Query Smart Meter through inverter?

Hi,

I’m querying PV inverters using the SunSpec binding and wonder how to retrieve values such as home consumption or grid feed that originate from an inverter-(RS485-)connected smart meter.
Some inverters that come bundled with a smart meter from the same vendor have proprietary modbus registers for this but I’m looking to implement this for the generic case using SunSpec.

Can I create a smart meter sunspec binding thing and point it to the modbus TCP/IP bridge of the inverter ? Or would I need a separate interfac into the meter ?

Has anyone gotten this to work?
Thanks for any enlightenment of mine.

cc @ssalonen @mrbig (sorry right away for pinging you directly)

Not sure I fully understand the question.

My interpretation of your scenario;
You are querying an inverter using Sunspec over TCP/IP.
The inverter has an associated power meter connected over a private bus (which happens to be Modbus).

You can only read the meter so far as the inverter lets you, you can’t force the inverter to act as your gateway to the private bus.

Yeah I am not familiar with the inverters and sunspec in general. Perhaps others have insights to share

I guess ultimately my question is: does anyone know what SunSpec specifies about this ?
Does it specify separate register numbers for the channels that a sunspec meter thing offers ?
Could I request them from the inverter by “masking” the inverter as a meter ? It should recognize requests by the register numbers as being a request to a meter.
I’ve created a meter thing for a test and pointed it to the inverter bridge. It remains in ‘unknown’ state and throws exceptions:

2021-10-13 17:43:41.203 [WARN ] [rt.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl] - Execution of scheduled (5000ms) poll task BasicPollTask [getEndpoint=ModbusIPSlaveEndpoint [address=192.168.178.123, port=1502], request=ModbusReadRequestBlueprint [slaveId=71, functionCode=READ_MULTIPLE_REGISTERS, start=40000, length=61, maxTries=3], getResultCallback()=org.openhab.binding.modbus.sunspec.internal.handler.AbstractSunSpecHandler$$Lambda$1615/0x54584028@17a297f, getFailureCallback()=org.openhab.binding.modbus.sunspec.internal.handler.AbstractSunSpecHandler$$Lambda$1616/0x54581828@115be4a] failed unexpectedly. Ignoring exception, polling again according to poll interval.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Index=122 with type=int32 is out-of-bounds given registers of size 61
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.ModbusBitUtilities.assertIndexAndType(ModbusBitUtilities.java:164) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.ModbusBitUtilities.extractSInt32(ModbusBitUtilities.java:338) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.ModbusBitUtilities.extractStateFromRegisters(ModbusBitUtilities.java:122) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.sunspec.internal.parser.AbstractBaseParser.extractOptionalAcc32(AbstractBaseParser.java:88) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.sunspec.internal.parser.MeterModelParser.parse(MeterModelParser.java:91) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.sunspec.internal.handler.MeterHandler.handlePolledData(MeterHandler.java:56) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Optional.java:183) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.sunspec.internal.handler.AbstractSunSpecHandler.lambda$2(AbstractSunSpecHandler.java:337) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusLibraryWrapper.invokeCallbackWithResponse(ModbusLibraryWrapper.java:333) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl$PollOperation.lambda$1(ModbusManagerImpl.java:216) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.SimpleStopWatch.timeRunnable(SimpleStopWatch.java:152) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl$PollOperation.accept(ModbusManagerImpl.java:216) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl$PollOperation.accept(ModbusManagerImpl.java:1) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl.executeOperation(ModbusManagerImpl.java:614) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl$ModbusCommunicationInterfaceImpl.lambda$1(ModbusManagerImpl.java:812) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

Something wrong with the logical configuration of your Thing.

Have you tried using Sunspec discovery?

1 Like

Odd to see unhandled exception like this. What version of transport and binding?

yes

3.1 release

Quick look at the code indicates that meter thing is configured with the wrong length property, and it will poll too little data because of that, thus parsing of the data fails. I might be mistaken of course, I am not familiar with the device intricacies.

Discovery should handle this automatically I presume. Have you used manual thing configuration?

Yes. ‘Scan’ only offers the inverter so I had to force it to be a meter. So it seems the inverter doesn’t like that. But that should not result in an exception either, should it.

I think this comes back to

Do you need to configure the inverter for meter support?

No it’s configured. I can actually read the meter value(s) via proprietary registers.

If you disclose what those are we might be able to set up a Thing with it …

From my sunnyboy experience in one installation (where sunspec didnt fly very well) I can tell you that if inverter does anything then it is a fairly basic math with time coordination.

1. From meter you have import and export - both power and energy.
  2. Building consumption can be estimated through (grid import + (inverter production - grid export)).
  3. Same rule apply for power and energy.

You definitelly can have better results if you retrieve calculations from inverter which might do some data alignment. I saw cases where different polling/reporting cycles resulted in negative building power consumption. :slight_smile:

Anyhow - look if your inverter can report meter read outs. I found rhat sunspec had many optional parts which differ from one manufacturer to other.

The sunspec specification uses “pages” or “block” to collect report data. Each device is free to decide what to implement. There is a discovery method built into the specification, so one can start from the beginning, read and identify all the blocks exported, and skip those that are not understood by the reader.

Our sunspec implementation in OH does this too. If you turn on auto discovery on the modbus bridge, and your device exports any of the known blocks, then they will show up in the auto discovery as things that you can use.

If however the meter type does not show up, it is very likely that it is not supported by your device, or uses a proprietary/newer block type than what is implemented at the moment.

If you turn on logging for the modbus package you could see the autodiscovery iterating through the block types found, this could be an indication of what is happening.

The manual setup is there for a last resort. Use this only, if you’re pretty sure that there is a block that matches the one we’re looking for, but for whatever reason autodiscovery did not found it. But it’s really a “hackers tool”, and not for everyday use.

2 Likes