Recommendations for my OpenHAB system

I am trying to build an OpenHAB system to control the heating in my home. It will run on a Raspberry Pi 4B. I need to add various capabilities.

1. I need to add Zigbee to read the values of several Tuya temperature and humidity sensors in different zones of my house, and to control 19 Tuya radiator actuators. Ideally I should not require the Tuya WiFi to Zigbee gateway. What Zigbee USB stick (or other interface) should I buy? Do I need to add Zigbee2MQTT to my system, or does OH3 already have what’s necessary?
  2. I also need to interface to some OneWire temperature sensors (DS18B20) and some other OneWire devices. I understand that I can do this with software only using an IO pin on the Raspberry PI. Is this correct?
  3. I want to monitor the level of oil in my tank, which is fitted with an Apollo oil level monitor. To do this I think that I need to add a Software Defined Radio USB stick, and a copy of rtl_433 software, which has the necessary decoder for the Apollo. Which SDR stick should I buy? Is there anything else I need to get this to work?

Thanks for any advice you can give of the best way to build this system.

Rowan

Hey Rowan,

I use Sonoff zigbee temp sensors with my set up with a zigbee usb stick and they work really well for the cost. I have a thermostat that reads temperature and have a second zigbee temp sensor on the opposite side of the room that is also reading the room temp, I then have a rule that takes both temps and will give you an average room temp. I’m using a raspberry pi with openhabian running on it and haven’t had any issues yet. I actually use Alexa to control all of the heating routines as its easier to change them on my phone, for example, I turn off all of the downstairs heating at 10 pm and only have the heating running in the bedrooms, then at 7 am I turn off the bedroom heating and only have the heating running downstairs. I’m hoping that this is a more efficient way of heating my home and think it’s great to not be able to heat a room if it’s not in use. I’m more than happy to share my items, things, and rules. Basically you need to create a set-point, when a room temperature goes below 21c turn on the actuator, it’s quite easy. I’m no coding expert and just copy and paste everyone else’s hard work. Once you get your head around OH it’s quite easy. Check out a post on here called Boilerplate

Cheers
Matt

I probably wouldn’t mess around with your heating until the spring in case you break it. Get it all set up and working over the warmer months ready for next winter.

For the OneWire interface there seem to be two options:

1. Use a GPIO pin.
  2. Use a DS9490R USB to OneWire stick.

Please can you identify the pros and cons of each approach?

Thanks - Rowan

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.