Openweathermap new "One Call" API

But I have another question @Wolfgang1966 :slight_smile:

Considering the weather warnings, and type/level (that now are both included in the “event” item) is there any other option than use a transformation for having split event and level of warning?

thanks
Andrea

Hi @ariela ,

I’m afraid that trying to semantically interpret the “event” wording is more that error prone. The weather alerts come from multiple sources ( One Call API: weather data for any geographical coordinate - OpenWeatherMap ). Depending on the source wording might be different, so I think a transformation based on the specific alerts you receive is the best way to handle them. The alerts API Global Weather Alerts - OpenWeatherMap provides a more detailed response with the attributes you need but unfortunately is not available for free and not (yet?) supported by the binding.

2 Likes

Playing with some features in the sitemap, I’ve perhaps found a good compromise :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

my items:

String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Event         "[%s]"                                      (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#event" }
String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Description   "[%s]"                                      (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#description" }
DateTime OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Onset       "[%1$td/%1$tm - %1$tH:%1$tM]"               (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#onset" }
DateTime OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Expires     "[%1$td/%1$tm - %1$tH:%1$tM]"               (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#expires" }
String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Source        "[%s]"                                      (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#source" }
String Converted_OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Duration "[%s]"                                 (gWeather)

the item “Converted_OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Duration” is just the result of a concat rule (onset + expires).

my sitemap:

Text item=Converted_OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Duration label="Moderate" icon="meteoalarm_thunder2" visibility=[OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Event=="Yellow Thunderstorm Warning"]
    Text item=Converted_OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Duration label="Severe" icon="meteoalarm_thunder3" visibility=[OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Event=="Orange Thunderstorm Warning"]
    Text item=Converted_OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Duration label="Extreme" icon="meteoalarm_thunder4" visibility=[OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Event=="Red Thunderstorm Warning"]

in this way you have enough flexibility how the “event” wording is done from the specific source of your Country.

The result is not that bad :slight_smile:

edit: I’m using a orange/red/purple scheme for my icons, as the yellow is not visible enough

I’m sorry, but it seems the issue stands.

Not sure what I’m missing but I have always a UNDEF value for each item. But if I try to check via a normal http request (like: https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/onecall?lat=45.465051&lon=9.094615&&appid=xxxxxxxxxx) I can see now data in eg. alerts.0.event (Yellow Thunderstorm Warning).

Here my items:

String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Event         "[%s]"                                      (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#event" }
String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Description   "[%s]"                                      (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#description" }
DateTime OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Onset       "[%1$td/%1$tm - %1$tH:%1$tM]"               (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#onset" }
DateTime OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Expires     "[%1$td/%1$tm - %1$tH:%1$tM]"               (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts1#expires" }
String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts1_Source        "[%s]" 

here my things file:

Bridge openweathermap:weather-api:api "OpenWeatherMap Account" @ "Accounts" [apikey="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", refreshInterval=10, language="en"] {
    Thing onecall local "Weather And Forecast - Local" @ "Outdoor" [location="45.465051,9.094615", forecastHours=24, forecastDays=6, numberOfAlerts=5]
}

What I’m missing? :frowning:
Andrea

Now I see the first warning correctly, and matching what I can see with a HTTP request (yellow thunderstorm warning).

But, with the HTTP request I can see also the second warning … that is not visible via binding (yellow rain warning).

of course the second group of items is identical

String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts2_Event         "[%s]"                                      (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts2#event" }
String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts2_Description   "[%s]"                                      (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts2#description" }
DateTime OpenWeatherMap_Alerts2_Onset       "[%1$td/%1$tm - %1$tH:%1$tM]"               (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts2#onset" }
DateTime OpenWeatherMap_Alerts2_Expires     "[%1$td/%1$tm - %1$tH:%1$tM]"               (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts2#expires" }
String OpenWeatherMap_Alerts2_Source        "[%s]"                                      (gWeather)                                 { channel="openweathermap:onecall:api:local:alerts2#source" }
String Converted_OpenWeatherMap_Alerts2_Duration "[%s]"                                 (gWeather)

@ariela
I had a quick look at the code and probably found the issue.
In the following if statement it should be alerts.size() >= count instead. Otherwise, I think, the last alert in the API response is always ignored (or not updated, respectively).

@Wolfgang1966 what do you think?

2 Likes

I submitted a PR that should fix the issue

EDIT: seems it was just quick enough to make it into OH 3.3 M5 :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you guy :slight_smile: appreciated

Andrea

@boehan unfortunately it seems not fixed yet on 3.3.M5. Now there is a warning in openweathermap, but this is not reflected in the binding :frowning:

Andrea

Hmm… I will check in the evening, but I’m actually not sure if the fix really made it into the M5 release. Even though it is listed in the release notes, I can’t find it in the build summary. @Kai could you please confirm if the release notes for M5 are correct and #12697 made it into the release?

@ariela you could try to install the fixed binding manually → JAR file: JFrog

I’ll do and back to you as soon as I’ll see other warnings here

I can confirm that the release notes are NOT correct as I have just checked the listed changes on our Jenkins at openhab-milestone 3.3.0.M5 (#51) Changes [Jenkins] and this PR does not turn up there. It must have been merged slightly after the add-ons build started and just before I compiled the release notes. :frowning:
I have now corrected the release notes and have to ask for your patience as the fix will then only be in M6.

1 Like

Thanks for confirmation, at least we know now why binding behavior is unchanged :wink:
Actually, I wouldn’t have expected it to make it into release when I made the PR if it wasn’t merged so surprisingly fast and listed in the release notes…

1 Like

@Kai @boehan thanks for your support here :slight_smile: really appreciated

Andrea

I’m happy to say, 3.3.0 M6 fixed the issue, and now it works like a charm :slight_smile:
thanks Hans for your support here :slight_smile:

Andrea