Reliable Zigbee range extender

Hey,

I use Aqara window sensors throughout my whole house. Due to the Zigbee GW (Deconz Conbee II stick on a Raspberry PI 2B) being in the basement I use Zigbee power sockets on every floor to extend the Zigbee mesh up to the 2nd floor.

So far I used LEDVANCE Smart+ Plugs but their Zigbee connection was unreliable. After 7-10 days I had to re-pair them with the gateway which was not an option as I also had to re-pair all window sensors again.

Then I changed to Blitzwolf SHP13. They are very reliable when it comes to the Zigbee connection but this morning I lost one Blitzwolf. One of the main fuses fell out and the Blitzwolf smellt a little burned afterwards. It is a bit weird as there was no consummer ever connected to this socket. I only used it as a Zigbee extender.
A nice demonstration can be found here: :zap:Full power outage​:zap: What kind of quality control does BlitzWolf use on its Zigbee smart socket Blitzwolf BW-SHP13?

Now I am a little concerned as there are still 3 SHP13 in use and one is even powering my espresso machine.

Do you have any recommendation for a reliable smart socket which can serve as a Zigbee extender but also has reliable components and a reliable quality control?

Many thanks,
Oliver

Get a “maximum different” device or you might end up with the same bad electronics, just repackaged and rebranded.
IKEA are quite good also in terms of safety handling from the company side.
Don’t hope to get that from any of the Chinese suppliers.

You get what you pay for.

PS: it’s mesh so no need to replace devices, just extend your ZigBee network with these

1 Like

Zigbee2mqtt has good documentation on range

Best regards s

That’s not what I was asking for.

OK, I will give it a try. I just thought IKEA produces in China as well so it won’t make a big difference because in the end I only get cheap “Made in China” devices…

It still consumes some power itself to maintain the connection to the Zigbee network.

I’m happy with Peanut Plugs but I must say I’ve never done much to research their quality and such. I mainly use them to power low powered devices like lamps, Christmas lights, and humidifiers. I don’t know if they are only a U.S. or North American company or if they create devices world wide.

My main experience is with Zwave on this front but it might be relevant. I found that the range is mostly horizontal, not vertical. Instead of a hemisphere the range is more like a squashed flat ball. So even though I have devices well within range with nothing major between them, devices that are nearly on top of each other vertically are the only ones that see each other in the mesh. This created bottlenecks in the network because there was only one device that the controller could see so all traffic ended up routing through that one device, negating the benefits of the mesh. Adding a second device in a location on the same floor as the controller that devices on the lower floors could also see was a huge improvement.

I only bring this up because perhaps something similar is happening here which is why you are losing the window sensors when the outlets go bad.

1 Like