Release Candidate and Support: Amazon Echo Control Binding

Correct.

Here you go. Keep in mind that Amazon has just started to roll out that feature to everyone, so you may not have it yet on your account. If you do, you should see an option in your settings. Once enabled, it will appear in your device list and you can toggle the presence mode by tapping on it.

AFAIK, this is not yet available in the web app
 just mobile. I was excited to try it out, but apparently the gen2 dots are not supported (yet :crossed_fingers:).

I only have Echo Gen2 Dots in my house and I didn’t have any problem enabling the Guard feature.

Enabling guard wasn’t a problem. Enabling glass break and smoke/co2 was unavailable with our gen2 dots.

Hi @michi.

To save you some time. I think i found the issue !

On my ibroker install — here is the output in json whenever i say something to an echo -
IF it is the good one you get a ‘‘SUCCES’’ on the ‘‘status’’ entry.
If it is not the good one you will get a “DISCARDED_NON_DEVICE_DIRECTED_INTENT” on the ‘‘status’’ entry.

{“name”:“LvRoom 2”,“serialNumber”:“GxxxxxxxxxxxxxxGE”,“summary”:“what’s up”,“creationTime”:1557887919955,“status”:“SUCCESS”,“domainApplicationId”:"",“domainApplicationName”:"",“cardContent”:"",“card”:""}

{“name”:“LvRoom 2”,“serialNumber”:“GxxxxxxxxxxxxxxGE”,“summary”:“what’s up”,“creationTime”:1557887980360,“status”:“DISCARDED_NON_DEVICE_DIRECTED_INTENT”,“domainApplicationId”:"",“domainApplicationName”:"",“cardContent”:"",“card”:""}

Thank you, that really help saving time. I will handle this and sent you a beta today evening. But I will only filter out this kind of error, because I assume that handling of other errors make sense to do in OH

1 Like

Yes ! in this exemple. I got a ‘‘FAULT’’ . That means it was the good alexa ( ‘‘SUCESS’’). But the alexa web page cannot sync it with any Routine or internal command.

{“name”:“LvRoom 2”,“serialNumber”:“GxxxxxxxxxxxxxxGE”,“summary”:“turn on ceiling in five second”,“creationTime”:1557899137901,“status”:“FAULT”,“domainApplicationId”:"",“domainApplicationName”:"",“cardContent”:"",“card”:""}.

but this cannot be filtered out.
Like you said , i think , it is better to only filter out the message when it is status”:“DISCARDED_NON_DEVICE_DIRECTED_INTENT”

Also, filtering summary”:“simons says*
 is necessary for this channel
 But i think you already did this !

Hi, I have managed to put multiple echos in one group for TTS which is working ok. Not really synchronous, but for my purposes it is ok. I was wondering if it is also possible to put alarms into groups. What I want to achieve is, if e.g. a smoke detector is triggered (I have zigbee2mqtt running) then I would like to play also alarmsounds in the whole house. I already tried to put alarms into a group, however it does not work as it does with TTS. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi Matthieu,

Please try this beta preview: Dropbox - org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol_2.5.0.Beta_9_Preview_1.jar - Simplify your life

Best,
Michael

1 Like

Hi @michi,

This works perfectly! ( on a fresh install).
Just replacing the jar file didn’t work. But clearing the cache and tmp folder + registering again to amazon with the beta preview did the trick :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot !

Matthieu

I got a error for all my Echo Dots Generation 3. If i try to send an TTS to them i got the following back in my logs:

2019-05-20 16:13:55.056 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method ‘ThingHandler.handleCommand()’ on ‘org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler@18dc2d8’: POST url ‘https://alexa.amazon.de/api/behaviors/preview’ failed: Bad Request

org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.HttpException: POST url ‘https://alexa.amazon.de/api/behaviors/preview’ failed: Bad Request

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.makeRequest(Connection.java:634) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceNode(Connection.java:1185) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceCommand(Connection.java:1170) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceCommandWithVolume(Connection.java:1161) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.textToSpeech(Connection.java:1134) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler.startTextToSpeech(EchoHandler.java:743) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler.handleCommand(EchoHandler.java:591) ~[?:?]

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor249.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.InvocationHandlerSync.invoke(InvocationHandlerSync.java:59) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy206.handleCommand(Unknown Source) [249:org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol:2.4.0.Beta_8]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.ProfileCallbackImpl.handleCommand(ProfileCallbackImpl.java:75) [109:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.oh240]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.SystemDefaultProfile.onCommandFromItem(SystemDefaultProfile.java:49) [109:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.oh240]

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor136.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

2019-05-20 16:13:55.331 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method ‘ThingHandler.handleCommand()’ on ‘org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler@1f6f771’: POST url ‘https://alexa.amazon.de/api/behaviors/preview’ failed: Bad Request

org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.HttpException: POST url ‘https://alexa.amazon.de/api/behaviors/preview’ failed: Bad Request

