Receiving notifications via openHAB Cloud not originating from my installation

Thanks guys. It happened again two times this afternoon. In the notification area of the app I only see the connect messages, nothing else. And these are really old.

And now right after going to bed:

That is creepy :slight_smile: good night

Hi,

today I have also received multiple push messages on the Android app definitely not originating from my system. In the notification area of the app I only see very old connect messages (from February), just as kovu94 described.

@digitaldan Is this issue still ongoing? If you need more info to be able to troubleshoot, please let me know.

Thanks & regards,
Matt

Similar problem here: i receive notification on a different openhab mobile. I have one iphone configured for openhab home installation, and on openhab test at work with samsung mobile device. When something happen to home i receive notification on my samsung device. I can suppose notification mistakes usernames similar?

For everybody experiencing this, there is already a gihub issue for this:

Today i received this notification. Its not created by my openhab. The issue is closed. Can someone have a eye on it again? Screenshot_20190318-123023~(1)|690x244

I had a similar happening today where I received a notification not originating from my installation in a foreign language (føler 2 har det pisse varmt / “Sensor 2 is piss hot”).

At the time I didnt know was happening (security breach?) and shutdown my RPi. The myopenhab-portal doesnt show the particular message in the archives. When at home I will bootup and have a look at the local logs, but based on the above I dont expect to find anything.

Edit: layout

I will take a look. Good news is its not a security breach, nor does it allow access to your openHAB. There was an issue in the past where the wrong Android/IOS push notification key was stored for a user under high load, resulting in messages going to another device. I will see if this has had a regression.

1 Like

Just to add to this, at 5:00pm in place of my regular notification signalling the start of a timer, I received something in different language.

Achtung Fredi ROLLO hoch!

instead of

Timer 3: airconditioner OFF rule is running.

This happened yesterday as well however I accidentally cleared the contents. I do remember it also was in place of a scheduled notification so from my perspective somehow the usual notification is being replaced with some other contents.

Thanks for investigating

No, not the message is replaced, the server is mixing up which message to send WHERE. The issue is looked on and it is NOT a security breach.

Not sure if this is still happening for anyone else, but it’s happened three times for me between yesterday and today.

It happened also to me 8h ago, I received a push notification in deutsch language while my settings is italian. Also I’m not able to reach myopenhab cloud service.

The “false notifications” problem is being looked on.
What do you mean “can’t reach the myopenhab” service?
Unable to log into myopenhab.org website
The app (iOS or android) can’t connect remotely (I.e. through myopenhab.org)
Both are unrelated to the notification problem.
The Status page doesn’t report any issue today!

Yesterday and today it happens again.

Same for me, still unable to access to:

I noticed this as well, all the connection problems you’ve described. According to the event log on myopenhab, my openHAB installation was reporting online (but never offlne!) several times per minute(!). @digitaldan Might this problem have caused the high loads on the openHAB cloud servers to trigger the ‘notification from somebody else’s system’ abnormality? I received one of those 2 days ago. The connection problems disappeared after a restart of openHAB on my side.

Thanks for the suggestion @DutchTaurus, it was fine also for me to restart openhab, connection issues have been solved.

Dan, I just received another notification on Android that didn’t originate from my system. It shows up in the Android notification area, but when I click it, the openHAB notification center opens up but the message isn’t there?! You are still looking into it this issue?

I just deployed what i’m hoping is a fix. There was a variable that was accidentally scoped globally that could have caused messages to go to the wrong device if a push notification was sent at the same time on the same server by different users. myopenHAB is slowly coming back after the upgrade.

5 Likes

Ah ha! So this is why I can’t control anything via the cloud? (Socket IO Error)

Status page says all green.

I’m hoping so too! :crossed_fingers:

Got a random message in German yesterday that said “Clarice is here”. Didn’t creep me out at all. :lying_face:

After remembering that the notification came from the cloud, I checked the notification log and found no trace of Clarice. Soon after that I stumbled upon this thread and was very relieved to read your message.