Problem to load ONKYO binding

Hi all,
I’m new to openHAB. So may be a stupid question:
Just installed ONKYO binding and trying to define Thing via Paper UI, Got error messages in logs:
“Cannot create thing. No binding found that supports creating a thing of type ‘onkyo:onkyoAVR’.” . Same for device specific model ‘onkyo:TX-NR838’.
Hans
btw: running on release build 2.2.0-1

Have you installed the onkyo binding?

Yes, installed ONKYO binding. Please find log below:

## UNINSTALL BINDING
2018-01-17 13:08:23.640 [INFO ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Uninstalled 'openhab-binding-onkyo'
2018-01-17 13:08:23.648 [thome.event.ExtensionEvent] - Extension 'binding-onkyo' has been uninstalled.
## INSTALL BINDING 
2018-01-17 13:09:20.549 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.core.karaf              ] - ServiceEvent MODIFIED - {org.openhab.core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller, org.osgi.service.cm.ConfigurationListener}={component.name=org.openhab.addons, remote=true, service.config.category=system, service.config.description.uri=system:addons, felix.fileinstall.filename=file:/var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.openhab.addons.cfg, service.pid=org.openhab.addons, service.config.label=Add-on Management, binding=kodi,harmonyhub,hue,onkyo, ui=habpanel,habmin,paper, component.id=6, package=standard, legacy=true, service.id=148, service.bundleid=186, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.core.karaf
2018-01-17 13:09:26.592 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent INSTALLED - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
2018-01-17 13:09:26.835 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent RESOLVED - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
2018-01-17 13:09:26.881 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent STARTING - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
2018-01-17 13:09:26.890 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent STARTED - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
2018-01-17 13:09:26.896 [DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/binding/binding.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
2018-01-17 13:09:26.908 [DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/channel-groups.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
2018-01-17 13:09:26.923 [DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/config/config.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
2018-01-17 13:09:26.924 [DEBUG] [re.internal.service.ReadyServiceImpl] - Added ready marker esh.xmlBindingInfo=org.openhab.binding.onkyo
2018-01-17 13:09:26.938 [DEBUG] [re.internal.service.ReadyServiceImpl] - Added ready marker esh.xmlConfig=org.openhab.binding.onkyo
2018-01-17 13:09:26.941 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.UpnpDiscoveryParticipant}={component.name=org.openhab.binding.onkyo.internal.discovery.OnkyoUpnpDiscoveryParticipant, component.id=177, service.id=299, service.bundleid=206, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
2018-01-17 13:09:26.958 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent [unknown:512] - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
2018-01-17 13:09:26.975 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Installed 'openhab-binding-onkyo'
2018-01-17 13:09:26.979 [DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/channels.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
2018-01-17 13:09:26.992 [thome.event.ExtensionEvent] - Extension 'binding-onkyo' has been installed.
2018-01-17 13:09:27.045 [DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/onkyoAVR.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
2018-01-17 13:09:27.053 [DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/onkyoUnsupported.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
2018-01-17 13:09:27.168 [DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr828.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
2018-01-17 13:09:27.179 [DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr838.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
2018-01-17 13:09:27.220 [DEBUG] [re.internal.service.ReadyServiceImpl] - Added ready marker esh.xmlThingTypes=org.openhab.binding.onkyo
## CREATE THING 
2018-01-17 13:10:36.546 [DEBUG] [ore.thing.internal.ThingRegistryImpl] - Creating thing for type 'onkyo:TX-NR838'.
2018-01-17 13:10:36.551 [WARN ] [ore.thing.internal.ThingRegistryImpl] - Cannot create thing. No binding found that supports creating a thing of type 'onkyo:TX-NR838'.
2018-01-17 13:10:36.565 [DEBUG] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Thing 'onkyo:TX-NR838:aac0fc54' is tracked by ThingManager.
2018-01-17 13:10:36.569 [DEBUG] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Not registering a handler at this point since no handler factory for thing 'onkyo:TX-NR838:aac0fc54' found.
2018-01-17 13:10:36.573 [DEBUG] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Not registering a handler at this point. No handler factory for thing 'onkyo:TX-NR838:aac0fc54' found.
2018-01-17 13:10:36.577 [DEBUG] [mon.registry.AbstractManagedProvider] - Added new element onkyo:TX-NR838:aac0fc54 to ManagedThingProvider.
## THING STATUS STAYS UNINITIALIZED

OK, we’ve confirmed the binding is installed and appears to be nominally operational. However, there are two onkyo bindings, one 1.x version and a 2.x version. I’m pretty certain you have the 2.x version based on your logs. it would say “Installed ‘openhab-binding-onkyo1’” for the 1.x version.

