Replacement of Raspberry Pi 3

I am now using Raspberry Pi 3 but I want to have a little better response times for my scenes.

What should i use if i want some small energy efficient computer to run OH2.

/Mike

Hi,

I can recommend a Intel NUC, esp. NUC6CAYH.

I’ve used a PI2 and changed to the NUC some weeks ago.

I measured the power consumption with around 6 Watts (OH2 and some other services, 4GB, idle, no monitor)

The box is equipped with a fan, but you can easily configure it in the bios to stop when idle.

Pros over the PI are more CPU Power, much more RAM and the easy addition of a SSD.
Con is the price, around 170 EUR here, plus somewhat 30 EURs for 4 GB memory (DDR3L I think, I had some lying around here)

I’m running Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS.

OH2 can be set up with the great openhabian in no time.

Peter

2 Likes

Same here, i run an “old” NUC DN2820, changed the minimum PWM-Rate of the Fan to 0%, installed Debian 8 and switched my OpenHAB to this tiny little noiseless box. Celeron N2830 Dual Core with 4Gb DDR3L, WD GREEN SSD 2.5, plenty fast enough and idle 4-5W.
And the best: The “old” NUCs do have beautiful aluminium cases even with the not core-i-processors.

I switched from an rPi3 to a low cost laptop for 2 main reasons:

1. Battery Backup (I don’t have a UPS yet)
  2. More processing power (wanted to run multiple things on my Linux server at home)

The power consumption is not bad… I haven’t monitored it but the machine is idling most of the time (with the screen lid down) so it shouldn’t be much.

Hello Michael

I recommend to have a look at ``http://www.pokini.de/de/produkte/fanless-pcs/pokini-f

It’s fanless, but designed for 24/7, less power consuming, reliable and very small.

Sorry Peter but part of your post is not clear to me. You say you installed ubuntu and then openhabian. But how? Using apt-get?
From my small experience openhabian is only an sd image. Or not?

openHABian stands for a set of scripts to automate the setup and the configuration of your openHAB system (on every Debian/Ubuntu system). The openHABian project also provides ready to use SD card images for the Raspberry Pi and the Pine A64.

http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html#manual-setup

2 Likes