Permissions error in Openhabian-Config menu item 14

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 2GB RAM with 16 GB SD card
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu11.45+27-CA (build 11.0.10+9-LTS)
    • openHAB version: 3

still very much a beginner… trying to read as much as possible and follow advice elsewhere before posting for help.

My error looks a lot like the one described at

But, in my case, the relevant directory wasn’t empty.

Posting what I think is the relevant part of the terminal output. It may be completely irrelevant but the output also seems to be telling me that I’m using a default password but I’ve changed all 4 of them (and checked each one apart from Amanda which I haven’t set up yet).

$ fix_permissions /opt/zram/log.bind/openhab openhab:openhabian 664 775 
+ fix_permissions /opt/zram/log.bind/openhab openhab:openhabian 664 775
+ [[ -e /opt/zram/log.bind/openhab ]]
+ chown openhab:openhabian /opt/zram/log.bind/openhab
+ [[ -n 664 ]]
+ [[ -f /opt/zram/log.bind/openhab ]]
+ [[ -n 775 ]]
+ [[ -d /opt/zram/log.bind/openhab ]]
+ find /opt/zram/log.bind/openhab -type d -print0
+ xargs -0 chmod 775
+ return 0
+ echo 'FAILED (openhab log on zram)'
FAILED (openhab log on zram)
+ retval=1
+ [[ -d /etc/homegear ]]
+ return 1
+ '[' 1 -ne 0 ']'
+ whiptail --msgbox 'There was an error or interruption during the execution of:\n  "10 | Apply Improvements"\n\nPlease try again. If the error persists, please read /opt/openhabian/docs/openhabian-DEBUG.md or https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/blob/main/docs/openhabian-DEBUG.md how to proceed.' 14 80
+ return 0
+ true
+ show_main_menu
+ local choice
+ local version
+++ get_git_revision
+++ local branch
+++ local latestTag
+++ local revCount
+++ local shorthash
++++ git -C /opt/openhabian rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD
+++ branch=openHAB3
++++ git -C /opt/openhabian describe --tags --abbrev=0
+++ latestTag=patchday-20210316
++++ git -C /opt/openhabian log --oneline
++++ wc -l
+++ revCount=1251
++++ git -C /opt/openhabian log --pretty=format:%h -n 1
+++ shorthash=9334918
+++ echo '[openHAB3]patchday-20210316-1251(9334918)'
++ whiptail --title 'Welcome to the openHABian Configuration Tool [openHAB3]patchday-20210316-1251(9334918)' --menu 'Setup Options' 18 116 11 --cancel-button Exit --ok-button Execute '00 | About openHABian' 'Information about the openHABian project and this tool' '' '' '01 | Select Branch' 'Select the openHABian config tool version ("branch") to run' '02 | Upgrade System' 'Upgrade all installed software packages (incl. openHAB) to their latest version' '03 | Install openHAB' 'Install or upgrade to openHAB release 3' '' '' '10 | Apply Improvements' 'Apply the latest improvements to the basic openHABian setup ►' '20 | Optional Components' 'Choose from a set of optional software components ►' '30 | System Settings' 'A range of system and hardware related configuration steps ►' '40 | openHAB Related' 'Switch the installed openHAB version or apply tweaks ►' '50 | Backup/Restore' 'Manage backups and restore your system ►'
+ choice=
+ RET=1
+ '[' 1 -eq 1 ']'
+ return 255
+ system_check_default_password
+ is_pi
+ is_pifour
+ [[ '' == \p\i\4 ]]