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.makeRequest(Connection.java:634) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceNode(Connection.java:1185) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceCommand(Connection.java:1170) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceCommandWithVolume(Connection.java:1161) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.textToSpeech(Connection.java:1134) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler.startTextToSpeech(EchoHandler.java:743) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler.handleCommand(EchoHandler.java:591) ~[?:?]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.InvocationHandlerSync.invoke(InvocationHandlerSync.java:59) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]

at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy206.handleCommand(Unknown Source) [249:org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol:2.4.0.Beta_8]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.ProfileCallbackImpl.handleCommand(ProfileCallbackImpl.java:75) [109:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.oh240]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.SystemDefaultProfile.onCommandFromItem(SystemDefaultProfile.java:49) [109:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.oh240]

at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]

2019-05-20 16:13:55.500 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method ‘ThingHandler.handleCommand()’ on ‘org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler@128da5d’: POST url ‘https://alexa.amazon.de/api/behaviors/preview’ failed: Bad Request

Is there a solution, as already mention from @mwaechtl in Post https://community.openhab.org/t/released-openhab2-amazon-echo-control-binding-controlling-alexa-from-openhab2/37844/1703

I love what you did with for Alexa. This a great binding! I use it to do additional actions when setting/executing an alarm. For me the one big missing thing is deactivating the alarm (for example when I am not at home or when I want to disable it from the rule).
If I understood the mechanics right, the binding should be able to do everything which you could do in the webapp. Is there a practical problem why this is not possible yet or did you just not implement it?

Thanks!

Congrats @michi on a great binding, thanks for all the hard work.

Just wrote a small transform script to convert seconds to [hours:]minutes:seconds in case anyone is interested.

secsFomat.js:

(function(secs) {
// Convert Seconds to [Hours:]Minutes:Seconds.
var hrs = '';
var mins = '';
// Calculate Values.
        if(secs >= 3600) hrs = Math.floor(secs/3600);
        mins = Math.floor(secs/60);
        secs = secs%60;
// Conditinal Formatting.
        if(secs < 10) secs = "0" + secs;
        if(hrs > 0) {
                if(mins < 10) mins = "0" + mins;
                return +hrs + ":" + mins + ":" + secs;
        } else {
                return +mins + ":" + secs;
        }
})(input)

Relevant items:

Number:Time echoDot1_MediaTime   "Media Progress Time [JS(secsFomat.js):%d]"    <clock_on>      (echoDot)       {channel="amazonechocontrol:echo:account1:echodot1:mediaProgressTime"}
Number:Time echoDot1_MediaLength "Media Length [JS(secsFomat.js):%d]"           <clock_on>      (echoDot)       {channel="amazonechocontrol:echo:account1:echodot1:mediaLength"}

One thing I wanted to ask, when I listen to Spotify ‘subtitle1’ is populated by the artist’s name, and ‘subtitle2’ by my playlist name. There’s no album name mentioned, is there a way to get this info? The spotify binding for instance has this info.

Hi Michi,
with the beta 8 there is a Problem with the announcing channel on echo spot. the announcement is arriving at the device, but the announcement text was not displayed. with the beta 6 it’s still working.

Do you still know this Problem?

ralph

Just a quick question about the latest version of the jar file :

org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol_2.5.0.Beta_8.jar

After installing I noticed it reports as 2.4.0.Beta_8.

openhab-cli console
bundle:list -s | grep -i amazon

Grep returns

166 x Active x 80 x 2.4.0.Beta_8 x org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol

Just thought it was worth a mention. I don’t really know much about jar files but perhaps the internal description is wrong ?

Cheers,
Karl.

With iobroker , i can send a ‘’stop’’ command . So a believe it would be possible yes

I can’t get groups to work. I have a rule as follows:

rule "Drying Clothes Mode ON"
when
    Member of gEchoLastVoiceCommand changed to "start dry mode"
then
    logInfo("MyRules", vDryingClothes.state)
    if (vDryingClothes.state == OFF || vDryingClothes.state == null) {
        vDryingClothes.sendCommand(ON)
        var tts = "" //ttsFromName(triggeringItem.name)
        var sourceEcho = triggeringItem.name.split("_")
        for (String s: sourceEcho) {
          if (s != "LastVoiceCommand") {
              tts += s + "_"
          }
        }
        tts += "TTS"
        logInfo("Dry Mode On", tts)
        tts.sendCommand("Drying mode ON")
    }
end

I have an items as follows:

Group gEchoLastVoiceCommand
String Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand          "Last voice command" <echoCommand>   (Alexa,Alexa_House,gEchoLastVoiceCommand) {channel="amazonechocontrol:echo:account1:Echo_LivingRoom:lastVoiceCommand

I have other echos in the same group. With things defined as follows:

