POE as UPS system concept

Perhaps someday Windows will be a multitasking multithreaded OS too. :wink:

There is this thing called DHCP reservations.

Windows, lol? What do you think were in data centres 4 decades ago. This all “boys stuff” :wink:

belive it or not in my current router(ISP) does not have the option
i was just giving an exmaple of a smart device that maybe i dont want to go off
but yes i will be able to do reservations once i move in

I worked with real UNIX workstations & servers for many years. (SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX) I agree that Linux & Windows are both toys. When I was working there, the data centre had a motor generator set connected to batteries to act as a UPS… It worked quite well until it war replaced with a more modern UPS.

Your router does nit have to be the DHCP server for your internal network.

Well, normally I would go for a true UPS. There are two reason why I dont concentrate on this regarding smarthome systems.

1. It takes a huge UPS to provide enough power to keep the whole house running for perhaps a coupple of hours. My house has a standby powerlevel of aprox 500W. Which means for an UPS to provide power to the whole house for three hours, it has to be atleast 1500W continuesly. It doesnt sound much, but this is standby power only.
  2. The UPS has to be 3-phases. They´re quite expencive, or 3 x 1 phase UPS 1500W. And still this only covers the standby power.

The best option (in my opinion), is to either focus on getting the system to shut down correctly, (meaning everything has to be interfaced). Or at least try to save data loss on a system which has an unrealiable storage, like an Rpi using an SD card. And simply accepting, if there´s every gona be a power breake then the smarthome system wont be functioning.
Lucky we hardly ever have power breaks here in Denmark. In the last 10 years I have had two. One lasted 3 hours as far as I recall (it was a new years eve). The second was less than an hour.
My main (windows server) runs on a laptop. Its has build-in battery and can continue to run at least 3 hours. So whats missing is my Rpi (and Odroid) which runs openhab.
(My IHC system which also covers the alarm system, has a battery backup build-in as well for the alarm part of the system and can run for at least 8 hours).

Providing a simple powerbank to the Rpi seems like a very easy solution to cover the possible loss of data.

Incorrect. The UPS would need to be able to handle 500W. The batteries for the UPS would need to be at least 1.5 KwH (kilowatt-hours) or 1500 watt-hours.

You´re right. (bad explained by me). The battery has to cover 1.5kWh, not the UPS itself. The UPS just have to cover the power consumption (ie 500W).

2 Likes

good thing i have two 1500W :grimacing:
i also have 3 400W if i will not go in that route…(i have been collecting)

but i only have 250W of POE so i am not sure where are you trying to go

and who said anything about a whole home UPS?
i am talking about some USBs some SBCs you guys are jumping to 2030 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Noone. That was to explain how I focus on UPS/backup power in general, to rossko.

So do I, as far as my Rpi/Odroid goes. Those damn SBC´s are simply not stable enough to survive just the smallest power outrage. Though I love openHAB2, I do not fancy starting all over all the time (even though I have a backup) (well, i just re-installed my Rpi4 once again, due to issues with my Odroid setup… Boy how I hate these systems :smiley:

Worse part in all this UPS talking…
I have a LG Chem Resu10H battery of 9.8kWh connected to the solar system. Unfortunatly this can not work as an UPS, (due to design and by the law here in Denmark)… Thats really frustrating :woozy_face:

i use a core i5 for OH and all related server tasks…using proxmox and loving it
i have RPIs for non critctal stuff like volumio octoprint…

it will be nice not to woory about reboots ever, even tough its not an issue with linux based OSs
i can see it helping with SD crashes, and please dont tell me to plug an SSD
i just want cheap PIs , and not to go crazy with SSDs , power banks ,power breaks

with POE , PI+ POE hat or spliter and you are good to go(in theory time will tell)

SSD´s are cheap as well. And they´re fast as hell :smiley:
My Odroid uses eMMC.
My Rpi4 is powered by PoE-hat atm… Not really sure if I will continue with that, cause then I have to power my PoE switch from a “real” UPS. Havnt decided yet!.

1 Like

but i have so many :roll_eyes: to buy

And when ´m finished designing my end system, I will probably have a few as well. Just came to think that maybe I should go for a UPS for my switch, as I have a few PoE cameras as well…
Question is - Will I ever be finished designing my system… Probably not :smiley:

dont woory non of us did, we are still doing design here
this is the fun part no? no production no testing , no clinet , just one mad wife

2 Likes

tell me about it :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.