Problem during rebase

When i try to rebase my development branch of openhab-addons to the current main using the method from this post: https://community.openhab.org/t/rebase-your-code-or-how-to-fix-your-git-history-before-requesting-a-pull/129358
I get the following error message:

error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by checkout:
        bundles/org.openhab.binding.miele/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/miele/internal/handler/DishwasherHandler.java
Please move or remove them before you switch branches.

git status shows a clean branch with no changes.
If i just delete the DishwasherHandler.java from the file system, git wants me to commit a change before doing the rebase.
I am confused now because the error message shows the file as untracked, altough git wants a commit when i delete the file.

My Branch is NOT about the Miele Binding, so i basically just want to take over any changes there.
Can anybody help me out how to solve this ? Do i really need to delete the file on my branch and do a commit for it ?

I ran into this the other day. The name of that file was changed recently, but it was only a change in the case. Are you on a Windows or Mac computer? If so, you need to tell git to be case insensitive.

Set it for the repo like this

git config core.ignorecase true

Or globally like this

git config --global core.ignorecase true
3 Likes

That did it for me! Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.