[Q] 2 Different Openhab Installation Methods on Raspberry Pi? + Demo?

hey guys, I have been at this for a while and have come across 2 ways to install Openhab on my Raspberry Pi 2 w/ Razberry module (running Raspian Wheezy).

This way which works great and very easy, I just don’t know how to install the demo for it:

I also am not sure what, localhost:8080/openhab.app?sitemap=yourname , the “yourname” part refers to I haven’t found any documentation that explains that.

The second way which seems slightly dated and a manual approach is here:

This explains how to install the demo but uses different directories and a different approach. It uses the /opt/ directory as opposed to the /etc/ directory for the former.

I would like to use the former but I am just confused how to finalize the steps and get an up and running demo or my personal openhab “yourusername”.

Just looking for some tips on where to get the info I’m very willing and hungry to learn this.

Point me in the right direction and I will research it and come back and post how I did it.

Thanks so much!

Travis

With the apt-get method all the configs go in /etc/openhab, the addons in /usr/share/openhab/addons, and web stuff like HABmin go in /usr/share/openhab/webdata.

To install the demo copy configurations to the configs and the jar files to the addons.

The “yourname” part of the URL refers to the sitemap. So to bring up the demo.sitemap you would use “demo”. When you create your own sitemap if you name the file " default.sitemap" you don’t have to refer to the sitemap.

If you are not aware of it, most of the documentation is on the wiki. https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki

There are lots of people here on the forum who are happy to help.

Wow thank you so much Rich! I did exactly what you said.

First, to familiarize myself with the downloads and the folder structures, I downloaded them on my windows machine so I could get a feel for what exactly needs to be copied/moved into what folders.

After I did that downloaded the demo and addons onto the Rpi, and I simply ssh’d in and sudo mv all the files to where they needed to be as per your instructions.

thanks so much and yea I need to read up more on the wiki, cheers Rich!

Travis