Persistence - Where to start?

Hi Guys,

first time poster, long time reader/stalker!

Searching the “beginners” section for how to set up persistence or even which one I should even choose has left me stumped, there are no beginners in the beginners section!!!

I am an actual beginner and I need the communities help/suggestions on which persistence service I should choose and then also what it actually does if I want the following;

• Certain Philips Hue and Wemo Lights to turn on/off after motion activity/inactivity from Aeotec MultiSensor 6
  • Log Power usage from Aeotec Smart Switches and display day/week/month on HabPanel (I think i have the display side sorted)

I have been using PaperUI on RaspberryPi 3 OpenHabian (latest Version 2.3? i think), I use Windows and FileZilla for most other stuff on OH so your linux ‘sudo command wink nudge’ gibberish means nothing to me :smiley:

I wish to run everything on the Pi if possible, though i do have a Windows PC (mostly on) and QNAP NAS (always on)

So final question… Where do I start?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Pi3
    • openHAB version: 2.3

What do you want?

• only restore on startup, then use mapdb
  • collect number-data for charts, then use rrd4j

Thanks Harry,

The Smarthomeblog page got close with what I want.

I just want to be able to turn lights on and off with motion or lack thereof and then to be able to chart, or display in a dummy panel, energy usage values over a period of time.

Restore on start up isn’t too much of an issue for me, I am more than happy to tap the icon on HABPanel a couple of times to update a light or wait for a temperature sensor to auto update.

The other links you’ve sent are the problem, I’m a beginner, I just don’t understand the terminology… hence the post asking for help :slight_smile:

Have you installed the Demo?
Where are many examples in a running environment.

Hi guys, apologies for the delayed response.

Thank you for your help, I have started using the influxdb and grafana for the energy monitoring per the smarthomeblog post provided by Harry and Elias.

I haven’t installed the demo, the link provide for download fails?

I will try to use the same persistence service for motion detection and light control and see how I go.

Thanks again for your help!