Reaction Speeds

Just installed OH2 and I’m starting to move my devices over from Smartthings. Just done 8 bulbs in the kitchen, added them to a group and got Alexa working so I’m happy so far.

The problem I have is speed. I thought the whole idea of running everything locally was that it would react instantly. I’m using a Pi 4 with an Xbee USB stick. I just watched the logs when I switched the group off. From the command being sent to the last light going off was 33 seconds.

Even a single light using the PaperUI Control page took 12 seconds to turn the light on.

It’s random. Turning the same light off again was near instantaneous.

Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

Welcome.

What binding are you using?
Version of openHAB?
Version of Java?
OS?

1 Like

I just downloaded the latest image from the OH site on Sunday morning so it should all be up to date - I’m not sure how to find the version numbers at the moment. I’ve using the Zigbee binding to detect the Things, then creating the items and linking them to the different channels manually.

OK That’s fair enough.
I do not use the Zigbee binding myself but we have an excellent dedicated developer. I will tag this thread for you.

It is usually recommended to discover the Things and add through the UI rather than use files for Things wherever possible.Thing file entries are especially error prone.

Items & Rules in files are OK and preferred by many of us.

Thank you. I’m doing everything through the UI, but I have switched off the “Simple mode” thing.

1 Like

Just a thought but are you getting these random times after editing the rules files?

If so, the rules reload after an edit and this can take some time.

No, I haven’t started in the rules yet. I’m adding more devices at the moment. The kitchen is as far away from the Pi as you can get in this house and through a brick wall. I’ve now added 2 more lights which roughly cut that distance into 1/3 and 2/3. Be interesting to see if that improves things!

If you had simple mode on before then you may have duplicate links/items that are hanging around and causing slow response. You can check for duplicate links in /var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLink.json and items in /var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.items.Item.json. If you find duplicates stop OH, use text editor and remove them then restart OH. You may need to clean the cache and restart a few times for everything to begin working.

1 Like