[pushbullet] re-implemented for openHAB 2

Hi guys,

To give all interested parties a heads-up, the reimplementation of my openHAB1 pushbullet action as a proper openHAB2 binding is very nearly finished.

The pull request has been started (and built at least once successfully):

The pull request has been merged into master, so it is available in the current SNAPSHOT builds.

The documentation is also available at the “official” place:

4 Likes

(left intentionally empty for… dunno, something will come to mind :grin: )

What is the use case for Pushbullet vs. the built in notification service?

Depends on what you consider a “built in” notification service.

There are cases where you don’t have the openHAB application available (say, when you are on a PC) or can’t or do not want to connect to myopenhab or your own instance at home (maybe no VPN available or whatever)

The core use case being, it is another way of notifying the user. And openHAB is about giving the user choice :grin:

I agree openhab is all about choice. I also use pushbullet so I wanted to see if there was something I was missing. Pushbullet already pushes my openhab notifications to my browser (from my phone) so I was wondering if there were other use cases I had missed where I could take advantage of this.

Thanks for taking the time to migrate this binding!

At the moment, it is only about pushing. But with the migration to OH2, I plan on improvements like sending images, and, more importantly receiving messages. So you will be able to remote-control your home via pushbullet :see_no_evil:

That is more of an long-term plan though, no fixed schedules, not even “in 2019” :grin:

Good news, the binding is merged into master and thus available in the current SNAPSHOT builds.

Please test and comment if you find problems. Long-term plans are:

• pushing images
  • receiving pushes

@hakan thanks for porting this binding to openHAB 2. I haven’t looked at the code closely yet. I was wondering if you also included the change I made last year adding the ability to push a note to a channel.

I took the complete code from the OH1 action, so your change should be in there. I have not tested that case though.

Could you please run a test? And perhaps add that one line to the README.md again?

I might add a “sendPush(String message)” method so you are not forced to use an invalid mail address though.

I just tested the new binding and I was able to push a note to a channel but the broadcast action
I added where you would just specify a title and a message isn’t working anymore. It seems that now a recipient is always needed. So, when calling the action with two parameters, the recipient would be set with the title causing the notification being sent out to miss that information.

val actions = getActions("pushbullet", "pushbullet:bot:default")
actions.sendPushbulletNote("Test Notification", "Test 2.x")
2019-08-22 17:54:12.365 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - sendPush is called for
2019-08-22 17:54:12.365 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Thing org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingImpl@6f24a793
2019-08-22 17:54:12.366 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Thing Label: 'Pushbullet Default Bot'
2019-08-22 17:54:12.366 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - CFG org.openhab.binding.pushbullet.internal.PushbulletConfiguration@176fd872
2019-08-22 17:54:12.366 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Headers: {Content-Type=application/json, User-Agent=openHAB / Pushbullet binding 2.5.0.201908182253, Access-Token=xxxxxxxxxx}
2019-08-22 17:54:12.366 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Recipient is 'Test Notification'
2019-08-22 17:54:12.367 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Title is     ''
2019-08-22 17:54:12.367 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Message is   'Test 2.x'
2019-08-22 17:54:12.367 [WARN ] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Invalid recipient: Test Notification
2019-08-22 17:54:12.367 [WARN ] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Message will be broadcast to all user's devices.
2019-08-22 17:54:12.368 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Push: Push {title='', body='Test 2.x', type='note', email='null', channelTag='null'}
2019-08-22 17:54:12.368 [DEBUG] [t.internal.handler.PushbulletHandler] - Packed Request: {"title":"","body":"Test 2.x","type":"note"}

Thank you for the report. Unfortunately, I am quite busy with other stuff at the moment.

Could you please open up an issue over at github and maybe already mark it with the label “pushbullet” ? That way, this problem will not be forgotten until the next time I get around to work on it…

Done.

1 Like