OpenWeatherMap PaperUI minimum and maximum temperatures

Hey there,

I was searching for an item that provides the maximum temperature for today. I had the same Problem that there was just a temp min/max for the tomorrow forecast and the days after.

I wanted to limit the automatic rollershutter-rule for the sun-protection (only working when forecasted max temp for today >23).

I use the weather binding (1.14.0) and today I found an item for the max temperatur of today (same for min temp).

Number     Temp_Max_Today     "Max [%s °C]"     {weather="locationId=*whats_in_your_weather.cfg*, forecast=0, type=temperature, property=max"}

I hope this will help someone!

EDIT:
Thanks to rossko57 - I forgot the weather service I am using.
It’s forecast.io (Darksky). They are no longer accepting new signups. So it’s just interesting if you already have an account there - sorry.

That’s not a great deal of help without disclosing which weather service you use with binding weather1

hello @rossko57

unfortunately this is not a solution for me
the temp_max and temp_min channels are available for the (free API) hourly weather forecasts but are missing for the (free API) current weather

I’m not speaking about the (paid API) todays or daily forecast - this is a complete other topic in my case

btw: sunrise and sunset would be there too

Okay.
No sure what you think I can do about that?

maybe you could plz help me to forward it to whom it may belong :wink:
it’s the experience (in programming and this forum) I’m missing here :upside_down_face:

I repeat that the temp_max and temp_min data is probably not what you think.

For current weather, there is no max and min in the usual sense. It is what it is, the temperature as measured now. There is no range to that, unlike when a period is involved like a day.

OpenWeatherMap can - but does not always - return data like temp_max and temp_min where the location for the current weather is an area like a city. Perhaps it’ll be warmer in the east of the city than the west, etc.
https://openweathermap.org/current

I suspect the vast majority of the time you simply will not get this data at all from OWM, when using openHAB with lat/long coordinates. What are you planning to do with it?
Try it out with a direct request in your browser.

If you want to request a binding enhancement to add channels to support, you should create an issue in github

thank you for the detailed response

It’s exactly what I thought it is and it’s always provided in the current weather API

actually the binding has hourly forecast channels for temp_min and temp_max - I see no reason why they are missing for the current weather

It’d probably help your github case if you can come up with a use case for this data. You’re asking somebody to invest effort for you.

I’d better go with the sunrise and sunset channels
the temp_min and temp_max are more as a feature completion to the already existing hourly equivalent

about the effort - sooner or later we go with the One Call API