Please help! Set up of a small school with OpenHAB

HI Rob good afternoon! I just got myself the Z-wave ACC-UZB3-U-STA and I’m trying to use with the Z-wave Zniffer (v 4.60) - The device is installed (com3 and com6), but cannot make the sniffer work. Do you have anywhere how to run this software? Thanks!

You need to flash the firmware with the area specific version of the zniffer firmware

You will need an account but this guide is good,

https://forum.fibaro.com/topic/29923-tutorial-z-wave-diagnostics-with-pc-controller-and-zniffer/

I need to ask Thomas if I can do a bit of cut and paste

Hi,

Like your little map of the devices.

You will find getting the controller in the centre of the network and in general higher is more effective. I use an extension on the USB cable and it has a massive effect on RF and no noticeable effect on the USB link.

1 Like

Hi good morning! Thank you so much! I’m in the fight at the little school right now, and already downloaded the software. I do have access to the tutorial (I registered with fibaro no problem) - I’m figuring out how to use the software and will let you know how it goes. Thanks!!!

The flashing instructions are half way down the page. Make sure you use the regional file. I think you are in north america so you need the U version.

1 Like

Hi! Today after 10 hours in the ceiling I put a second USB stick (z-wave aeotec) in the back of the building, thinking this was going to be supported (I put USB 2.0 over UTP cable). I am able to see the second usb stick and add to the Paper UI or Habmin, but detection of devices on the second controller seems not working properly. I do have the same node (node 2) for devices in two different z-wave networks. Does anybody has a running stable (2.5 - debian) install with 2 z-wave usb stick controllers? Do you mind sharing? Thanks!!!

I am not sure this will work but Chris will confirm.

I am surprised you need this anyway. It does seem a complication and with so little distance it should be possible without.

Have you got zniffer up and running? That will show if the controller is going into add. Any logs?

Hi Rob
Yes I’ve got the sniffer running but didn’t get any logs yet (I wasn’t at the school with that computer)- I’ll get those this evening and post here and hopefully we can find out what the issue is.
I’ve been with this project for almost 4 months and without consistent results I’m trying every possible option… and still don’t understand why just 10 meters straight view does not work some times or fails overnight or similar… and why the network healing if you leave it over a network light mine does not work at all, and leaves a lot of timeouts…
Thank you for your encouragement I’m not giving up on the project nor on OpenHAB!
Adrian

Hi Adrian,
a zwave network has exactly one primary controller and can consist of up to 232 devices.
And, nodes are not allowed to connect to more then one zwave network.
That means you have to exclude nodes from your initial network before including to the new network.
Best Ragards, Bernd

1 Like

1 Like

good point. Yes it is. But the z-wave wall switch is in the other side - and you are right I’ll need to fight with the sniffer at the school - only way to know what is really going on there. Thanks!