Presence Detection Seems Too Hard

well it seems like you are trying to fix humans with technology, which kind of can’t be done :wink:
if one is not able to arm own house before leaving, nothing will help :stuck_out_tongue:

Ofcouse it can be done… Just a matter of enough triggers and some highly advanced logic :slight_smile:
This is actually a simple task. The worse part is to trust the system working as suppose to, every time.

Having a daugther at 16, it sometimes feels more simple to create an highly advanced automated system, rather than trying to correct her :smiley:
(She isn´t that bad to remember to activate the alarm… luckily!).

Turns out that it’s even easier than that.

Thats the next step when face detection doesn´t work :slight_smile:
For a Tesla model 3, I wouldnt do it though, it´s the cheap model you know :smiley:

Actually I really like the idea of having an RFID inserted somewhere under the skin. I have thought about fingerprints as well, maybe even an eye (iris) scanner as I think the RFID chip can be copied.

I’ve been using the Unifi binding for presence detection for about a year now, after trying quite a few options, including OwnTracks and the Network binding, and the Unifi has been pretty much spot on. Don’t get me wrong, there are times when someone has left their phone at home, or my openHAB/Unifi virtual machines have restarted in an order that left the binding not working until I’ve noticed, but generally, it reflects with reasonable accuracy the current occupancy situation at home.

I’ve not actually used it yet for controlling anything, but I’m fairly happy that, combined with maybe something like motion sensors, I can have a fairly good solution.

I use the UniFi binding as well. It works pretty good. Only problem is the delay when “things” have left. It can take up to 5 minutes. I guess this is why Russel use a “manual” switch, when he leaves the house.

You can set the time delay in sensing Unifi things as offline - I’ve got it set to 180 seconds, but it could be as low as 10s if you want, or whatever your polling period is (mine checks status of devices every 10 seconds)

Ok we have processed the trade-in for your car. All we need is for you to give us the keys.:scream::flushed:

Hmm I thought this was difficult to go below 180 (3) minutes…
But it may be due to I´m still using a rather old version of the binding.

I’ll bet this could be modified to server presence detection to OH. :wink:

Are you in for doing the modding? :smiley:

1 Like

If you buy me the Tesla. :smiley:

This is likely to end in tears, like people that handcuff themselves to a case full of cash.
Car thief kit: Carpet knife.

How times change, it seems like only yesterday we all expected to be made to have a barcode tattooed on our forearms (with the same carpet knife risks)

That car cost an arm and a leg. :smiley:
Do not get the key implanted in your remaining good arm. :wink:

Does the UniFi binding work without one of their routers? I found that within my searching, but it didn’t seem like it would apply to my Google Wifi setup.

Hi, I saw this and got the D1 Mini part to work, but haven’t managed to set up the OH part yet. From what I can see on FX-MQtt the D1 MINI broadcasts wifi strength and uptime in seconds. https://github.com/aderusha/MQTTCarPresence.

Would be great is someone can translate the HomeAssistant to OpenHab.

You mean the Home Assistant rules?

yes. I see the D1 MINI boot and connect to wifi in mere seconds, so that part works, but I have no idea what to config in OH. Is it a rule or a “thing” .
I mean once you have that working, I imagine turning on lights after dark and all kinds of stuff.

Ok thanks Rich, off to go reading…
thanks

That seems to relate to MQTT and I have not worked with that yet, Home Assistant does not separate things and items. They use entities which is sort of a combination.

The Home Assistant automation would be rules.