OpenWrt integration in openHAB2

Hi all,

I made my first steps now in openHAB2 and I’m excited about how easy it works, etc.

Now I’d like to integrate more and more into it and so I’m looking for hardware I still can use (I do not yet have heater, light or shutter automation, yet because I’m still looking for the right standard for me).

I have a OpenWrt running router at home and perhaps there’s a possibility to also include it. For example ensuring internet is working, monitoring the internet speed, which devices are connected,… Just a small dashboard.

What a pitty I couldn’t find anything related to that except people installing openHAB2 on a OpenWrt router or someone who monitors his phone connection to the router. Did I overlook something?

Thanks and kind regards!

Probably not.

Does openWrt provide a HTTP or REST API?

Thanks for your response. Good hint! Yes, there seems to be one:

Officially written by the luci (the OpenWrt Ui) developers. Then I can probably enter the data with the jsonpath addon I’m already having in use.

In addition to HTTP, if OpenWRT supports SNMP you can use the SNMP binding to get some information about the box as well.

Have a look

1 Like

Have you been able to add your OpenWrt statistic and information using jsonpath addon in Openhab? If so, would you like to share your configuration.

Kind regards,
puydt

@Mean I am actually thinking of using openhab2 on openwrt routers and leverage the features of both. Unfortunately I am unable to find something related except the fact that it can be done. Could you please guide me where exactly did you find something like this.

The above talks about getting information from OpenWRT into openHAB, not running openHAB on OpenWRT. You would need to have a router with at least a Gig of RAM and you will need to be able to install Java 8, preferably Zulu. Then you could just follow the manual instructions to install OH to a folder like /opt/.

But also keep in mind that some parts and configurations of OH will be very heavy writers to disk which might not work very well on many routers.