Problems with setting up dashboard habpanel! Please help?

Hi folks, I encounter this thread: Dashboard UI suitable for tablets
and I found this great project: https://github.com/smar000/openhab-dashboard
I tried hours to setup his project but I can not get it to work since I’m not a linux expert.
I follow his instruction but everything is totally a mess right now
I am using raspberry pi3 OH1.8.3
Can anybody show me SPECIFICALLY EVERY SINGLE step to get it works?
He skipped so many step in his instruction, that’s why beginners like me feel so difficult to keep up!
So please anyone help me? I will be very, very appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Hi,

You probably want to set up HABPanel which is not the same thing you linked to this thread.
These are dashboards based on “Dashing” framework. They were implemented way before HABPanel existed.

For now the easiest thing for you would be to set up official HABPanel.

From what I see you are using RPi3. I strongly encourage you to check out official openHABian distribution which makes things soo much easier.
This means you’ll have openHAB2.0 on your Raspberry right away.

Cheers,
Kuba

Thanks for your reply,
I do know about HABPanel, but after I used it I felt a little frustrated because I can not change several properties of an item as I want. So I’d rather want to implement my desired change through coding, which CAN NOT BE DONE by using HABpanel
Then I found the thread and it’s exactly what I want, but however; I failed to set it up all the time and I’m so disappointing at the moment
I hope you can show me deliborately how can I install it?

There is complete installation instructions on @smar github repository.

If this is not working for you, you should describe where you are struggeling, so other users could help.

First, I have currently 2 problems:
1.I went to http://dashing.io/, when I use this command:
dashing new sweet_dashboard_project
Here is the result:
usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in gem_original_require': no such file to load -- json (LoadError) from /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:inrequire’
from /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing/downloader.rb:3
from /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in gem_original_require' from /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:inrequire’
from /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/dashing-1.3.7/bin/dashing:7
from /usr/local/bin/dashing:23:in `load’
from /usr/local/bin/dashing:23
2.And when he said:
“In the service folder of this repository, there is a start-up script you can use if you want to run dashing as a service. Modify the paths in this service file with anything that is different on your installation. On Ubuntu, this file can be placed in the /etc/init.d folder with persmissions set at 755. You will also need to run update-rc.d if you want the service to start automatically at boot.”

When I opened up the folder under the path: /etc/init.d but I found 2 scripts files quite similar called dashboard and dashing. Which file should I start? And I dont have any idea when he said:“Modify the paths in this service file with anything that is different on your installation”. What exactly should I do?

Since beginners like me totally do not know anything, I hope anyone can give us a clear step-by-step detail how to get it works! It’d be very briliant, thanks for your support

If you are struggling to install the dashing based UI, as per @kubawolanin’s post above, I would recommend that you use HABpanel. This is now the official dashboard UI for OH - the dashing based solution in my github was before HABPanel came along as I needed a solution at that time.

HABPanel does allow custom widgets and if you are happy with coding, you should be able to replicate more or less everything from the dashing solution. I suggest you have a look in the HABPanel template thread, e.g. Template widget - tutorial & examples - make your own widget!

I just saw your other post above. What that statement means is that different distributions of linux have different requirements. It is up to you to modify the code given to your needs based on the distribution you are using. e.g. I have never installed on an RPi. Thus my instructions do not cover that use case. Again, I would strongly recommend that you use HABPanel rather than going down the dashing route, especially if you are not familiar with linux.

1 Like

Oh thanks for your recommendation, It is very useful to me, I will spend more time research and report back as soon as I can. Thanks for your support