Pingable device ONLINE but still off?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Rpi4 2GB
    • Java Runtime Environment: most updated
    • openHAB version: 3.3.0
  • Issue of the topic: since a few days, the channel ONLINE of a pingable device does not go ON, although in the logfile I can see the device is seen online

2022-10-07 20:40:29.786 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'mpd:mpd:02ca66e2e7_MoodeAudio' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Connection refused (Connection refused) to ONLINE

But

Here the configuration

What am I missing? The very same configuration has worked for around 2 years and I do not recall to have done any update to the OH server in the last weeks.

Perhaps a router update I am not aware of?

Thanks
Max

The status ONLINE for a Thing means that the Thing and binding are operating correctly. It does not have anything to do with whether the “Moode Audio Device” is powered on and connected to the network (i.e. pingable).

Either the device really isn’t on the network, has changed IP address, or something else network wise has gone wrong to make it so that openHAB cannot ping that device. Because OH can’t ping the device, the Item is set to OFF. But because the binding is up and working and able to call the ping command, the Thing is ONLINE.

@rlkoshak it seems reasonable to me, but why this OFFLINE —> ONLINE message appears straight after I turned the device on?

I forgot to mention this happens with all pingable devices right now, not only one. I will try to do a couple of trials tomorrow and will report back.

Max

I couldn’t say. The behavior may have changed at some point because a lot o people get confused by the ONLINE Thing/ OFF Item case with the Network binding. But if it hasn’t changed it should behave like all other bindings and ONLINE means that the binding is working and nothing more.

Based on my observation I would say it depends on the binding.
The network binding shows things being online when devices are not in the network.
E.g. cell phone is away. Wouldn’t make sense to show the thing being OFFLINE if a device is not there.

I yesterday updated the firmware of a Yamaha receiver. During that time the Thing ( Yamaha binding ) went from ONLINE to OFFLINE/COMMUNICATION_ERROR.

The state of the Thing is supposed to represent the state of the Thing itself, not the state of the device the Thing re of represents (that’s what the Channels are for).

Usually this means that the communications channel between OH and the device is open and working (e.g. api account is logged in successfully, controller is online, etc).

The Network binding is confusing to done because the Thing can be online even when the device itself isn’t present because the Thing is still working even when the device isn’t present

I could imagine the Network binding maintainers may have changed the Network binding so it works differently from all the other bindings. I don’t know that’s the case and honestly am skeptical that is the case, but it’s the only explanation for the OP’s described behavior I can think of.

I agree but that confuses lots of people so maybe they changed the behavior for the Network binding. They shouldn’t have but :person_shrugging:

Thanks to all for the interesting discussion.

At the end of the it was a OS-related issue. I had to reboot the OH server because of an hanging rsync process, since then everything is working fine again :laughing:

Max