TX-NR838 does appear in the list of supported devices in the README.

This binding does support autodiscovery. Is there a reason you are not letting the binding discover and create the Thing for you?

What specific values are you putting in when you create the Thing?

In the end, it does look like a Thing is created. Does onkyo:TX-NR838:aac0fc54 show up anywhere?

Hi Rich,
yes, I’m using binding-onkyo - 2.2.0.
What do you mean by autodiscovery?. Trying to scan via PaperUi>Inbox>Scan I don’t get a popup for onkyo binding. Only for my HArmonyHub and Hue binding.
When I manually create a thing, I only have to provide the IP-address. I checked via CMD> telnet IP-adress 60128 that my ONKYO AVR is reponding with ISCP packets. And yes, a thing is created. I can see it via PaperUI and org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.Thing.json. But thing “Onkyo TX-NR838 AV Receiver” stays in status INITIALIZING.
THX for support
Hans
btw: looking at github, I can see changes o tx-828.xml and tx-838.xml 11h ago. Do I have to load a new version of this binding?

That is what I mean. The README says it supports autodiscovery but I do know that many time the autodiscovery doesn’t work for some bindings.

I don’t know anything about this binding so I can’t answer the specifics about the changes to the xml files nor have I any further suggestions, unfortunately.

Onkyo binding support auto discovery, so it’s weird that your Onkyo receiver isn’t found automatically. Your OpenHAB instance and Onkyo receiver is on the same network? Both are connected by Ethernet? Binding use UPnP to discover Onkyo devices. Anyhow, it’s ok also introduce Onkyo thing manually, but some reason binding is not able to communicate to the receiver.

You could enable trace level logging for Onkyo binding to see hopefully more information about the problem.

looking at github, I can see changes o tx-828.xml and tx-838.xml 11h ago. Do I have to load a new version of this binding?

I fixed those XML files yesterday. Files and contents was across, meaning tx-828.xml file was containing tx-838 thing and tx-838.xml was containing tx-828 thing. But that should be just cosmetic and not cause any problems I think.

Yes , both systems (Pi3 + AVR) are connected via wired ETH. I can ping/connect from PI to AVR via Telnet and receiving ISCP packets:

pi@ST-HAB:~ $ telnet 192.168.23.8 60128
Trying 192.168.23.8...
Connected to 192.168.23.8.
Escape character is '^]'.
ISCP*!1NLT0101000000280110FF0100My Favorites
ISCP
    !1NLSC0P
ISCP&!1NLSU0-ROCK ANTENNE Classic Perlen
ISCP$!1NLSU1-ROCK ANTENNE Rock NonStop

Please find TRACE log from fresh install of binding :

