Raspberry Pi 3 with zigbee (RaspBee) in Europe

Hi everyone,
i am very new to openHAB 2 and to the community here.
I have googled around but could not find any answer to my question.

I am trying to get a zigbee controller running on my PI.
Since i am pretty noob to OH and Linux in general, i was wondering if there is a complete (beginners) guide on how to do it.
What i have done so far is:
Got OH2 running on a Raspberry PI 3
Bought a RaspBee from Dresden Elektronik
Installed the zigbee binding.
Tried to connect to a xiaomi motion sensor, but couldnt find it.

If there is no guide, my question are:

• how do i install that RaspBee or
  • if there are no drivers available: How do i install a supported device and which one is working in europe?)
  • how do i get the device running on the zigbee binding?
  • Since im linux noob: Is it possible to run Windows 7/10 (i.e. on a Tablet or Pi) + OpenHab 2 + a zigbee hardware (which one?) ?

Thank you in advance guys

This probably doesn’t help as it seems you have probably already purchased the RaspBee, but in case it helps others, it’s worth looking at this -:

@curlyel : You are right, but your posts only answers a part of my questions.
@chris: thx for the hint. Those device are interesting. if only i knew them before :wink:

Any more ideas for the rest of my questions?

There might be an option though using your Raspbee … :wink:

Never tried myself, but some users reported, that the “Deconz”-software from Dresden Electronic can mimic a HUE bridge. So the HUE binding can be used.

Just search the forum for Deconz/HUE/Conbee/Raspbee, e.g:

For sure: Since you have to deal with another piece of software, it’s not as simple as directly using @chris 's ZigBEE binding with a supported dongle. And there is still some hope, that Chris or other contributors get the remaining issues with the Conbee support sorted :wink:

And yes: I assume you’ve already found the readme of the Zigbee binding :wink:

Yes, I should have another look at this when I get some time. It is mostly working I think, but not stable (probably just thread-sync issues)… I just need to find some time :wink:

@curlyel Thanks for the hint about the HUE bridge. I will give that a try.
@chris we all know the problem with time vs things to do :stuck_out_tongue:

Any ideas about the last Question?:
Is it possible to run openhab on a raspberry pi with windows 10 (IOT?)

I personally don’t know - sorry. My guess is, even if it might be possible, it would be slow, and you’d probably be better off with running a Linux system (but I could be wrong :wink: ).

Hi @tropisch,
warning: Long post :wink:

I guess, you’ll get more support here when using Raspbian Linux or openHABian on the Pi. So I would recommend one of these.

And … sound like you try to avoid Linux/Rasbian/… since your are more familiar with Windows probably? Sorry if I’m wrong here :wink:

But if so, you can start with something without touching Linux command line at all - at least for the first steps. Maybe, it’s worth trying:

Dresden Electronic offers a customized Rasbian image fully preconfigured with their DeCONZ software:

https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/funktechnik/solutions/wireless-light-control/raspbee-gw-sd-card-image/

Just write it to a 8GB sd card, put it in your Rpi and power it on. You don’t even need to connect a keyboard nor monitor. Just power it on and hook it to your network. You’ll we able to connect to it via any web browser. Just follow the instructions in:

https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/fileadmin/Downloads/Produkte/9-FLS/WirelessLightControl-QSG-dt.pdf

Few post above I wrote:

Well, that’s not true anymore. Meanwhile I gave it a try. :wink:
I was curious to see if it works. And yes it does!

Here are some screenshots, how to connect to Raspbee via Deconz til the native support by @chris’s Zigbee binding is merged.

So let’s start:

(assuming, you have installed Raspbee/Deconz as written above and have a openHAB instance running somewhere else)

Attach some light(s) to the Deconz. Check, if you can control your lights from within this web app:

Install the HUE binding via the PaperUI and go to the inbox → “+” → HUE Binding → add manually:

Select a “HUE Bridge” to be added. (a genuine HUE bridge will be discovered automatically, but the Deconz-HUE must be configured manually).

Before proceeding, go back to your Deconz window and click in the Gateway → Advanced configuration → Authenticate app. This does the same as pressing the connect button a real HUE bridge:

Back to the PaperUI - Now put the Ip address of your Deconz gateway in and click on blue o.k. button:

Your gateway should now getting connected and the attached lights will be discovered immediately:

Click on the blue o.k. button(s) to finally add the lights to your list of things. You’re done!
If all went right, you’ll be able to control your lights from openHAB:

I have to admit, I won’t recommend this to somebody who is asking which stuff to buy. This does more or less the same as a genuine HUE bridge or probably any other Zigbee bridge which can be controlled from openHAB (Osram Lightify, IKEA tradfri). Building an own bridge similar to it is likely waste of money.

But if one already has a Rpi and a Rasbee/Conbee this can be an option to make use of it until the native support of the Raspbee is there :wink:

Ah yes, forgot to mention: There is a normal Raspbian-Linux on your gateway. So you can start tinkering with it if you like, install additional software, check out the cli etc. to get more familiar with Linux (if required as I said at the very top) :wink:

3 Likes

Holy cow! What a nice post!
Thank you very much curlyel!
I will give it a try at the weekend (hopefully).

Hi guys,

Just started out with OpenHAB and I bought the ConBee dongle, of course without seeing this post :frowning:

Any news on making it work without the Deconz software? I actually have a few Pi’s lying around, but I really wanted this to run directly on my server.

-Fidomuh

At the moment this is not available.

Damn. I saw the link to mouser for the telegesis one. I guess I’ll order that one then :slight_smile:

Hi @chris, I apologize in advance for the quetion because it is surely for you the hundredth questions on this subject but the zigate or raspbee are operational on openhab?

I’m not really familiar with ZiGate, so can’t really comment. The RaspBee doesn’t currently work with the ZigBee binding, but it can be run with the DeConz binding (I’m afraid I don’t know anything about this though).

There are other dongles available that will work fine with the RPi for ZigBee with the ZigBee binding. The documentation for the ZigBee binding has some information on dongles that are supported.

Do you plan the support for the Raspbee in nearly future? I don’t like the way with phoscon.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time to work on the ConBee/RaspBee boards as I’m too busy with the general ZigBee support using the other interfaces. Unless someone fancies trying to resolve this, unfortunately it won’t be something I can work on in the near future.

1 Like

I have a question wrt. hue bridge configuration and username (states like “name of a registered Hue bridge user, that allows to access the API.”). Where and how do I create a user as I have tried writing anything but that does cause error message “Authentication failed. Remove user name from configuration to generate a new one.”
What is port number of a hue bridge, the one that phoscon app uses being 8080, openhub 80 or something else?

Don’t know how to help here, probably missing some details about your setup and the issue you’re experiencing…