Presumably problem with *.item File

Hello there,

I need some Help finding an error in one of my Item files. I think

This is the situation:
I recently changed a lot of Items in a *.Item File. Now every time i save the *.Items file the following error apears in the log:

2022-11-16 08:33:44.937 [ERROR] [ore.common.registry.AbstractRegistry] - Cannot inform the listener "org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelLinkNotifier@284269" about the "UPDATED" event: null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at java.util.Objects.requireNonNull(Objects.java:221) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.knx.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler.getChannelTypeUID(DeviceThingHandler.java:275) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.knx.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler.isControl(DeviceThingHandler.java:269) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.binding.knx.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler.channelLinked(DeviceThingHandler.java:162) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelLinkNotifier.lambda$3(ChannelLinkNotifier.java:72) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelLinkNotifier.call(ChannelLinkNotifier.java:96) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelLinkNotifier.added(ChannelLinkNotifier.java:72) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelLinkNotifier.updated(ChannelLinkNotifier.java:88) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelLinkNotifier.updated(ChannelLinkNotifier.java:1) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.common.registry.AbstractRegistry.notifyListeners(AbstractRegistry.java:387) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.common.registry.AbstractRegistry.notifyListenersAboutUpdatedElement(AbstractRegistry.java:408) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLinkRegistry.notifyListenersAboutUpdatedElement(ItemChannelLinkRegistry.java:150) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLinkRegistry.notifyListenersAboutUpdatedElement(ItemChannelLinkRegistry.java:1) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.common.registry.AbstractRegistry.updated(AbstractRegistry.java:314) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.common.registry.AbstractRegistry.updated(AbstractRegistry.java:1) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.common.registry.AbstractProvider.notifyListeners(AbstractProvider.java:66) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.common.registry.AbstractProvider.notifyListenersAboutUpdatedElement(AbstractProvider.java:91) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.thing.internal.GenericItemChannelLinkProvider.createItemChannelLink(GenericItemChannelLinkProvider.java:108) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.thing.internal.GenericItemChannelLinkProvider.processBindingConfiguration(GenericItemChannelLinkProvider.java:76) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.internalDispatchBindings(GenericItemProvider.java:372) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.internalDispatchBindings(GenericItemProvider.java:341) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.processBindingConfigsFromModel(GenericItemProvider.java:212) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.item.internal.GenericItemProvider.modelChanged(GenericItemProvider.java:407) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.notifyListeners(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:301) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.addOrRefreshModel(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:139) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.core.internal.folder.FolderObserver.checkFile(FolderObserver.java:249) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.model.core.internal.folder.FolderObserver.processWatchEvent(FolderObserver.java:312) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.service.WatchQueueReader.lambda$3(WatchQueueReader.java:323) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

The Items in the file seem to work fine as far as i can tell.
I i dont want to post the whole Item File it is quite long and honestly i dont want to expose it to the internet…

Can anyone help me what i can look for or help me understand what this error means?

Roughly I would say there is some issue with the channel link the item is linked to, but my first guess would be to restart openHAB :slight_smile:
I had some issues from time to time after larger changes (though the issues showed different from what you have) and I was always able to resolve by restarting opnHAB (given that the thing and item definitions itself are correct)…

Robert

1 Like

If you use Visual Studio Code and openHAB plugin it will check for syntax errors

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions @martiniman and @rfuh

I did a restart, but nothing changed except the first line the number after the @ is now 18e5065

2022-11-16 11:57:51.016 [ERROR] [ore.common.registry.AbstractRegistry] - Cannot inform the listener "org.openhab.core.thing.internal.ChannelLinkNotifier@18e5065" about the "UPDATED" event: null

I use Visual Studio Code, yet i can not see anything wrong. also all my items seem to work. (but i could have missed one…)

Found it.

It was a typo in a “Channel Link” to a channel of a thing in the knx binding that did not exist…

Thanks for your help!