Raspberri Pi 2

The Raspberry Pi 1 was not working with my AEON Labs USB stick, Maybe because I am not a linux expert, anyway, the new Raspberry Pi 2 seems that has enough power to run it. Isn’t it?

Low voltage consumption, 4 USB, yes it doesn’t have wifi, but you can add a wifi usb stick which works well, slow but well.

I’m not sure about the AEON Labs z-wave stick, but I can confirm OpenHAB runs just fine on the Raspberry Pi 1 and 2. My main openhab installation is on a rpi1 with one of these for z-wave: http://razberry.z-wave.me/

Aeon Labs sticks works with Raspberry Pi 2, I use both a z-stick and wifi adapter together in the Pi 2.

I had a raspberry pi 1 with a aeon zwave stick. Never had troubles
Did you Just buy this, maybe New version?

Also confirming AEON Z-stick and Pi 2 works like a charm.

I’m running RPI 1 with Archlinux and AEON Labs Zwave-stick for 1 or 2 years now. I don’t see a reason why the RPI 2 would be different. Linux just sees it as a serial port. Sometimes I have a slight delay in responsiveness, but I never investigated it. Maybe with RPI 2 it will be gone. (could also be the slow serial interface or Z-Wave stack which introduces it)

I find the AEON a bit “bulky” and expensive for 10$ of hardware. If it would be a well manufactured product (like the fibaro dimmers) I don’t mind spending > 50 euro’s on it but it’s nothing special. Did anyone ever try this cheaper z-wave.me stick?

I have been running OpenHAB 2 on a Pi B+, and now on a Pi 2. The Pi 2 is notably faster with more cpus and more memory. Both have run with multiple Aeon Labs Z stick S2s.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

I can’t get my openHAB installation to see my Z-stick gen5 that is plugged into my Raspberry Pi 2? What port did you use? I’ve tried these: “/dev/ttyS0” or “/dev/ttyUSB0” and “/dev/ttyACM” and “/dev/ttyACM0”.

pi2 with rasbian is showing up at /dev/ttyUSB0. Try doing ls -la /dev/tty* and see what you get back.

Well I got back a very long list of tty* folders but none of them seem to indicate that there is anything plugged into / feeding data to them. Is there something I am supposed to be looking for? Wait, interestingly, there is no ttyUSB listed at all?

To make sure we are talking apples to apples run this from a shell prompt:

uname -a

it should return something like this:

Linux raspberrypi 4.1.7-v7+ #817 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 19 15:32:00 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

paste that in here, and also paste the output of:

ls -l /dev/serial/by-id/

It is …ACM . Did you add your runas username for OH to the dialout group ?

Adding openhab user to dialout and setting the port to ACM0 worked. Thanks guys!!

@benny_renkens: I’m using the z-wave.me usb stick with OpenHAB running on a RPi 2. No Problems at all.

Hi all,

The wiki says there are major issues?

Have any of you seen this?

NOTE There have been issues with the zwave binding on the RPi. Refer to the z-wave binding for more information

Known Issues

There seems to be an issue with the binding running on the latest oracle VM Beta, on ARM based architectures (e.g. raspberry PI). It manifests itself as messages being received multiple times and causes considerable problems with the operation of the binding. In large networks, the queue can get extremely long, which can delay initialisation considerably and cause potentially long delays in sending messages. Some time has been spent investigating this issue and a solution has not been found - the issue doesn’t appear to be with the binding itself as the problem doesn’t manifest itself on an other platform. If anyone with the hardware and programming experience can help with this it would be useful (add information to https://github.com/openhab/openhab/issues/1564).

Never seen this after over a year running multiple Pi 2 installations

it says the latest Oracle VM beta - might imply that you’d actually need to install the new beta for it to have issues? On the other hand, perhaps they’re detecting it and trying to resolve it in beta because when the new release is out an upgrade && update would break it for most people?

I’m looking to get a ZWave Stick as well - hope this isn’t a deal-breaker…