Raspberry Pi 3 Model B for openHAB 3.0

Hello,

Does anybody has some experience using a RPi 3B for openHAB3? Is this one still sufficient in terms of performance or is a RPi 4 mandatory for openHAB3. Thanks!

It works, it’s a bit slow in the ui. If you already have a rpi3 that you want to run on, go for it. If you are buying a new get an rpi 4.

I use a Pi 3B+ for testing. I think it it currently running OH2 and OH3 in Docker so it should work ok at some lev. I agree if buying new, buy a 4 with 2GB of RAM.

HI I had a raspberry pi 3b running 2.5 and have recently upgraded to OH3. All worked fine but I had a power outage that corrupted the SD card and reset all my tasmota devices. It was a nightmare to get back and as it controlled the heating and all the lights. The WAF ( wife acceptablilty factor ) was rapidly diminished. This was because the house power clicked on and off many times in succession during the night. I did not realsie that there was a setting in the Tasmota devices that allowed then to rest to factor on rapid power cycling!. That is fixed now.
For the WAF improvements I have now fitted a UPS and added a second Pi B that I had lying around and switched both to boot off SSD drives removing the SD cards completely. It now has 1 dedicated to openhab and the other runs the MQTT server, and Graphana and Influx db. This also allows me to use the backup system on one to back up to the other. Real belts and braces but increasing the WAF was a imperative! It is now up for 100+ days and has survived a couple of power events.

1 Like

Glad to hear that you got this all figured out (though your post is a little off topic from the conversation above). Personally, I prefer “family acceptability factor (FAF)” over “wife”. :wink:

For future readers who are using the openHABian image on an RPi, it’s far more important to get a UPS than an SSD. As long as you eliminate sudden power failures, an SD card can last for a very long time thanks to the ZRAM feature that minimizes wear on the card.

Note that I have nothing against SSDs. I just mean that if someone is debating between the effort/costs to implement, there’s more benefit to a UPS. Again, this only applies if you’re using openHABian and have ZRAM enabled (which is the default).

Does the image support using trigger signals from the UPs to power down cleanly if capacity gets too low? If not, running Linux might be a safer option.

I use Network UPS Tools for that. Works great.

1 Like