Bridge amazonechocontrol:account:account1 "Amazon Account" @ "Accounts" [amazonSite="amazon.com", email="removed", password="removed", pollingIntervalInSeconds=60]
{
    Thing echo                 Echo_LivingRoom          "Alexa" @ "Living Room"         [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Office              "Alexa" @ "Office"              [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Outside             "Alexa" @ "Outside"             [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Master_Bathroom     "Alexa" @ "Master Bathroom"     [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Guest_Room          "Alexa" @ "Guest Room"          [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Master_Bedroom      "Alexa" @ "Master Bedroom"      [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Porch               "Alexa" @ "Porch"               [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Home_Cinema         "Alexa" @ "Home Cinema"         [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_BrandonsBedroom     "Alexa" @ "Brandon's Bedroom"   [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Garage_Workshop     "Alexa" @ "Garage Back Workshop" [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echo                 Echo_Garage_BackWorkshop "Alexa" @ "Garage Workshop"     [serialNumber="removed"]
    Thing echoshow             Echo_Kitchen             "Alexa" @ "Kitchen"             [serialNumber="removed"]
}

My log pertaining to living room echo is as follows:

2019-06-06 16:44:28.363 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_MediaProgress changed from NULL to UNDEF
2019-06-06 16:44:28.366 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_MediaLength changed from NULL to UNDEF
2019-06-06 16:44:28.369 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_MediaProgressTime changed from NULL to UNDEF
2019-06-06 16:44:28.372 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_Remind changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.376 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_PlayAlarmSound changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.379 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_StartRoutine changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.382 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_TTS changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.385 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_PlayMusicCommand changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.388 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_StartCommand changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.390 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_MusicProviderId changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.392 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_AmazonMusicTrackId changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.394 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_AmazonMusic changed from NULL to OFF
2019-06-06 16:44:28.396 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_AmazonMusicPlayListId changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.398 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_RadioStationId changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.401 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_Radio changed from NULL to OFF
2019-06-06 16:44:28.403 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_ProviderDisplayName changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.405 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_Player changed from NULL to PAUSE
2019-06-06 16:44:28.407 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_ImageUrl changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.409 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_Title changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.411 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_Volume changed from NULL to 25
2019-06-06 16:44:28.413 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_Subtitle1 changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.415 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_Subtitle2 changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.418 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_Bluetooth changed from NULL to OFF
2019-06-06 16:44:28.420 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_BluetoothMAC changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.422 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_BluetoothDeviceName changed from NULL to
2019-06-06 16:44:28.425 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_AscendingAlarm changed from NULL to OFF
2019-06-06 16:44:28.427 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_NotificationVolume changed from NULL to 40
2019-06-06 16:47:19.982 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from NULL to alexa
2019-06-06 16:47:27.688 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from alexa to
2019-06-06 16:47:27.700 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from  to alexa
2019-06-06 16:47:31.020 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from alexa to dry mode on
2019-06-06 16:47:58.350 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from dry mode on to alexa
2019-06-06 16:48:02.013 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from alexa to dry mode on
2019-06-06 16:48:14.964 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from dry mode on to
2019-06-06 16:48:14.972 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from  to dry mode on
2019-06-06 16:52:46.550 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from dry mode on to alexa
2019-06-06 16:52:50.289 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from alexa to drive mode on
2019-06-06 16:53:11.939 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from drive mode on to alexa
2019-06-06 16:53:14.967 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from alexa to dry mode on
2019-06-06 16:53:38.772 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - Echo_Living_Room_LastVoiceCommand changed from dry mode on to start dry mode

bundle:list -s | grep -i amazon shows (why 2???):

322 x Active    x  80 x 2.4.0                  x org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol
336 x Installed x  80 x 2.4.0.Beta_8           x org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol

With all this, I never see my log entry and in fact, none of the actions that are supposed to happen do.

It looks like you have installed the binding in Paper UI and also have copied beta 8 to addons. Uninstall it from Paper UI.

If vDryingClothes is a new Item, this could be the reason why the rule is not running. An Item’s state can never be null, but it can be NULL.

The event.log will not show your log entries. You’ll need to look into openhab.log for those. I see errors in your rule though, which you should also see in the openhab.log too. For sending the message back to the Echo, use something like

sendCommand(triggeringItem.name.replace("LastVoiceCommand", "TTS"), "Drying mode ON")

I thought I had checked that but I went back and looked and sure enough it was installed. I uninstalled and now I just see on listed (and active) for the bundle:list. However, now it doesn’t activate:

2019-06-06 17:44:22.700 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'amazonechocontrol:account:account1' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to INITIALIZING

2019-06-06 17:44:22.763 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'amazonechocontrol:account:account1' changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (CONFIGURATION_PENDING): Wait for login

Are you saying I cant use [group].sendCommand() like I do for non-group items? I’ll play with that once the rule gets triggered.

EDIT

I am also getting the following strange messages in the log:

2019-06-06 17:44:23.012 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘amazonechocontrol:echo:618151a0:[valid_serial_num]’ changed from INITIALIZING to UNKNOWN
2019-06-06 17:44:26.385 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘amazonechocontrol:echo:618151a0:[valid_serial_num]’ changed from UNKNOWN to ONLINE

I have those for each of my echos defined in my account plus ones I don’t even have in my things file. Is this trying to do discovery or something?