+ grep -q '^Revision\s*:\s*[ 123][0-9a-fA-F][0-9a-fA-F][0-9a-fA-F]11[0-9a-fA-F]$' /proc/cpuinfo
+ return 0
+ return 0
+ local algo
+ local defaultPassword
+ local defaultUser
+ local generatedPassword
+ local introText
+ local originalPassword
+ local salt
+ is_pi
+ is_pifour
+ [[ '' == \p\i\4 ]]
+ grep -q '^Revision\s*:\s*[ 123][0-9a-fA-F][0-9a-fA-F][0-9a-fA-F]11[0-9a-fA-F]$' /proc/cpuinfo
+ return 0
+ return 0
+ id -u pi
+ is_pi
+ is_pifour
+ [[ '' == \p\i\4 ]]
+ return 0
+ return 0
+ defaultUser=openhabian
+ defaultPassword=openhabian
++ grep -w openhabian /etc/shadow
++ cut -d: -f2
+ originalPassword='$6$EcUQdmL2e18B5nhi$UZYhLhUyjrrrBdZBHEl1SCU6EHNFnA59SdRb8BO8ssNeTqJLxgNjSdKTulBMlruq8N2rB95VgJVMC3uCEG/XW1'
++ echo '$6$EcUQdmL2e18B5nhi$UZYhLhUyjrrrBdZBHEl1SCU6EHNFnA59SdRb8BO8ssNeTqJLxgNjSdKTulBMlruq8N2rB95VgJVMC3uCEG/XW1'
++ cut '-d$' -f2
+ algo=6
+ introText='The default password was detected on your system! That is a serious security concern. Bad guys or malicious programs in your subnet are able to gain root access!\n\nPlease set a strong password by typing the command '\''passwd openhabian'\''!'
++ echo '$6$EcUQdmL2e18B5nhi$UZYhLhUyjrrrBdZBHEl1SCU6EHNFnA59SdRb8BO8ssNeTqJLxgNjSdKTulBMlruq8N2rB95VgJVMC3uCEG/XW1'
++ cut '-d$' -f3
+ salt=EcUQdmL2e18B5nhi
+ export algo defaultPassword salt
++ perl -le 'print crypt("$ENV{defaultPassword}","\$$ENV{algo}\$$ENV{salt}\$")'
+ generatedPassword='$6$EcUQdmL2e18B5nhi$46CzD8KTV67ui5bAxK4xdakzLZfRPVFZhO3Z45UqI7lIUeYNQrGZM/SeDVkCG.cFRnb1weQvjAg5Y/nh0Adz2/'
++ timestamp
++ date +%F_%T_%Z
+ echo -n '2021-04-11_21:31:34_AEST [openHABian] Checking for default openHABian username:password combination... '
2021-04-11_21:31:34_AEST [openHABian] Checking for default openHABian username:password combination... ++ id -u openhabian
+ [[ -n 1000 ]]
+ [[ $6$EcUQdmL2e18B5nhi$46CzD8KTV67ui5bAxK4xdakzLZfRPVFZhO3Z45UqI7lIUeYNQrGZM/SeDVkCG.cFRnb1weQvjAg5Y/nh0Adz2/ == \$\6\$\E\c\U\Q\d\m\L\2\e\1\8\B\5\n\h\i\$\U\Z\Y\h\L\h\U\y\j\r\r\r\B\d\Z\B\H\E\l\1\S\C\U\6\E\H\N\F\n\A\5\9\S\d\R\b\8\B\O\8\s\s\N\e\T\q\J\L\x\g\N\j\S\d\K\T\u\l\B\M\l\r\u\q\8\N\2\r\B\9\5\V\g\J\V\M\C\3\u\C\E\G\/\X\W\1 ]]
+ echo OK
OK
++ timestamp
++ date +%F_%T_%Z
+ echo -e '2021-04-11_21:31:34_AEST [openHABian] We hope you got what you came for! See you again soon ;)'
2021-04-11_21:31:34_AEST [openHABian] We hope you got what you came for! See you again soon ;)
+ cd /home/openhabian
openhabian@openhabian:~ $ sudo openhabian-config

that should not happen with the current code.
Did you let openhabian upgrade itself on start ?
Switch to use the main branch if you don’t do yet and try again.
Show some more lines of the debug log before those you showed here.

Thanks for the great support… hope to be able to help out in some way in future… but have a lot of learning to do before then!

Switching to main branch has solved the fixing permissions error. I think I did let openhabian upgrade itself… but the truth is that I wasn’t sure what I was doing. I did see the option to use the main branch… but avoided it, being a beginner, when I saw the advice that it was less stable than openHAB3.

I’m still seeing the lines about using default password in the console… but I’m now guessing that this isn’t a warning… just a product of debug mode being at maximum setting.

Thanks again!

1 Like