Recommendation video door bell?

I would position the camera a bit lower to get a clear view. Now I constantly record the camera feed with an external NVR, but my plan is to use the IPCamera binding to send a screenshot with the Telegram notification in the future. I just have to migrate Openhab from my Raspberry to quicker hardware before that. But the IPCamera binding has a feature to capture jpeg files which can be send by the telegram binding. I tested this a while ago and it works. I just need to combine all the tests to one solution.
Thus far the solution with the Shelly runs stable for the last 5 months. Reasons why I made this: No cloud subscriptions, no external company’s to decide the solution is no longer supported and the sport to get it to work.

I used this wiring diagram as example. The Shelly is connected to a 12v DC adapter. The chime can run any voltage needed (not just the 8v shown in the picture).

3 Likes

Have you tried to narrow this down as to why or tried different firmware versions? Is it possible that the person did not press the button, but instead pressed the cameras lens? That is a common issue that people see the black lens and push on it instead of the button even when the button has a bright LED ring around it.

I have also noticed that many people do not press the bell and not sure if this is they don’t like the idea of a photo or video of them being taken so they opt to knock on the door.

Yes that is a good idea, delivery people often wear baseball caps that hide their face from cameras mounted up high. Also its a general rule that to clearly ID a persons face the camera has to be very CLOSE and you loose distance the further up the wall you mount them. A balance between someone damaging the camera VS actually getting usual footage to ID a person needs to be considered.

A lot of the API cameras made by Dahua/Amcrest and Hikvision can do the same thing by using their Alarm input and output terminals. You could save money by choosing a camera with these terminals instead of using a shelly.

You can create a rule that triggers on the ring event (protect binding) and then play a custom url on sonos (sonos binding).

/s

I have a Doorbird D101S (the cheapest one, although still not cheap
) and it’s a great product, in my opinion. As others have said above, it meets your requirements.

Also, apologies if I missed it, but with the Doorbird you can absolutely still use your legacy / traditional ‘ding-dong’ door chime. I have mine connected and it works great.

Regarding the ‘no-cloud’ thing, the DoorBird app has a LAN-only option, which means your DoorBird will only talk to your LAN. As @dalgwen said, it’s an ONVIF camera, so it’s readily supported by whatever. I use the Cloud connection myself, and have found it decent, and I have (very) bad internet.

The camera is pretty decent, and night mode is pretty good too. It’s definitely not as good as a high-res security camera, but you can easily make out who’s at the door.

So to summarize:

1. No issues that I’m aware of (although I guess I wouldn’t be aware
)
  2. Use whatever. I use my Synology NAS, but it’ll work with most things without issue.
  3. Not necessary, but I do use it.
  4. You can absolutely do this, and it works perfectly.
  5. Seems fine. My ReoLink cameras are better, but the image is fine. Higher versions may have better cameras also.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I guess this includes WLAN? Just want to be sure. ^^

Yep, it does include WLAN.

That said, the Doorbird that I have needs a power supply, and PoE is a very convenient option. You can also do 15VDC and connect via WiFi though.

I agonized a long time about doorbells (including buying and returning Ubiquiti’s doorbell because I didn’t like it), but in the end I just decided to stomach the premium price of the Doorbird because everything else either was:

• Reliant on the cloud to work
  • Didn’t have a gate/door open channel
  • Had inaudibly quiet speakers
  • Needed WiFi instead of a wired connection
  • Didn’t have keypad

Although this isn’t exactly your usecase, for me these requirements basically eliminate all the basic “smart” doorbells (they seem to be designed for American suburban houses).

So, I bought the Doorbird, and we couldn’t be happier.

• We can talk to deliverypeople over the phone app and buzz them in the gate.

• We can set temporary access codes for guests and Airbnb people so we don’t need to distribute gate keys and can have said access codes expire after a certain date.

