Problems during upgrade to 2.5.8-1 - cannot boot

Platform information:

• Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 model B rev 1.2
  • Java Runtime Environment: 1.8.0_265
  • openHAB version: 2.5.8-1

Hello, I’d like to share what happened during the upgrade to 2.5.8-1. It was to be a normal upgrade, I used openhabian-config as usual. But during upgrade process the system halted and after that I lost control of openhab, since the command line didn’t appear again.

so I physically shutted down the RPI. But now I’m unable to reboot it… I looked at the files, they appear intact. Is there any way to restore the boot files without losing my data in it??

I’d really appreciate any help.

Paulo

So you have a monitor connected to the system?
What is the content of the message during booting?

It’s halted in the rainbow screen…

Could be a corrupt SD Card.

You could try to re-image & restore your configuration backup.

Here is a loooong detailed article about reasons why Pi might not boot:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58151

1 Like

Did you find the root cause?
I seem to have a similar issue:

I unfortunately didn’t find the cause, I could only solve is making a new SD card and restoring my backups… I think from now on I’ll always make a backup before going to a new OH version…

I expected you to say this.
Actually I try whatever I can to avoid this…
Thanks for your quick response, though.

1 Like
  • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 model B rev 1.2
  • Java Runtime Environment: 1.8.0_265
  • openHAB version: 2.5.8-1

I made a clone from the SD Card via openhabian cinfig tool. After that I made an update via openhabian config. After the update I made a reboot but it doesn´t boot.

Now it seems, both cards do not boot and I have no other backup (only the red led is on).

The problem is, there have been a a lot of data on the pi, (Influg and rrdj4).

Is it somehow possible to get these data and start from scratch, because I think, the cards will never boot on the pi.

BR
Daniel

Try to mount the card on a linux system. Once the system partition is mounted you can create a backup of the data.

Thank you Wolfgang

Problem is, I dont have a running linux system (which would be possible with the pi lying around)
but how do I mount the sd card? Or woud it also be possible on an other running openhabian system?

BR

That should work if you have a sd card reader / slot.
What you also could do is to use a linux e.g. Ubuntu live system e.g. booted from DVD or stick on your PC or labtop.