Presence Detection Seems Too Hard

hi, is there a way we can run our own reciever to reduce the load on the MongoDB, or best to wait for the bigger solution, thanks for your assistance on this

Yep, there’s a way. This discussion has drifted off of the original topic of presence detection, so I’d suggest pursuing further conversation here:

Made an instructable for this. Must admit, I am still testing and tweaking it however, as only recently received Wemos with external antenna. Best effort if you’re interested, would be keen to see others experiences with this (very simple project)

1 Like

Nice article…
But I cant help wondering if a mobilphone couldnt do the same?

Yeah it could, but if you read my other posts earlier in this thread, this supplements existing presence detection methods. So until we have microchips implanted under our skin :slight_smile: I think presence detection is best determined by a combination of multiple devices and then adding smarts around those to calculate whether one or multiple people are home or not, as opposed to getting that information from a single device. Eg: drove away from home but left mobile on bench, or, went out for a walk and took mobile with you, both scenarios would have either mobile presence or vehicle presence alone failing.

1 Like

Agree totally…
Whenever I get the time to test this, I´ll add face detection for present detection. I´m just not convinced thats its working properly yet.

I’ve been testing my vehicle presence detection method for the past week and it has worked flawlessly identifying to OpenHAB whether my car is home or away (driving to or from home) often several times a day, so pretty happy with it so far. At the moment, I have it locking my front door when it detects the vehicle is away (in case I forget) and unlocking when getting home as well as turning on porch lights if it’s night time. Many other use cases for this too.

I had to tweak the settings in code however, so it now takes the average of 4 x RSSI signal samples every 500ms, plus there are other small changes to code to reduce the start up time of Wifi (as need to connect ASAP when the vehicle starts to ensure at least an initial connection) Seems pretty good so far, very interested if others could try and report back!