Problems with controlling playback on TV

Hi
I recently upgraded Openhab to 3.2 and Alexa binding to 3.2.7-SNAPSHOT. Then I tried to set up playback control for my TV (it’s Philips with Philips TV binding). And with each try to Pause/resume plaback for TV Alexa says that she doesn’t support this feature for this device. I have identical configuration for soundbar or Onkyo receiver and it works flawlessly.
Part of configuration is below (TV is defined as music system because I tried to reproduce configuration from connected receiver - it doesn’t help, setting it for TV also):

Group multimedia_tv_salon "TV"  (model_Livingroom) ["Equipment","Television"] {alexa="Endpoint.Speaker"[category="MusicSystem"]}

Switch media_tv_salon_power "Power" (multimedia_tv_salon,power_strips) ["Switch"]  {alexa="PowerController.powerState", channel="philipstv:tv:F00DBABE_AA5E_BABA_DADA_542AA2C852DC:power"}
Player media_tv_salon_control "Playback" (multimedia_tv_salon) {alexa="Playback", channel="philipstv:tv:F00DBABE_AA5E_BABA_DADA_542AA2C852DC:player"}

Number media_tv_salon_volume "Volume" <soundvolume> (multimedia_tv_salon)  {alexa="Speaker.volume",channel="philipstv:tv:F00DBABE_AA5E_BABA_DADA_542AA2C852DC:volume"}

Do you have any idea why ot doesn’t work?
PS: Binding for TV works correctly - issuing command from UI/API works.

This is related to the skill, not the amazonechocontrol binding.

I know, but I’ve tried to put all (possibly) important information. From my experience (I work in IT business for years) I can believe that there can be an “IF” condition for “TV” string, because someday it seemed to be a good idea ;).
Anyway - it looks strange (it works for some devices and for the other not), I’ve put it into Alexa category.

1 Like

In my setup the TV group item has the Alexa “Television” attribute and the playback item has “PlaybackController.playback” in the metadata. Yours only has “Playback” - not sure if there is a difference but maybe worth to try

First, I would recommend using the new metadata syntax across the group endpoint.

Group multimedia_tv_salon "TV"  (model_Livingroom) ["Equipment", "Television"] {alexa="Television"}
Switch media_tv_salon_power "Power" (multimedia_tv_salon,power_strips) ["Switch"]  {alexa="PowerState", channel="philipstv:tv:F00DBABE_AA5E_BABA_DADA_542AA2C852DC:power"}
Player media_tv_salon_control "Playback" (multimedia_tv_salon) {alexa="Playback", channel="philipstv:tv:F00DBABE_AA5E_BABA_DADA_542AA2C852DC:player"}
Number media_tv_salon_volume "Volume" <soundvolume> (multimedia_tv_salon)  {alexa="VolumeLevel", channel="philipstv:tv:F00DBABE_AA5E_BABA_DADA_542AA2C852DC:volume"}

Secondly, since you mentioned you have the same configuration for another device, have you checked your OH event logs to see if the commands sent by the skill? It could be that your Philips TV binding isn’t working as expected.

I changed the metadata, but it didn’t helped.

Secondly:
Voice is correctly recognized by Alexa itself:

2022-01-09 23:34:05.283 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand' changed from turn on tv to pause the tv             │

but there is no command sent to device. When I use API it works OK

2022-01-09 23:40:39.902 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'media_tv_salon_control' received command PAUSE

and TV pauses content
Philips binding has own problems, but at this moment it doesn’t matter.
Maybe there is some internal reserved words for TV which has priority over defined by binding/skill. I checked skill sources and haven’t found anyting for it, but maybe there is something more.

Did you get an acknowledgement response?

Have you tried a different device name? It is true that the room awareness feature includes television devices. So there could be some conflicts if your TV device is part of an Alexa group with a linked echo device.

Te only acknowledgement is from Alexa: “The TV does not support that feature” and no command is issued to OH item. I can see it only from echocontrol binding as last voice command.

I tried “television” and “my tv”. Basically volume control and power switch works for this TV, I have problems with playback control. And I don’t use any other skill - only Openhab and Echo binding (I use Alexa as a voice interface to OH), I have only couple of routines to override Alexa’s default behavior to (i.e.) “good night” or “good morning” commands. Nothing connected with TV.

This doesn’t provide any proof that the utterance was processed as expected. It should not be used to troubleshoot any issue with the skill.

Have you tried to rename your device to a different name? If so, can you try something less generic? Like including the room location.