Proxy for USB connections like Z-wave

Does anyone have a solution to bundle the USB connections for OH 3 USB interfaces like Z-wave, RFXCom and DSMR in my case.
I would like to disconnect this from the OH system.
This would in my opinion mean that for instance a PI does the binding but all configuration is done in another instance. Reason for asking is my Synology systems what runs OH. This gets more and more problems with USB connections
Or are there ethernet based solution for Z-wave, DSMR and RFXCom what can work with OH 3?
Any is idea’s?

Is this what you are looking for?

You can use the remote binding. Put your devices on a Pi running OH, and then use the remote binding on your Synology OH server to access them as things.

Thanks JustinG. Reading the feedback from rpwong I believe his suggestion is the easiest. I installed the remote openhab binding on my OH 3.x version and wanted to connect to my OH 2.5 instance but get the following error:
Failed to execute the root REST API: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host
the call http://192.168.100.51:8080/rest is working (.51 is my OH 2.5 instance)
Any idea?

According to the docs. your OH2 server should be autodiscovered. After you add it as a thing, your items will show up.

Reading some docker info if found that a docker attached to macvlan is not able to contact the host. (OH3 is inside the docker and OH2.5 native on the server). I will contact Synology if they have a solution for this. Macvlan was solving my Shelly issues but seems one more obstacle to go.

Would your Shelly issues be solved by running them on the OH2 RPi?

Yes even on a RPi OH3 but your suggestion of the remote binding is the perfect solution to move ‘slowly’ from OH2 to OH3. When everything has moved I will replace the OH2 native version with a RPi OH3 for the 3 USB ports only.

//created a macvlan

docker network create -d macvlan -o parent=ovs_eth1
–subnet=192.168.100.0/24
–gateway 192.168.100.1
–ip-range=192.168.100.88/29
–aux-address ‘host=192.168.100.95’
mac-vlan

//created routing – tips found with google search. Not sure how it works
ip link add dockerToHost link ovs_eth1 type macvlan mode bridge
ip addr add 192.168.100.95/32 dev dockerToHost
ip link set dockerToHost up
ip route add 192.168.100.88/29 dev dockerToHost

//created openhab docker
//from the docker I can reach the native OH2.5 installation on my Synoloy NAS on 192.168.100.51
//what I don’t understand yet is why the remote openhab binding finds the OH2.5 installation on 192.168.100.95 instead of 192.168.100.51. Missing knowledge how the routing is working. Who can explain the above?

docker run
–name OpenHAB3.2.0.M4.mac-vlan
–net=mac-vlan
–ip=192.168.100.90
-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
-v /volume1/docker/OpenHab3.2.0.M4.macvlan/addons:/openhab/addons
-v /volume1/docker/OpenHab3.2.0.M4.macvlan/conf:/openhab/conf
-v /volume1/docker/OpenHab3.2.0.M4.macvlan/userdata:/openhab/userdata
-e “EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS=-Duser.timezone=Europe/Amsterdam”
-d \
–restart=always
openhab/openhab:3.2.0.M4-debian

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.