Qubino or Fibaro zWave devices

Hello Guys

As my renovation project starts in its realisation phase, I’m looking for the best hardware to use.
Both, Fibaro and Qubino offers nearly the same product range of dimmers, flushes, rollershutter and RGBW Controllers.
I googled, which of them is better (more reliable, more stable and better supportet by OH2), but I hardly find any usefull information, so I wonder if some of you have have experience with qubino products.
In my flat I use fibaro switches and rollershutters since 2 years without any problems.

Thank you!
Michael

1 Like

Personally I’ve mostly used Fibaro and been happy with them. I have a couple of Qubino devices that also work well although I have a bit more trouble controlling some LED bulbs with the Qubino than Fibaro (the same bulbs are running on both switches and Fibaro controls them fine).

My personal experience is that Fibaro have been more helpful with their support - something I’m personally keen on seeing these days (I like to see companies supporting their products).

I also know Aeon are coming out with some new devices quite soon - I’ve not tried any Aeon switches but I have some samples coming and I’m generally impressed with their kit…

At the end of the day, I suspect they are all much of a muchness when it comes to reliability etc…

Hey @chris

Thank you for your fast response.
Are there any (dis-)advantages from the view of OpenHAB2 (I mean is any manufacturer better supported/implemented)?

Thank you
Michael

Like Chris I’m mostly using Fibaro, but have some Qubino devices as well (Dimmers).

Some bullet pros and cons in my opinion for dimmers.

Qubino
Pros

• Smaller than fibaro which is nice if you don’t have a lot of space where you install it (i.e behind a switch)
  • Works well for me with LEDs
  • Does not require bypass module to dim LEDs
  • Possible to add a temperature sensor (although it’s not working for me in openhab, but could be my sensor that is broken)
  • Has 2 additional inputs, i.e you can attach 2 more switch or buttons to control scenes etc.
  • Easier to hardware reset than fibaro
    Cons
  • Maximum 140W on the dimmer
  • Requires neutral lead wire 3 wire system
  • Not as flexible in terms of configuration as Fibaro (Fibaro has more parameters that can be adjusted)

Fibaro
Pros

• More flexible when it comes to parameters and configuration
  • Can handle load up to 250W
  • Work with a 2 wire setup (i.e if you don’t have the neutral lead wire)
  • Easy to configure with auto-detection of settings, bulbs etc
  • More features for instance burnt out bulb detection
    Cons
  • Need fibaro bypass to handle small LED loads which is another module
  • Is thicker than qubino

Regards, S

Not really. Until a week or so ago I would have said that Fibaro worked better as the Qubino are using a slightly convoluted way to enabled multi-channel responses, but it seems the most recent Fibaro devices are also doing the same thing - so there’s no difference I think between these two as far as support/software goes…

I could add some info on hardware reliability: in 1,5 years of operation, I had one Fibaro device (out of maybe 30) break, but 2 out of 5 Qubino dimmers. I might be biased because I’m really annoyed with the Qubinos because the 2nd one just broke down a week ago. That doesn’t make for a representative comparison, but it happened like that and I doubt there’s enough people to have experiences with both vendors and to report here. Got the Fibaro replaced by Fibaro Poland and the Qubino replaced by the dealer, both rather quick and at no cost (warranty still applied).

Hello Guys

Thanks for your respnses.
In conclusion I’ll go with fibaro, because they look a little bit more stable than qubino (this is also the result from asking my friend google).

regards
Michael