it a try. I just don’t have a backup of my system. Is it possible to decrypt the data afterwards? Or somehow save something else? I know, no backup, no sympathy, but I just haven’t gotten around to making a backup yet.

Assuming that the card isn’t completely gone, you can plug it into another running machine that supports ext4 file systems and see if your files are there. If so you can copy off the /var/lib/openhab and /etc/openhab folders.

If not, you have to start over from scratch.

1 Like

I was able to save these folders, but what should I do with the folders now? copy them back in with a newly set up Openhab? and should I install the plugins beforehand, or only afterwards?

Yes, on a newly installed SD card stop OH and copy those folders over. When you restart OH you will have your old config back, including add-ons.

Everything is right. But maybee you flash some Default Image on the Pi and test trough the hardware.
I have designed my own ComputeModule-Carrier Board and During this Development burned 2 Standard Pi s and 1 Module with simple over-current on Netzwork or Display Ports.

I Know that is very seldom but allway test your hardware before restarting.

Btw. here are many topict pointing to “sd card crashed” Might there allready a SSD with a very very smal form factor to replace in long terms?
PS: I know ZRam (default active), nevertheless

Thanks for your help.
I have now copied var/lib/openhab back to the systhem and I get this error in the log.

2022-01-16 12:53:53.130 [SEVERE] [org.apache.karaf.main.Main] - Could not launch framework
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not resolve mvn:org.eclipse.platform/org.eclipse.osgi/3.12.100
at org.apache.karaf.main.util.SimpleMavenResolver.resolve(SimpleMavenResolver.java:59)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.createClassLoader(Main.java:517)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.launch(Main.java:287)
at org.apache.karaf.main.Main.launch(Main.java:183)

i also left the odner var/lib/openhab/cache and var/lib/openhab as they are.
it also didn’t help to clear the cache and restart. which folders do i really need?

I have already replaced the pi with a 2nd pi which definitely works. So my hardware works but thanks for the idea.

If you say the hardware works it might be that monitor (HDMI) output is disabled.
Mount the boot partition on your PC and edit config.txt (g**gle yourself for the details please).

Either way, your fastest way out will be to reinstall from scratch and import your old config.

Did you installed a fresh openhabian?
Did you boot that without any changes? (successfully?)
Did you made a backup from that fresh installation?

Only then such tries make sense…

Thanks for your help, I have now got it to boot and start again by reinstalling it and copying the folders.

Greetings Vincent

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.