Pi boots, OpenHab offline. Karaf?

Pi is running fine, everything appears normal, but OpenHab remains offline.
Tried rebooting Pi, as well as stopping and starting OpenHab. Looking at status, it appears something may be wrong with Karaf? Whatever that is…

Hello,
I’m afraid more info is needed. Could you log in via SSH (for your own convenience really) and get the content from /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log from after you executed a restart of the openhab service and post it here?

sudo systemctl restart openhab2.service
tail -f /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log

Also on a side note: the command you typed seems a bit odd. The “sh” is not needed and the rest is an outdated way of working with services. What you wanted to type is sudo systemctl status openhab2.service

Judging from the timestamps, it looks like the log hasn’t even recorded anything since we had short power outage this morning. Probably when OpenHab when down.

[20:18:45] pi@openHABianPi:~$ sudo sh /etc/init.d/openhab2 restart
[sudo] password for pi:
[ ok ] Restarting openhab2 (via systemctl): openhab2.service.
[20:18:59] pi@openHABianPi:~$ clear
[20:19:21] pi@openHABianPi:~$ sudo systemctl restart openhab2.service
[20:19:32] pi@openHABianPi:~$ tail -f /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log
2016-10-23 09:37:17.140 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Got an error while sending data. Resending message.
2016-10-23 09:37:17.273 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Got an error while sending data. Resending message.
2016-10-23 09:37:17.447 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Got an error while sending data. Resending message.
2016-10-23 09:37:17.603 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Got an error while sending data. Resending message.
2016-10-23 09:53:10.076 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 3: Node is DEAD. Dropping message.
2016-10-23 10:07:12.088 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Got an error while sending data. Resending message.
2016-10-23 10:07:12.237 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Got an error while sending data. Resending message.
2016-10-23 10:07:12.375 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Got an error while sending data. Resending message.
2016-10-23 10:07:12.390 [WARN ] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Already processed another send data request for this callback Id, ignoring.
2016-10-23 10:23:10.112 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 3: Node is DEAD. Dropping message.

If a RPi is not shut down properly (like during a power outage) the sd card very often gets corrupted.
So if you experience more problems with your operating system consider taking a new sd card and restore the system from your backup (which you hopefully have somewhere).
Good luck.

Unfortunately I don’t have a full backup. Although I do have backups of the openHAB-conf and openHAB-userdata folders. So hopefully that’ll be enough. Tried to reinstall openhabian on a smaller sd overnight, but something went wrong as an error message pops too fast to read when I attempt to log in. Redoing now, but won’t know until after work.

Easiest way: User guide

Well, almost back in action. Nest is working, zwave is not.
trying both /dev/ttyAMA0 and /dev/ttyUSB0, both says the port does not exist. 95% sure one of the two was what I used last time…

you probably meant /dev/ttyACM0 if it is a gen5 USB stick from Aeon. You can tell by typing this in at a shell prompt:

ls -l /dev/tty???

There will be more than one if you have multiple serial devices, but this should get you there.

Aeotec z-stick S2
I’ve got ttyUSB0 and ttyACA0 under /dev. As well as tty-tty63, and ttyprintk. And a whole bunch of non tty stuff. No ttyACM0 though

S2 will be the /dev/ttyUSB0 device

within paperui -> configuration ->items I get "Serial Error: Port /dev/ttyUSB0 does not exist"
Really doesn’t make sense, cause ls /dev clearly shows it. Am I missing a setting in PaperUI somewhere? Or a permissions issue or something?

likely permissions then. ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0 to check the owner and group. You need to make sure the user running openhab is a member of that group and/or permissions on the device are such that the openHAB user can use it.

There we go. Had to add openhab user to the tty and dialout groups. Thanks!

One of the long outstanding changes to add to openHABian :sweat_smile: Soon, promised ^^