Paper UI- Hide the delete icon for items/things for objects created from a text file

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPi 3 B+ (March 2018)
    • openHAB version: openHAB 2.3.0~20180404031746-1 (Build #1248)

Low priority wishlist improvement: Paper UI- Hide the delete icon for items/things for objects created from a text file.

In my system, some items are created via the Paper UI, other items are created via a .items text file. In Paper UI, deleting jsonDB items (objects created directly from inside Paper UI) works perfectly! I can delete those items without an error. However, deleting items that exist because they were created from a .items text file results in errors (Items = 404 Not Found. Things = 409 Conflict).

As a beginner, I had assumed that if I delete an item in Paper UI, for an object in my .items file, it would delete that line from the text file. It does not. The icon is a just a tease. It just generates an error instead.

Recommendation: Can we please revise the code to only show the delete icon for jsonDB objects (objects created from Paper UI)? If the code does not support the ability to delete *.item text file objects, then let’s hide the delete icon in that situation.

1 Like

Please file an issue over at https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome. That is where this would have to be implemented.

Personally, I’d rather the edit/delete icon not appear at all or there be some other marking or indicator to show that it is an Item that PaperUI cannot manage than have the Item or Thing not appear at all.

But, as a general Rule, if you did it through a config file PaperUI cannot change it.