PaperUI vs items & sitemaps?

• Test environment information:
    • Hardware: Intel® Atom D525 dual core, 4gb
    • Java Runtime Environment: Java 8u152 (32 bit)
    • openHAB version: 2.2.0

First time setting up the system, new to the concepts and following the installation steps and then move into the beginner tutorials. Everything goes great.

However, I’m a bit confused as to why we need to create item files for the sitemap when the items are already added via the PaperUI and are in the internal json database. Following the tutorials I added an item file for one of my things, and now it’s listed twice in the PaperUI (presumably because the system is reading it once from the .items file and once from the internal database?) locations. Well, actually, it’s listed once, but with double channel results. such as:

THING
CHANNEL1_RESULTS:YES
CHANNEL2_RESULTS:YES
CHANNEL1_RESULTS:YES
CHANNEL2_RESULTS:YES

So, I’m guessing that we need to determine for ourselves which method (paperUI things additions or .items file setup) works better for our own needs? It seems to be that mixing the two could lead to confusing results, yes?

You don’t need to create more items using files to use them in your sitemap. You can use the auto-created items that were added from the PaperUI (copy the item name from the Thing Channel links and use it in your sitemap files).
Of course, you can mix auto and manual created Items in your OH2 system and reference them in your next steps (sitemaps, rules, etc).

I prefer to use just item and sitemap files.
I also startet with paperui, but that lead to problems for example with amazon echo.
I would recomend to just use the files and Habmin.

Oops! I didn’t know I can refer to PaperUI generated items…

you can… but some people (including me) don’t like the auto generated Item names (they are too long), so we use manually defined Item names using *.items files :slight_smile:

Thank you, everyone who replied. Your responses have helped me with a better grasp on some of these fundamentals as I move forward! I appreciate your time!