• Camera video quality and angle is good enough to clearly idenify people (and see delivery vehicles if present)

It’s also very fast and responsive–I don’t have a chime connected directly to it but rather a couple of cheapo 220V chimes that are actuated by shelly modules spread around the house and even in the garden. When someone presses the doorbell button, it dings near-instantly and because it’s an OH rule that makes this happen, it’s trivial to “mute” the doorbell when it’s time for a nap or similar.

Here my code for those interested:

// rule for DoorBird - chimes

//The rule that makes the gong go gong
rule "Doorbird Home Gongs"
when
    Channel "doorbird:d210x:4d05a822:doorbell" triggered PRESSED
then
    //Check if the doorbell is muted!
    if(Mute_Gong.state == OFF){
        logInfo("Doorbird Home doorbell", "Ding-Dong!")
        ShellyDoorbellGong1_Relay.sendCommand(ON)
        ShellyDoorbellGong2_Relay.sendCommand(ON)
        ShellyDoorbellGong3_Relay.sendCommand(ON)
        Thread::sleep(500) //Wait time in milliseconds
        ShellyDoorbellGong1_Relay.sendCommand(OFF)
        ShellyDoorbellGong2_Relay.sendCommand(OFF)
        ShellyDoorbellGong3_Relay.sendCommand(OFF)
    }else{
        logInfo("Doorbird Hofreite doorbell", "Muted doorbell press")
    }

end

rule "Doorbird Guest Doorbell Gong"
when
    Channel "doorbird:d210x:f2dd5b58:doorbell" triggered PRESSED
then
    logInfo("Doorbird Guest doorbell", "Ding-Dong!")
    ShellyApartmentDoorbellGong1_Relay.sendCommand(ON)
    Thread::sleep(500) //Wait time in milliseconds
    ShellyApartmentDoorbellGong1_Relay.sendCommand(OFF)

end

//The rule which starts the mute
rule "Start Gong Mute"
when
    Item Mute_Gong changed to ON
then
    Mute_Gong_Timer.sendCommand(60)
end

//The rule which counts down minutes (by being triggered once per minute)
rule "Count down Gong"
when
    Time cron "0 0/1 * * * ?"
then
    if(Mute_Gong_Timer.state > 0){
        val int newValue = Mute_Gong_Timer.state as Number - 1
        Mute_Gong_Timer.sendCommand(newValue)
    }else{
        Mute_Gong.sendCommand(OFF)
    }
end

//The rule which adjusts the string item
rule "Gong adjust text"
when
    Item Mute_Gong_Timer received update or
    Item Mute_Gong received update
then
    if(Mute_Gong.state == ON){
        if(Mute_Gong_Timer.state != 1){
            Mute_Gong_Text.sendCommand("Gong muted for " + Mute_Gong_Timer.state.toString + " more minutes")
        }else{
            Mute_Gong_Text.sendCommand("Gong muted for " + Mute_Gong_Timer.state.toString + " more minute")
        }
    }else{
        Mute_Gong_Text.sendCommand("The gong is active")
    }
end
3 Likes

Brilliant! Then I will go with the Doorbird soon and do my own experiences. Thanks a lot for the contribution here!

Just a heads up that Doorbird is limited to only 1 stream open at a time, unless they have changed it. 1 can be a bit limiting where other brands can do 20 connections at a time. There is no perfect doorbell that has it all, so choose what suits your needs after hearing what limitations each one has.

@LORDUDE can you go into any detail about how you fully integrated the AD410? I recently purchased one and like it a lot. I have it connected to blue iris with no problem and also am using the IP Camera OH binding to get snapshots every few seconds. However what I would really like to do is get an event triggered when the doorbell is pushed? Have you integrated the doorbell button, and if so, what settings do you use. I am fine doing it through Openhab alone or through an event in Blueiris that I MQTT to openhab.

@stagf15 I was able to get the image (snapshot) and motion detector using the camera binding. I have not been able to integrate the doorbell yet, I’ve been thinking about this but i have not had time to play with it. I do like the camera doorbell a lot, my only complain is that after couple weeks there is a delay between pressing the doorbell and the actual sound inside the house, i have been rebooting the doorbell about once per week to avoid this issue. If i find something i will post it here.