Philips Hue CLIP 2 API v2 Discussion Thread

That is because the v1 API doesn’t have a specific API command set to monitor the Zigbee status in real time. One of the new features of the v2 API is that it adds the ability to dynamically monitor the Zigbee status. So ironically you are being hit by this new feature. I don’t know what to say…

PS I do not see CONNECTIVITY_ISSUES on my Hue system – except when I force an error by physically removing the lamp from the socket.

Thankyou for catching this one! It was actually a Json parsing error related to a scene, where I think Philips / Signify is guilty of an API inconsistency. Anyway, I have fixed it, and the new Jar is at the same location HERE

1 Like

Hi Andrew

I have installed your latest build.

While testing “Scenes” I see that they do not seem to be working?

I have a “Lounge Room”, but there is no scene channel offered? I also see that there are other channels that do not show up? Last Updated etc. Is this because it is a Room/Group?

Also, in the Lounge Room, the color channel item doe snot show the color selector:

But the selector is available on an individual lamp:

Cheers
Mark

Can you please check your Bridge thing to see if it has a Scene channel?

Ok. I will look into that.

Yes, you are right. My logic was that it could be important to know when a physical device sent its last signal (e.g. to see when say its battery went flat). But I did not think it important to know when a logical group was last updated. But can you please let me know what would be your use case for having a last updated channel on logical groups?

Yes, the Bridge THING has a Scenes Channel. The individual Lamps also do NOT have the scenes channel. I would generally (and have always) assigned a scene to each room, not to all the lights etc.

Great

No real use case :-). I just noticed that the Room/Group was different from the individual Lamp. Your logic makes perfect sense. Just in my case I generally only use the Room/Group. Tried using individual lamps for alarm states etc. But the response was never great. Plan to relook at that when all working on the V2 API

@Mark_VG it turns out that Philips/Signify don’t actually support color, or color-temperature states or actions on light groups (rooms/zones/all). For groups the only actual channels are the switch and brightness channels. You can actually see this in the Hue App. So it is in fact ‘correct’ that groups would display the state of such channels as ‘null’. And therefore I think I shall to remove the color and color temperature channels from groups in OH as well.

Just for info: it looks like the brightness of a group is the arithmetic average over the lights within it; and the switch state of a group is the logical OR over the lights within it. And I guess the complexity of ‘averaging’ the color or color temperature over several lights might explain why Philips / Signify does not do this. Although in the App if lights in the group do have different colors, the App displays a kind of amalgam of the two…

As you mentioned earlier, the only way to set a color or color temperature for a group, is to activate a scene on that group. However the scene does not set a color or color temperature on the group; it actually sets color or color temperature for the individual lights only.

1 Like

Yes, the speed is much faster.

1 Like

Just for info: I am working on getting the scenes to function. I will get back tomorrow.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t make it. I discovered that I made a basic error in resource nesting for rooms and zones. Perhaps tomorrow…,

EDIT: I made a whole bunch of improvements, (see link below) but I didn’t rally test it properly yet. So please hang on a bit more…

1 Like

Thank you for the hard work. I am happy to test when you ready to share. Just let me know.
I presume i will havevto delete things and re-add?

Ok. The new jar is ready on the same LINK as before.

Yes. Unfortunately you must delete all your hue:groupedLight things – and please do so BEFORE you install the new jar; otherwise the OH UI doesn’t know the groupedLight thing type so it even lacks the functionality to delete them. (Otherwise you wil have to manually edit your things json file, which is not fun). Then you install the new jar and add the corresponding hue:room \ hue:zone things instead.

1 Like

hi
Thanks, I have installed and re-added my Rooms, I see the new hue: room...

There are still just the Brightness and Switch Channels - so no scene (color etc removed?)?

Trace Log in case you need it?
hue.log (102.1 KB)

Please let me know if you would like me to do anything else? The basic functionality does work.

Cheers
Mark

Some background: in the Hue bridge, the ‘room’ and ‘zone’ entities have the following functionality…

• They support two direct light commands only (i.e. on/off and dimmer).
  • They do not directly support Color or Color Temperature setting commands.
  • If you want to (indirectly) apply Color or Color Temperature commands then you need to create one or more Scenes to do so.

Therefore your OH ‘room’ and ‘zone’ things should show the following channels…

1. Always: Switch and Brightness
  2. Never: Color or Color Temperature
  3. Case by case: one or more Scene channels depending on what is configured in the App.

The example below is a zone with four scenes…

Thanks for the clarity.

That is pretty different from the V1 Things. Each Room/Group had a single Scene Channel that you sent the scene required in order to activate. This could be populated by a dropdown to select the scene you wanted. This was read from the list of possibilities on the Hue Hub.

The new model (if I understand correctly) will have multiple (varying) channels and items to activate a scene? Could complicate the creation/use of a widget quiet a lot I think?

I do have Scenes activated and in use in my Lounge Room, see screen shot from app below (I use the “Lounge Default” extensively. There are also the “packaged” scenes in the app.:

However they have not been detected by the binding?

I am also not sure how the Binding will detect new scenes? Will you not have to delete the THING and re-add to detect the new scene channels? Scenes can be added at any time by the user, so this could prove to be problematic?

Maybe I am not understanding correctly? Especially regarding how to assign a scene to a room? Hope you don’t mind me asking?

It may be a timing issue. Can you please try to disable your ‘Lounge’ thing, and then enable it again? I am hoping the scenes will appear again.

EDIT

I suppose I could do it that way too. There are pro’s and con’s of the drop down approach…

Pro…

• There is only one channel, so less clutter in the UI

Con…

• If the room or zone has no scenes, the drop down is empty
  • It is more complex for a rule to activate a specific scene dropdown

But please let me know which you prefer?

I had also just tried deleting and re-adding as that is normally required to detect new channels - that did not help.

Also tried disabling and enabling - no change.

Could you perhaps also try leaving the Lounge thing enabled throughout, but disable/enable the Bridge thing?

Sadly, no difference:

hue.log (593.1 KB)

Thanks for looking into this.

From your log, it looks like a timing issue. It seems that the bridge is sending the scene data to the room and zone things BEFORE those things have been initialized to be aware that the should look out for scene data. Or something like that. Weirdly it work for me just fine on my Raspberry Pi4 and on Windows, so it may take some trawling though your logs to fully figure it out…

Thank you. Just fyi i am also running on a windows machine.
Let me know if you need me to try anything else.

Just ror my information for now? What links to the scene channels? A switch? What happens if you turn on two?