[DEBUG] [org.openhab.core.karaf              ] - ServiceEvent MODIFIED - {org.openhab.core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller, org.osgi.service.cm.ConfigurationListener}={component.name=org.openhab.addons, remote=true, service.config.category=system, service.config.description.uri=system:addons, felix.fileinstall.filename=file:/var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.openhab.addons.cfg, service.pid=org.openhab.addons, service.config.label=Add-on Management, binding=kodi,harmonyhub,hue,onkyo, ui=habpanel,habmin,paper, component.id=6, package=standard, legacy=false, service.id=151, service.bundleid=186, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.core.karaf
[DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent INSTALLED - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
[DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent RESOLVED - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
[DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent STARTING - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
[DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent STARTED - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/binding/binding.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/config/config.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - ServiceEvent REGISTERED - {org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.UpnpDiscoveryParticipant}={component.name=org.openhab.binding.onkyo.internal.discovery.OnkyoUpnpDiscoveryParticipant, component.id=181, service.id=321, service.bundleid=220, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
[TRACE] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Create an empty XmlDocumentProvider for the module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'.
[DEBUG] [re.internal.service.ReadyServiceImpl] - Added ready marker esh.xmlBindingInfo=org.openhab.binding.onkyo
[TRACE] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Create an empty XmlDocumentProvider for the module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'.
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/channel-groups.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [re.internal.service.ReadyServiceImpl] - Added ready marker esh.xmlConfig=org.openhab.binding.onkyo
[DEBUG] [org.openhab.binding.onkyo           ] - BundleEvent [unknown:512] - org.openhab.binding.onkyo
[DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Installed 'openhab-binding-onkyo'
[thome.event.ExtensionEvent] - Extension 'binding-onkyo' has been installed.
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/channels.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/onkyoAVR.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/onkyoUnsupported.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr414.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr509.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr515.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr525.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr535.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr555.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr616.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr626.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr646.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr656.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr717.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr727.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr737.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr747.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr818.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr828.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [ig.xml.osgi.XmlDocumentBundleTracker] - Reading the XML document '/ESH-INF/thing/tx-nr838.xml' in module 'org.openhab.binding.onkyo'...
[DEBUG] [re.internal.service.ReadyServiceImpl] - Added ready marker esh.xmlThingTypes=org.openhab.binding.onkyo

At this point, I can’t do autodisvoer cause onkyo binding is simply not mentioned in scan-popup. So I manually added Thing:

[DEBUG] [ore.thing.internal.ThingRegistryImpl] - Creating thing for type 'onkyo:TX-NR838'.
[WARN ] [ore.thing.internal.ThingRegistryImpl] - Cannot create thing. No binding found that supports creating a thing of type 'onkyo:TX-NR838'.
[DEBUG] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Thing 'onkyo:TX-NR838:01194259' is tracked by ThingManager.
[DEBUG] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Not registering a handler at this point since no handler factory for thing 'onkyo:TX-NR838:01194259' found.
[DEBUG] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Not registering a handler at this point. No handler factory for thing 'onkyo:TX-NR838:01194259' found.
[DEBUG] [mon.registry.AbstractManagedProvider] - Added new element onkyo:TX-NR838:01194259 to ManagedThingProvider.
[TRACE] [thing.firmware.FirmwareUpdateService] - No firmware update handler available for thing with UID onkyo:TX-NR838:01194259.
[TRACE] [thing.firmware.FirmwareUpdateService] - No firmware update handler available for thing with UID onkyo:TX-NR838:01194259.

Seems to me FW related; Onkyo releases new FW some weeks ago. I have already deployed new NW to AVR.
THX for support
Hans
btw: is it possible to restrict TRACE log to onkyo binding only? I used
log4j2.logger.openhab.level = TRACE and
log4j2.logger.smarthome.level = TRACE

Just installed another instance on my Windows PC on same subnet and got onkyo binding working within minutes!
Are there any other files needed for this binding; I’ve found:

PC-cygwin>find /cygdrive/c/OPENHAB -type f | grep -i onkyo
/cygdrive/c/OPENHAB/userdata/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/2.2.0/org.openhab.binding.onkyo-2.2.0.jar
/cygdrive/c/OPENHAB/userdata/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/2.2.0/org.openhab.binding.onkyo-2.2.0.jar.sha1

PI-root@ST-HAB:/# find . -type f 2>/dev/null | grep onkyo
./var/lib/openhab2/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/2.2.0/org.openhab.binding.onkyo-2.2.0.jar.sha1
./var/lib/openhab2/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/2.2.0/org.openhab.binding.onkyo-2.2.0.jar
./srv/openhab2-userdata/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/2.2.0/org.openhab.binding.onkyo-2.2.0.jar.sha1
./srv/openhab2-userdata/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.onkyo/2.2.0/org.openhab.binding.onkyo-2.2.0.jar

Files sizes are identical. Any other files needed for this binding?